Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
That is the same hat (Playboy) which gtdean had to return because the size stated was not 7 1/2. It was more like a 6 7/8 or 7. The seller remeasured the hat and turned out to be more like 22".

MattJH

One Too Many
GoneSolo said:
That is the same hat (Playboy) which gtdean had to return because the size states was not 7 1/2. It was more like a 6 7/8 or 7. The seller remeasured the hat and turned out to be more like 22".

Er... but the seller said that the actual tag on the hat said 1/2. Are you saying it's a 6 1/2? How in the world would you get a 22" circumference reading on a hat sized 6 1/2? He'd be a full inch and a half off. Is that even possible?

Dumbjaw said:
Er... but the seller said that the actual tag on the hat said 1/2. Are you saying it's a 6 1/2? How in the world would you get a 22" circumference reading on a hat sized 6 1/2? He'd be a full inch and a half off. Is that even possible?
Matt, it is a 6 1/2, smallest hat that I have ever seen. The seller is a real jerk & very well documented in this thread. It is in spectacular shape but only for a child or small head woman. Sorry Dude....

MattJH

One Too Many
Wow. I just emailed him:

"To whom it may concern:

Hi there! I just got a interesting information from a gentleman who stated that this is the same hat he had won, but it turned out to be inaccurate. In the size description, you say it's definitely not a 7 1/2, but the hat size tag says 1/2 which generally implies 7 1/2. It could technically be a 6 1/2, but these are extremely rare and, even more importantly, the internal circumference of a 6 1/2 hat is 20.5" whereas you listed 22" which is much closer to a 7 1/2 which is 23".

In other words:

7 1/2 = 23" circumference
6 1/2 = 20.5" circumference

You list 22" and with a 1/2 size tag, it has to be a 7 1/2. Either that, or your measurement is over an inch and a half off.

I've got good feedback, so I've no intentions of leaving a bad impression, trust me! But now this hat is a mystery. Can you tell me definitively what the actual internal circumference of this hat is? It can't be 22". It's either 23" or 20.5". If it's 23", I'll send payment ASAP. If it's 20.5", then... I can't use it, I'm really sorry, and I know I'd be risking negative feedback, but I'm opening communication with you so that we can figure this out.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

- Matt"

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:

Sadly, when it comes to eBay sellers, anything is possible!

citRon

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
Sadly, when it comes to eBay sellers, anything is possible!

My favorite is when I asked the seller to verify the inner measurement of the 7 1/8, the reply was "Yes, the hat is 7 1/8" in circumference around the inside."

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
I haven't been at this very long and am surprised at how few sellers can manage something as simple as a cloth tape measure, their typical complaints being they don't own one or can't hold it against the sweat band. Once you explain to them where the inside of the sweat band is, anyway. They don't ever seem to own masking tape or string, either.

There's one active auction I'm looking at this week where the seller has published a half dozen size questions she provided rather wordy answers to, yet after 6 or 7 answers I still don't have the slightest clue what size the hat is.

Perhaps the collective wisdom here could devise a common recommendation for measuring a hat's size that even a small child could follow. Here's a stab at it:

The Stanford-Binet Challenge Guide to Measuring Hat Size

Materials Required: Cellophane packing tape, Sharpie Pen, Tape Measure or Ruler.

1. Using your index finger, wipe some skin oil from the top surface of your nose onto the leather sweat band that's inside the hat. It will prevent tape damage. Disregard this if the band is cloth.

2. Cut a length of cellophane packing tape around 26" long.

3. Holding the tape at each end and keeping it taut, slide the sticky surface over your pants or skirt leg lightly to pick up some lint and take some of the stickiness out of the tape.

4. Using one hand, stick one end of the tape to the inside of the hat's leather sweat band, using the other hand to gradually stick the tape to the inside circumference of the leather band. Smooth the tape as you go so it doesn't bunch up.

5. Before overlapping the tape, make a fine mark on the tape where you began using a Sharpie, being careful not to get ink on the hat. Then overlap the tape along the inside circumference and make a second mark atop the first.

6. Carefully remove and straighten the tape, and measure the distance between your two marks.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Try this on your own hat. It works.

Gentlemen, I have posted this before but here it is again.
As noted by Baron Kurtz on more than one occasion, the opening of a hat is an ellipse, not a perfect circle. In order to determine the circumference of an ellispse you need two things: the length of the opening (front to Back) and the width of the opening (side to side). With these two measurements and the following ellipse calculator, you can determine the interior circumference of a hat. Click on the link below and paste the resulting url in your favorites. Then it will be available when you need it.
Here's the link.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html

Dumbjaw said:
Wow. I just emailed him:

"To whom it may concern:

Hi there! I just got a interesting information from a gentleman who stated that this is the same hat he had won, but it turned out to be inaccurate. In the size description, you say it's definitely not a 7 1/2, but the hat size tag says 1/2 which generally implies 7 1/2. It could technically be a 6 1/2, but these are extremely rare and, even more importantly, the internal circumference of a 6 1/2 hat is 20.5" whereas you listed 22" which is much closer to a 7 1/2 which is 23".

In other words:

You list 22" and with a 1/2 size tag, it has to be a 7 1/2. Either that, or your measurement is over an inch and a half off.

I've got good feedback, so I've no intentions of leaving a bad impression, trust me! But now this hat is a mystery. Can you tell me definitively what the actual internal circumference of this hat is? It can't be 22". It's either 23" or 20.5". If it's 23", I'll send payment ASAP. If it's 20.5", then... I can't use it, I'm really sorry, and I know I'd be risking negative feedback, but I'm opening communication with you so that we can figure this out.

- Matt"
Matt,
The internal circumference of that hat is 20 1/2". Using Carter's elipse calculator, it comes in close to that. I posted my actual measurements & all of the correspondence with this seller hoping to protect anybody here from getting taken in. Sorry that I failed. I actually did another thread about never seeing a "1/2" tag that meant "6 1/2" instead of "7 1/2". Thought I had made my delimma as public here as I could.
DO NOT send payment for this & take the negative feedback! Look at the seller's feedback & you'll see my negative comments. He even lies that I threatened him, which never happened.
If you pay, even with PayPal, you won't have a chance getting your money back as he stated " 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 but not 7 1/2" in his listing.
IMHO...

MattJH

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
If you pay, even with PayPal, you won't have a chance getting your money back as he stated " 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 but not 7 1/2" in his listing.

But he also answered a question from a potential bidder saying that the circumference was 22". Either way, he's not getting my money thanks to your original thread (which I do remember, I just didn't when I was looking at the auction - heh).

Dumbjaw said:
But he also answered a question from a potential bidder saying that the circumference was 22". Either way, he's not getting my money thanks to your original thread (which I do remember, I just didn't when I was looking at the auction - heh).
If he stated the circumference was 22", it had to be around the outside, not the inside! I know how you get caught up with the idea of that sweet of a hat, but so glad you haven't paid. I cannot tell you the let down when I opened that box & found a hat that was almost the right size for my dog! :( :mad:

MattJH

One Too Many
Dumbjaw said:
Wow. I just emailed him:

"To whom it may concern:

In other words:

- Matt"

Response from the seller:

"Matt we will cancel the sale this is baffling...my partner will be contacting you tomorrow."

My response back:

"Understood. If I may make a suggestion for when you relist it, list it as a definitive size 6 1/2 with a 20.5" internal circumference measurement. This will allow for no room for question or error, and every bidder will know exactly what size the hat is. Good luck!"

carter

I'll Lock Up
Matt, I'm glad to read that the seller has been amenable to cancelling the transaction. Hopefully they'll take your advice if they relsit the hat one more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails