Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

GWD

One Too Many
tonyb said:
Wow, four engines, by the (blurry) looks of it. Apparently an honest-to-goodness Stratoliner pin, as opposed to those seemingly more prevalent two-engine jobs.

Yeah! I've seen one or two of these pictured in the lounge. I'll post a better picture in the Stratoliner Society when it arrives.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's exactly the one Dixon and I have. I was watching it and am happy that it came to the Lounge. You got quite a deal too. Now that you have both pins, you can lead by example as to which one really should be worn on the Strat hat.

GWD

One Too Many
Lefty said:
That's exactly the one Dixon and I have. I was watching it and am happy that it came to the Lounge. You got quite a deal too. Now that you have both pins, you can lead by example as to which one really should be worn on the Strat hat.

I'll put one on each side, that way they will both be flying in the right direction. lol

Stoney

Practically Family
Congrats GWD,

I'm sure that you will have lots of fun with the stretcher. It's not everyday that you see one go at such a great price.

I just snagged this one, I may have to stretch it a little bit.
Not the greatest hat of all time, but I do like the color combo and the overwelt and oh oh oh the short brim and..yeah I do like it. My favorite style.

hatter2.jpg

hatter4.jpg

tortswon

Practically Family
Rollin' the Bones

I just purchased as a "Buy it Now," a Cavanagh. There was only one photo, and it depicted the hat upside down in its box. There was no photo of the hat itself. It was described as being "in very nice shape" made for Hudson's in New York. It is completely blind man's bluff. I took the plunge because the seller has 1666 transactions on eBay with 100% positive feedback. I view this as similar to buying a lottery ticket as the price was $15. I will post photos when in arrives. Feels like being on Let's Make a Deal just before the door opens. We shall see. Best, Sam[huh]

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
tortswon said:
I just purchased as a "Buy it Now," a Cavanagh. There was only one photo, and it depicted the hat upside down in its box. There was no photo of the hat itself. It was described as being "in very nice shape" made for Hudson's in New York. It is completely blind man's bluff. I took the plunge because the seller has 1666 transactions on eBay with 100% positive feedback. I view this as similar to buying a lottery ticket as the price was $15. I will post photos when in arrives. Feels like being on Let's Make a Deal just before the door opens. We shall see. Best, Sam[huh]

I agree with Feraud. I did much the same on THIS ONE.

The Panama turned out to be a Montecristi with 6 vueltas and about 600-700wpsi. It's winging it's way to Optimo in Chicago as we speak. Hopefully I'll get it back in time for my fiance to wear it this season.

The Stetson was NOT an 8-1/2, as suspected, but fits my 7-1/8 head just fine.

The Dobbs Rainbow is a beautiful specimen......had what appears to be the original trout fly tucked down into the ribbon.

All in all, well worth the $61 purchase price.

Hope yours turns out as well.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
HatDoc said:
The Panama turned out to be a Montecristi with 6 vueltas and about 600-700wpsi.

That lot sounds like a great buy.

Wouldn't a Mont. with that kind of wpi have more vueltas? Mine's only in the 500wpi range, and I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's got around 12. Am I wrong in believing that number of vueltas corresponds (somehow) to wpi?

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
That lot sounds like a great buy.

Wouldn't a Mont. with that kind of wpi have more vueltas? Mine's only in the 500wpi range, and I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's got around 12. Am I wrong in believing that number of vueltas corresponds (somehow) to wpi?

Not sure, Lefty. I didn't actually count the wpsi, but estimated based on my other Monty and my 5 Cuenca's. Maybe it's not that high. I'm sure the vueltas correspond, but not sure how closely. Maybe Bob or James could comment on that.

But I'm almost sure it's a Monty. It's a Llano weave, back-woven edge, very light. I have 3 other vintage eBay Panamas, but this one is VERY different. The other 3 (1 Stetson and 2 Adam's) are very nice Cuenca's....very tight Brisa weaves, but only 2-3 vueltas. The "new" one is a different animal altogether. Also, it's the same name as another Panama currently being auctioned, i.e. "Supernatural Genuine Panama". I can't link to it in this thread because it's against the rules. But you can search on that name and find it. Looks to be a very nice Monty, and it's a very similar weave to the one that I won.

tortswon

Practically Family
Congrats

That was a great buy for you! Congratulations. Hope mine works out nearly as well.

I like the avatar. Milburn Stone is probably smiling down right now. Best, Sam

Ande1964

Practically Family
Small Stetson 100 Gamble

Just won THIS ONE.

152358991_o.jpg

I don't know what this hat is, exactly. I'm hoping it really was a Stetson 100 at some point, but the lack of markings on the sweat concerns me. At any rate, I will have a lot of work to do when it arrives. The sweat will be coming out, and the felt will be cleaned and stretched.

Worse case, at $26, I hope I got a good deal on a nice felt body.

Anj

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure that I was one of the many watching that one.
Like you said, there are so many uncertainties - even the size was up for grabs - but for $26, it is certainly worth a shot.
Keep us posted on what you find out about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany