Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Trying so hard not to buy hats :(

I'm trying to stop buying hats that don't fit.

I'm learning to avoid the phrase "I don't see a size marked but..." - if they can't find the size markings they probably can't measure a hat either. What do they think the tag with "7 58" means? And what are they using to measure the inside circumference at 22 3/8"?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Not mine: Staggeringly beautiful off-white Resistol

BINed to death...in my favorite color... :( *sigh*.

381276846_o.jpg

381277912_o.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
BanjoMerlin said:
I'm trying to stop buying hats that don't fit.

I'm learning to avoid the phrase "I don't see a size marked but..." - if they can't find the size markings they probably can't measure a hat either. What do they think the tag with "7 58" means? And what are they using to measure the inside circumference at 22 3/8"?

A lot of hats lose size tags over time, especially on older ones, and often its not worth the risk of damage to stitching on sweatbands to flip it out looking for a reorder tag, so making the assumption that the hat not having a marked size means the seller can't see or measure isn't always the case. That being said, I've dealt with a lot of sellers who've gotten sizes wildly wrong.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Redwoodjedi said:
Damn....I was looking at that one as well Mario. You and I have the same size noggin. Oh well. *sniff* Goodbye Resistol!!

RJ

Yes, I hate to see it go. I love those light colored hats - which is funny enough considering that not long ago there was a time when I preferred dark or even black lids. Well, times they are a-changing...

But hey, the next one is already on its way! :)

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Yes, I hate to see it go. I love those light colored hats - which is funny enough considering that not long ago there was a time when I preferred dark or even black lids. Well, times they are a-changing...

But hey, the next one is already on its way! :)

I just got a light colored one in time for summer to showcase my Aloha Shirts with. I posted it on New Hats. I think you might approve of the crease! But yes, I agree. I think I look better in lighter colored lids. I might have to convert over to a nice Whippet or a Silver Belly.

I think you're just feeling Summer comin' on Mario. Bust out the hibiscus shirt and light up the Barbeque and get out a good brew.:)

RJ

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
Dude, what were you thinking? That is an incredible hat.

My snipe was $225, and it would have been worth every penny. But my gluttony has to be contained.

feltfan said:
After all the time you've logged on eBay, why would you think that?

I'm getting concerned about ScottF...

It's pretty amazing to see a $15 Whippet BIN, followed days later by a $599 Whippet BIN.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
Wow, that is a nice one! How on earth did you resist? :p

I've actually been pretty good about not looking at all. I just checked, and it's been almost a month and a half since I bought a hat! :eek: Well, not quite true... I bought a hat box a month ago that came with a hat I had no interest in at all. Paid $0.99 for it. UPS managed to crush it (the hat box) slightly. :rage: I'd paid for USPS Priority Mail; I think the seller thought she was doing me a favor by using UPS instead. :eusa_doh:

And now, back to whatever it is that's been keeping me away from eBay...

Cheers,
Tom

A month and a half without buying a hat? That is truly showing self-control.

I have a new one for you: I checked the status on a UPS item that was supposed to arrive last Friday, and it said - "NATURAL DISASTER". How can you get upset about something like that? (It turned out to be the victim of a rock-slide, and arrived Monday.)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Redwoodjedi said:
I just got a light colored one in time for summer to showcase my Aloha Shirts with. I posted it on New Hats. I think you might approve of the crease! But yes, I agree. I think I look better in lighter colored lids. I might have to convert over to a nice Whippet or a Silver Belly.

I think you're just feeling Summer comin' on Mario. Bust out the hibiscus shirt and light up the Barbeque and get out a good brew.:)

RJ

Well, no hibiscus shirt for me - I just put on my light gray 1950's Haspel seersucker summer suit, plopped on my gray Mallory (what a surprise!) and am now about to leave to get a few things done. After that there will definitely be a good brew coming my way - albeit sans the Barbeque. :D

rjenkins

New in Town
It's arrived! (From post #10533, a couple of pages back).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230466904175&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It looks virtually immaculate, just a trace of a sweat stain in the liner at the top front. It looks like I can turn the liner inside out and rinse the 'top' without actually wetting the hat.

The size tag is dark brown on the front and white on the back. It has a circular symbol on the back, 'United Hatters, Cap & Milliners Wkrs'. The tag is sewn to the band with nylon monofilament.

The only other markings are 'Luxuro finish' on the visible side of the band and a paper label on the back of the band with 'Felt Hat', '23486' & '47 50' printed on it.

Does anyone know if the advertised age is about right (late 50s) and possibly what the actual name or style of this hat is?

The only 'problem' with is is that it's a rather darker grey than the main photos show - the colour of the brim in the pic of the inside is more realistic.
Looks like I'll just have to find a lighter one as well. What a shame :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rjenkins said:
It's arrived! (From post #10533, a couple of pages back).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230466904175&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It looks virtually immaculate, just a trace of a sweat stain in the liner at the top front. It looks like I can turn the liner inside out and rinse the 'top' without actually wetting the hat.

The size tag is dark brown on the front and white on the back. It has a circular symbol on the back, 'United Hatters, Cap & Milliners Wkrs'. The tag is sewn to the band with nylon monofilament.

The only other markings are 'Luxuro finish' on the visible side of the band and a paper label on the back of the band with 'Felt Hat', '23486' & '47 50' printed on it.

Does anyone know if the advertised age is about right (late 50s) and possibly what the actual name or style of this hat is?

The only 'problem' with is is that it's a rather darker grey than the main photos show - the colour of the brim in the pic of the inside is more realistic.
Looks like I'll just have to find a lighter one as well. What a shame :D
More likely late '70's-early 80's

rjenkins

New in Town
Hi rlk,
that's quite possible.

I've just been browsing other threads and found a photo with the exact same shape paper label - a retailer's price tag. It looks like the seller omitted the dollar sign on this one and the '47 50' is actually '$47.50'

(The label style is in the last photo in this post, though mine does not have a seller's name: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=864864&postcount=1055 ).

That price, for a Stetson Sovereign grade hat, probably allows a pretty good approximation of the age (for someone knowlegable about hats, which I'm not).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rjenkins said:
Hi rlk,
that's quite possible.

I've just been browsing other threads and found a photo with the exact same shape paper label - a retailer's price tag. It looks like the seller omitted the dollar sign on this one and the '47 50' is actually '$47.50'

(The label style is in the last photo in this post, though mine does not have a seller's name: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=864864&postcount=1055 ).

That price, for a Stetson Sovereign grade hat, probably allows a pretty good approximation of the age (for someone knowlegable about hats, which I'm not).
I bought a similar one(Gray with a Satin Finish) from the Stetson Store in NYC for $45.00 I think in 1978 so that may be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran