Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Michaelshane

One Too Many
rlk said:
...I won't be going out of my way to find a Whippet in my size(unless it was in a special color and/or cheap enough for resale). Doesn't stack up favorably against competitors "Whippet-Style" hats unless resale value is your priority.
Whippet's are not all the same.I have one that is very similar to my borsalino's,thin, soft,lightweight felt.The brown one...It has a thinner ribbon too.

R0015424.jpg
[/IMG]
R0015426.jpg
[/IMG]

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
Whippet's are not all the same.I have one that is very similar to my borsalino's,thin, soft,lightweight felt.The brown one...It has a thinner ribbon too.

R0015426.jpg
[/IMG]

What would your estimation be, Michaelshane?

One or two woofs thinner on the brown one?

Surely not a whole bark thinner...?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Interesting.

I have two Whippets. The brown one is one of my favorite fedoras. The proportions, felt quality, the flange of the brim... it's all just perfect, and that hat made me think that Whippets are, in fact, all that.

Then there's my grey one. It rates a 'meh'.

I've had the same experience with the Dobbs Hanover Squares. Some I've owned are awesome and some are just 'off' a little. The smallest degrees make a big visual difference in dress hats.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:

The same can be said for most (if not all) models or quality designations. I have noticed that this isn't fully appreciated around here. Most seem to think that all hats with the same marketing descriptors are the same. This just isn't so. Not all Stratoliners are the same. Not all Whippets are the same. Not all Clear Beavers are the same. Not all Royal Deluxes are the same. Not all Playboys are the same. Not all Alessandrias are the same. Not all Vagabonds are the same. Not all Flagships are the same. Not all Trionfos are the same. And so on right down the line. Once you've come across several examples of any type of hat (be it a particular model or quality designation) the differences are often as striking as the similarities. :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
The same can be said for most (if not all) models or quality designations. I have noticed that this isn't fully appreciated around here. Most seem to think that all hats with the same marketing descriptors are the same. This just isn't so. Not all Stratoliners are the same. Not all Whippets are the same. Not all Clear Beavers are the same. Not all Royal Deluxes are the same. Not all Playboys are the same. Not all Alessandrias are the same. Not all Vagabonds are the same. Not all Flagships are the same. Not all Trionfos are the same. And so on right down the line. Once you've come across several examples of any type of hat (be it a particular model or quality designation) the differences are often as striking as the similarities. :)
While I mostly agree with your premise, model names(Whippet.etc) are a lot more specific than quality designations(Royal DeLuxe) that are mere price points. The models may adjust over time but stand for specific style characteristics(Playboy and Playboy 2's aren't related except by spelling however).

Trionfo means nothing really. Clear Beaver isn't a model etc. so you are throwing together Apples and Automobiles. Most "Alessandria" models(not location of factory) are amazingly similar.

Stetson's lack of consistency of the felt of a specific model at the same price point is not a positive quality from a consumer point of view. Most people expect their Big Mac or Whopper to be the same every time and are disappointed when they discover it tastes different or there is skimping on the beef.

This isn't the only Whippet I've seen or felt. Its a Big Mac not a Prime Filet and the prices are absurd. Enjoy your Whippets and Kool-aid.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I meant to lump apples and automobiles together since, in my experience, the same general observation applies to both. I wasn't trying to be comprehensive either. Just wanted to get the general point across. I'm still confident that you, or anyone else who has handled enough hats to make the sort of comparisions I'm talking about, will have observed the same thing. I'm not saying that these various labels mean nothing, only that they are relative and spectral ... ;)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Were those two Whippets made in the same year? I must admit I don't see how Stetson, or anyone, could have maintained the same quality for the same price over the entire production period of the Whippet.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
L@@K!!!!

handlebar bart said:
The original owner got their money's worth out of that hat. Not sure that one will clean up very well.

Oh, if tackled by someone who knows what they are doing it should turn out OK. Whomever won it got themselves a pretty good deal.

What I want to know is has anyone ever been convinced to check out a listing because the seller put L@@K!!! in the title? For some reason I find that rather annoying, and if I L@@K!!! it's in spite of, not because of it being there.

It's funny the sort of things that can set people off, isn't it? lol

Cheers,
Tom

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
Oh, if tackled by someone who knows what they are doing it should turn out OK. Whomever won it got themselves a pretty good deal.

What I want to know is has anyone ever been convinced to check out a listing because the seller put L@@K!!! in the title? For some reason I find that rather annoying, and if I L@@K!!! it's in spite of, not because of it being there.

It's funny the sort of things that can set people off, isn't it? lol

Cheers,
Tom

I make a point of never clicking on any of those types of listings. They typically don't have good items, and the titles are just childish. If they don't have the maturity or the desire to at least put the effort into writing a proper title, they don't deserve my business. [huh] Of course, there are the people who cannot accurately describe or list the item (i.e. not putting the model name into the title because they have no knowledge of hats; but at least they try). The former group of people just seek attention with gimmicky names (L@@K!, or SUPER-RARE!!!!!, and so on), and don't take the time to legitimately advertise their product; thus it deserves not to be sold. :mad: Just me. Rant over.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Cross-Eyed Seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-40s-RESIST...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item45f3d49caa

I can't resist pointing this out - the seller's verbal description states that the size is 6 7/8, but fits more like a 7. The pictures include the production tag, which is marked 7 1/8! Nice looking Resistol, but I don't care for the 2 1/4 brim. Of course, that is suspect - it looks narrower than 2 1/4 to me, and this seller has some issues with accuracy. Anybody looking for a really nice 7 1/8 stingy?

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-40s-RESIST...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item45f3d49caa

I can't resist pointing this out - the seller's verbal description states that the size is 6 7/8, but fits more like a 7. The pictures include the production tag, which is marked 7 1/8! Nice looking Resistol, but I don't care for the 2 1/4 brim. Of course, that is suspect - it looks narrower than 2 1/4 to me, and this seller has some issues with accuracy. Anybody looking for a really nice 7 1/8 stingy?

NOTHING about the description matches the hat. Color, size, maker, store, NOTHING. No way I'm going for that opening bid without knowing what it is.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the seller put the wrong pictures to the description. It happens every now and then. Did anybody point this out to the seller? The seller sells hats all of the time so I doubt they are that misguided in the description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou