Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Is 7 5/8ths. a hard to find size?
Yes! Practically impossible, in fact. :(
In the past few years in which I have been procuring old hats and reselling them, I have encountered but 1 single specimen in that size! Just one out of about 40 or 50 hats. And it was not really vintage in the strictest sense of what I would consider true vintage, that is, older than 50 years or so. It was a "Borlasino", one of those Borsalino mimics, and it didn't exactly fit right. The vast majority of hats I have found have been in the size 7 to 7-1/4 range.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not a hat, but

this was my greatest ebay victory ever. I paid under $5 for these at a thrift store, and ended up with 4 bidders from Japan, and a winner from California who's named himself after an energy drink from Thailand. He's the guy who offered me $120 within 12 hours of the opening of the auction.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow.....Lefty

Lefty said:
this was my greatest ebay victory ever. I paid under $5 for these at a thrift store, and ended up with 4 bidders from Japan, and a winner from California who's named himself after an energy drink from Thailand. He's the guy who offered me $120 within 12 hours of the opening of the auction.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
That's amazing, you did well.
What makes them so in demand? [huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They're in demand for 3 reasons that I can see:
1. They're new old stock (or deadstock, I don't know the difference), with the paper tag still sewn on.
2. They're quite old. Based on my limited research into the company, the term sanforization, and a buying guide on ebay created by loungers, the union tag puts them between 1933 and 1939.
3. The Japanese are crazy for vintage American goods. I don't know if the buyer sells to the Japanese, or if he's Japanese himself, but the 4 bidders I know to be Japanese certainly contributed to driving the price way up.

I bought them to wear, but when they didn't fit, they sat in my closet on the pile of stuff I'd sell on ebay "someday", for months. I knew none of the info. in #2 when I bought them. I just thought they were cool.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool.....

Lefty said:
They're in demand for 3 reasons that I can see:
1. They're new old stock (or deadstock, I don't know the difference), with the paper tag still sewn on.
2. They're quite old. Based on my limited research into the company, the term sanforization, and a buying guide on ebay created by loungers, the union tag puts them between 1933 and 1939.
3. The Japanese are crazy for vintage American goods. I don't know if the buyer sells to the Japanese, or if he's Japanese himself, but the 4 bidders I know to be Japanese certainly contributed to driving the price way up.

I bought them to wear, but when they didn't fit, they sat in my closet on the pile of stuff I'd sell on ebay "someday", for months. I knew none of the info. in #2 when I bought them. I just thought they were cool.
Cool indeed....and thanks for the info. ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Anyone here get this one?
cool old western in rough shape
stetson1.jpg

What's the deal with this?

bc0a_1.JPG

b9ce_1.JPG

bec9_1.JPG

I emailed the seller to try to get a size or measurement, but just got back that it was custom made and had no size. Whether or not it's what he says it is and the name was stamped in later, it's an OR with a No. 1 quality insignia sweat - something I've never seen in an OR. Of course, 1 feedback point ...

GWD

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
Oh....Gary.....did you win that? I'm sorry. I'm holding it hostage for that Dunlap milan that you STOLE from me. :p

LOL if only it were true! I can't get any response from the seller, I don't understand it, he has great feedback. I'm going to give the seller a few more days then withdraw my payment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou