Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dumbjaw said:
Check out this oddness. A Stetson Open Road 7 1/4 LO that ended not too long ago. Looks fine. Well, this Stetson Open Road 7 5/8 LO from a different seller with no feedback just ended a minute ago. Look similar? How about the text? Once I realized it, I stopped planning to bid on it.

jecoe@earthlink said:
Very curious. Are the winners of either auction known to members on the Lounge? More importantly, note that the seller has a '0' feedback rating; that's a red flag for me, always.

...good eye, both of ya'll. There are other fishy components of the copy as well. Someone report this schmuck yet?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
Check out this oddness. A Stetson Open Road 7 1/4 LO that ended not too long ago. Looks fine. Well, this Stetson Open Road 7 5/8 LO from a different seller with no feedback just ended a minute ago. Look similar? How about the text? Once I realized it, I stopped planning to bid on it.

I was watching the 7 1/4LO one, but didn't see the other. Once you realized it, did you report it? Hopefully the buyer hasn't paid anything yet. I suppose it's possible the seller just "borrowed" the photos and copy to save himself some time and hassle and really has a similar hat for sale, but I think that's a long shot.

Regards,
Tom

MattJH

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
Once you realized it, did you report it?

I hadn't realized it until there was about 3 minutes left in the 7 5/8 auction. Out of curiosity, I did a search of completed Open Road auctions to see the general price they go for, and that's when I saw the picture and text duplication. It was too late, unfortunately. I did email the seller asking them why they stole the photograph and partial text, but there hasn't been any response.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
After I posted my last post above I sent the buyer a message suggesting that they check out the other auction as a head's up. I received a response asking what he should do (he'd already paid.) I suggested he send a message to the seller asking about the duplicate photos and requesting a photo of the real hat. I further suggested that if a hat arrives that doesn't look like the hat in the photo to file a dispute. I did say it's possible the seller was simply being lazy and actually does have a similar hat for sale. Since the buyer used PayPal he'll likely get back his money if he does file a dispute, but that's always a hassle no one needs.

I also suggested he come pay us a visit. :)

Regards,
Tom

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330246223900

.06 hat. Negative Positive feedback.

Isn't this a hat box?

hatbox.JPG

hatbox2.JPG

This is the feedback I get:

quick delivery & quality item but item said it came with hat box and it did not

I've got an ebayer now who ordered a 7 1/2, wanted a free exchange to a 7 3/8, then started mentioning things about a 3 inch brim and I said I could give as close as I have in stock. We made the exchange and now I'm sure he'll leave some negative feedback because the brim may be 2 3/4 or 2 7/8, but indeed the longest I had in stock in his size.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Looks like a hat box to me. Nothing fancy. Did you say "Fancy Hat Box"...didn't think so. By the way, for Disney people. I just bought this hat off ebay. Is there something undesirabale about it or something I do not know because no one even bid. The starting bid was $55.00 so maybe that is already the high end. Just wondering. I am also wondering what kind of hat box it will come in.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120280906771

Vintage Betty

Panamabob said:

Isn't this a hat box?

hatbox.JPG

hatbox2.JPG

This is the feedback I get:

quick delivery & quality item but item said it came with hat box and it did not

I've got an ebayer now who ordered a 7 1/2, wanted a free exchange to a 7 3/8, then started mentioning things about a 3 inch brim and I said I could give as close as I have in stock. We made the exchange and now I'm sure he'll leave some negative feedback because the brim may be 2 3/4 or 2 7/8, but indeed the longest I had in stock in his size.

Unfortunately, this is along the line of my ebay mantra:

The cheaper the sale, the more pain in the *ss the customer will be. :kick:

It is actually a nice box which doubles as a hat box, I wouldn't have complained at all.

You can always keep beefing up your descriptions, but if you have customers buying one of your hats for $26.05 including the shipping and than complaining about it, you are very unlikely to make them happy at all.

If you do want to avoid this type of customer in the future, you might want to say: hat is proudly shipped in its own sturdy hat box for future storage. We do not double box for environmental reasons.

Hope that helps and yes, I really do feel your pain. :deadhorse

Vintage Betty

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Isn't this a hat box?

Huh. Looks just like the hat box the Gus Miller-blocked hat I bought from you last year came in--nice and sturdy, perfect for keeping a hat safe!

Of course, my box has been sitting empty for quite a while since that hat has been the hat I've worn almost every time I've gone out since the weather turned warm. I like it!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

AlanC

Alucard73 said:
By the way, for Disney people. I just bought this hat off ebay. Is there something undesirabale about it or something I do not know because no one even bid. The starting bid was $55.00 so maybe that is already the high end. Just wondering. I am also wondering what kind of hat box it will come in.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120280906771

It's a homburg in a not particularly big size. Disney's also not that well known. It looks like a fantastic hat.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
It's a homburg in a not particularly big size. Disney's also not that well known. It looks like a fantastic hat.

Yes, I thought it was nice. A little tight for my head. We will see how it does. Thanks.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
One for the wife

The hats I'm selling on ebay seem to be paying for other hats on ebay.

I just won this for my wife yesterday.
The "ribbon" is felt.
My wife can pull off this sort of thing.
If I wore it, I'd soon be under Big Man's control.
a300_1.JPG

a3a9_1.JPG

Shane

New in Town
Panamabob said:

Isn't this a hat box?

It looks like a box and you put a hat in it. Your auction says "real hat box", which I think leads people to believe they are getting more than a box with a hat in it. If you are worried about people's expectations, change the wording in your auction to say that it will be shipped in hat safe packaging.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was bidding on this nervously. I really shouldn't, oughtn't, etc. Luckily I was away from home when it closed, or else I might have gotten carried away. Anyhow, that's how I rationalize losing it. This hat reminds me of the hats my grandfather is wearing in some of the pics I've posted, including my current avatar. I really wanted it. Sigh. Anyone here wind up with it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360066423519
But I DID win this one!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200237048319

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Help a Lounger out

I've got someone who contacted me about a buy-it-now for one of the items that I have posted on ebay now. The item is vintage, and I paid under $5 for it in a thrift store. There are no bids on the item, so ebay allows for me to add the BIN option. I looked into the buyer's feedback and found that he's big into vintage deinim and work clothing, so he knows his stuff.

The offer is $75, which is certainly high, but I know very little about the item, despite quite a bit of research, so I'm not sure if the offer is fair. This is obviously a hefty return, but might also be far less than the item is worth.

There are 3 watchers on the auction (he's probably one of them) and it's got around 35 hits in the 20 or so hours it's been up.

What do you think? [huh]

Edit: I just received another offer for $120. Based upon that, I've decided to let the auction run its course. I guess I found one of those thrift store treasures.

AlanC

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens with your auction, Lefty. With two competing offers it sounds like letting the auction run its course is the way to go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24