Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Stetson 50 / 7x Clear Beaver
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3049.jpg

--------------------------------

The Stetson 100
IMG_4406.jpg

--------------------------------

The Stetson 150
122_008.jpg

123_003.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I won't believe it's beaver until I see a flat tail coming out of the back.

danofarlington said:
So many questions get answered, for better or for worse, when you pull the trigger and buy one or two. ***That's much better than listening to other people talk IMHO.

:rolleyes:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
Possible that the 100 in question was marketed more as Stetson's 100th Anniversary hat by that time than the price designation? If I remember correctly, wasn't that one made in '65? Or at least around that time? :p
borbfb2kkgrhqmhdueumhhp.jpg

This tag lacks one very important thing if it is for a single hat...there is no mention of size, which makes me think it was a multiple order for various hats. I have never believed the $672.00 price for a single hat. A wholesale price for a dozen to me is more believable.[huh] [huh]
borhn2kkgrhquhc8euzlkm5.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Actually, I never thought about it as a bulk order. It makes much more sense to me like that. The letter is addressed: 'To our employees", upon closer inspection. Perhaps to a dealer selling to stores?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
borbfb2kkgrhqmhdueumhhp.jpg

This tag lacks one very important thing if it is for a single hat...there is no mention of size, which makes me think it was a multiple order for various hats. I have never believed the $672.00 price for a single hat. A wholesale price for a dozen to me is more believable.

Ah, Victor -- I think you've got it! Not only does that make sense, but, for the first time ever, I have actually noticed the "(100)" included as part of the price info underneath the $672 -- which may well suggest the retail price per individual hat.

Man -- not bad for "The Lounge Heckler"...:D

Cheers,
JtL

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Doing the math, $672.00 for 12 hats is $56.00 per hat, at cost. The retail price is $100 (obviously), so that is a 79% increase. A huge markup. Good to see that at least something has not changed over the years in the hat-making industry. :rolleyes:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterdays' BINs

VINTAGE GREY COWBOY HAT Size 7 3/8 By Roberts Hat/Texas

roberts2.jpg

roberts1.jpg

roberts4.jpg

I can find ZERO info on Roberts' Hats, Abilene, TX. The seller says there is no indication as to material, but I'm thinkin': 5x likely is 100% fur, at least. When asked he/she stated it was east to "punch" it out to an open crown & recrease it, so that gave some assurance it isn't cardboard stiff. I'll see in a week or so I guess.

LUXUS.jpg

LUXUS_INTERIOR.jpg

I got this one not from eBay but from a web site called "ETSY". It is from a vintage store in Riga, Latvia of all places & is a curiosity for sure. For thirty bones INCLUDING Int'l post I can't go too far wrong... I hope.
[huh]

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
fluteplayer07 said:
Doing the math, $672.00 for 12 hats is $56.00 per hat, at cost. The retail price is $100 (obviously), so that is a 79% increase. A huge markup. Good to see that at least something has not changed over the years in the hat-making industry. :rolleyes:

Not even close to a huge markup. Keystone would have been customary for the clothing industry but that dealer probably didn't meet the criteria for best pricing.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
You are among friends... many of whom have a snowballs chance of ever owning one... I'm just sayin' is all.
...I won't be going out of my way to find a Whippet in my size(unless it was in a special color and/or cheap enough for resale). Doesn't stack up favorably against competitors "Whippet-Style" hats unless resale value is your priority.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
...I won't be going out of my way to find a Whippet in my size(unless it was in a special color and/or cheap enough for resale). Doesn't stack up favorably against competitors "Whippet-Style" hats unless resale value is your priority.

My favorite 'Whippet-style' hat is the Dobbs Hanover Square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic