Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

quite a good deal on what seems to be a very old size 7 1/4 western hat. Messed about a bit, but still …

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130710716243&si=0ZnAe6Pcgq9XsokSWzzJeZ%252FnFY4%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$(KGrHqR,!iQE-Zgcdo9zBP1PMDqV!Q~~60_57.JPG

...I looked at the hat/case that was the 6 7/8 deal on ebay, the case may not have worked for a larger size hat, not sure but it seemed smaller than any case I have owned, as if a larger hat just would have been too wide for the upper part of the case where it "holds" the hat in place.

There are different sizes of 100 cases mainly to address the wider brims more so than larger hat sizes.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Did someone here score the Alessandrea tonight or $215? I made an earlier lower offer, but knew it would sell before I could contact the seller. I was concerned that the 7 3/8 sizing might be English. Is there a way to determine from the tag which system is indicated? My limited experience with Borsos--including those sold by US stores--indicates that they can be confused, and I need to see the metric 58/59 to know for sure.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Did someone here score the Alessandrea tonight or $215? I made an earlier lower offer, but knew it would sell before I could contact the seller. I was concerned that the 7 3/8 sizing might be English. Is there a way to determine from the tag which system is indicated? My limited experience with Borsos--including those sold by US stores--indicates that they can be confused, and I need to see the metric 58/59 to know for sure.

Ray, I owned a bunch of Borsalinos and I'm yet to see one with UK or metric sizing. Certainly the European market models are marked in the Punti system and all my US market hats are in US size.

I'm sure that modern hats (I've never seen one from Borsalino) are marked in metric - maybe UK too?

I would bet the eBay hat is US size - it has the US patent info so was made for here.

TipTop

Practically Family
Ray, I owned a bunch of Borsalinos and I'm yet to see one with UK or metric sizing. Certainly the European market models are marked in the Punti system and all my US market hats are in US size.

I'm sure that modern hats (I've never seen one from Borsalino) are marked in metric - maybe UK too?

I would bet the eBay hat is US size - it has the US patent info so was made for here.

The two that I bought (and returned, remember the fuzzy red one?) were sold by Maxis Chicago, to the same person. The red one was OK, but the tan one (also 7 3/8) was also marked 60, which should be 7 1/2. Maybe it was a slip-up in labeling, and I don't have them anymore, so I can't check the exact data, but I recall warning the seller who took them back that it was mis-marked, and I suspected it was British sizing.

Both of my new Christies are treble-marked 7 1/4 UK, 7 3/8 US, and 59cm. And of course, if you've ever bought English shoes....well, let's say it's a moveable feast.

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Hey Wolfen.....yes that would be me..:D....I'm still a little amazed that I got it for only $88.00!!.. but maybe because the listing was a little obscure and the hat didn't show up on the fedora collectors site until a few hours before the auction ended. There were only 17 people watching at auctions end. Were you bidding on the hat or just watching the auction?

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
Hey Wolfen.....yes that would be me..:D....I'm still a little amazed that I got it for only $88.00!!.. but maybe because the listing was a little obscure and the hat didn't show up on the fedora collectors site until a few hours before the auction ended. There were only 17 people watching at auctions end. Were you bidding on the hat or just watching the auction?

I was bidding on that bad boy! I think my top was $85 (plus $15 shipping) to get an even hundred. I was surprised it stayed so low as well. I'm glad another lounger got it. If you ever consider selling it I call dibs. :D

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
I will not forget your dibs claim..;) If I decide to sell it I will shoot you a PM first. It is a sweet looking hat though, I can't wait until it gets here. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!
I was bidding on that bad boy! I think my top was $85 (plus $15 shipping) to get an even hundred. I was surprised it stayed so low as well. I'm glad another lounger got it. If you ever consider selling it I call dibs. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran