Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
Okay this hat was named on the item as a S Casiraghi of Milan.

Anyone want to bet this hat was owned by the late Stefano Casiraghi - deceased husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco?

First clue = he was from Milan.

Or is that the hat shop?

Next clue = there is not a shop of that name listed on Google.

Final clue = Stefano Casiraghi was a multi-millionaire = Super Borsalino
Bigger clue = the address is listed. I doubt he'd put his address
on his hat. I doubt he lived in Milan's famous Galleria shopping mall.
It's the store from which it came. I guess more than one
person in Milan had that family name.

I don't think we have any guide to "Super", "Extra", "Superiore",
and the X designations for Borsalino hats. Further, I'd suggest
there was no cut and dry definition, just as you cannot rank
with any certainty Stetson's #1 Quality, 3X, Sovereign, and so on.
Even within decades, the quality, thickness, and other factors
varied for Royal Stetson. These hats come from a time before
lists of ingredients and performance metrics. They are clothes
items, not laptops.

That said, any Borsalino from before the 60s is a wonder.

And BinkieB, that's not decoupage- the boxes were printed that
way in that period.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
I agree whole heartily.

I had quite a few email exchanges with the seller, and gathered a few pics. The name is a coincidence - if it were the hat owner, it would be to the side somewhere. From Besdor's hat museum input, we know that Italians were able to choose their own liners, so the pleated liner just indicates a creative purchaser. The liner logo has unusual wording (IMO) - I have a detailed pic of it. The 'Super Borsalino' designation was, according to another lounge thread, one of several they had in the '40s. Sweatband is reeded and connection is zig-zag, but I know with Borsos this stuff doesn't help much with dating. I have that same cloth size tag on a 1962 Borso, and paper tags on '40s Borsos, for what that's worth.

That's my input - that and $2.95....

BorsoTag.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
French Borsalino

Here's one I just acquired - 59 cm, unlined. The round tag was at one time affixed to the inside center of the hat, but has come loose. I don't know much else about this hat except I paid more than I wanted to, but couldn't resist the urge to see it up close...and it's brown with no edge binding :) I also like the taped sweat.

BorsFrFrontSide.jpg

BorsFrSweat.jpg

BorsFrLabel.jpg

BorsFrSweatDtl.jpg

BorsFrInside.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I think JtL just lost an auction!!!!

I dunno... I think that if Jimmy had wanted them, he'd have got them! :p

Have you ever noticed that auctions for more than one hat don't seem to do as well as they would have sold separately? My own theory is that while you may get two different buyers willing to go $250 say for a Borsalino, you're not going to get too many willing to go $500 for two.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
There have been so many nice hats up recently.

and all the hats that Scott has been unloading.

My heads halfway between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 - I'm finding I have to buy 3-4 hats off ebay to find a single 'keeper'.

I really wanted to buy a Panizza off the RMR website, but I would have to buy a 58 and a 59, then sell the one that didn't fit.

Anyone else have this problem?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I thought JtL was the private feedback bidder.

As to size, I stopped caring about precise fit. The Hat City is a 7 3/8 (a bit snug), I've got a bunch of 7 1/2s (just right), a 7 1/2 l.o. (a little loose), a 7 5/8 purchased with draft-stopper already behind the sweat to make it my size, and a 7 3/4 that I've stuffed. When it's windy, I grab a hat that fits snug or just right.

Dunlap prices clearly affected by the new thread, 7 3/8l.o.
!BT8sEy!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLlyg1NBKLDsC4eo!~~_12.JPG
!BT8r-RwCGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLlu)UgBKLDrof-D!~~_12.JPG
!BT8sCfgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1-OzBKLDr58OyQ~~_12.JPG

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I thought JtL was the private feedback bidder.

As to size, I stopped caring about precise fit. The Hat City is a 7 3/8 (a bit snug), I've got a bunch of 7 1/2s (just right), a 7 1/2 l.o. (a little loose), a 7 5/8 purchased with draft-stopper already behind the sweat to make it my size, and a 7 3/4 that I've stuffed. When it's windy, I grab a hat that fits snug or just right.

Whoever won these might be the bidder who's been making JtL pay top dollar. My suspicions, based on email exchanges with the seller, are that the the hats are 'mint for their age', which could mean friction holes in the felt, etc., which is why I felt nervous even betting $320. On the other hand, that afterthought pic of the two unbashed, looks mighty nice.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
7XCB OR, 7 1/2 I through out $220 at the end, but should have gone higher. I can't believe that a hat this great would go for less than $300 - even in the shape that it's in. Perfect, it's easily a $500 hat.
!BT9YCWQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjoEjlLm(,tvBKLGoG2,Vw~~_1.JPG
!BT9Y)fQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkMEjlLmV,uSBKLGq8k6Zg~~_1.JPG
!BT9Yfw!CGk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmQu1cBKLGp2bgZQ~~_1.JPG

billyspew

One Too Many
ScottF said:
My heads halfway between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 - I'm finding I have to buy 3-4 hats off ebay to find a single 'keeper'.

I really wanted to buy a Panizza off the RMR website, but I would have to buy a 58 and a 59, then sell the one that didn't fit.

Anyone else have this problem?

Same for me as well. Though I've found that most 7 1/4 I can soak and stretch over a week to fit and the 7 3/8 I can pad up slightly and the both work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou