Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Me too...

carouselvic said:

I was a little surprised that this went for almost $200 given the condition. I asked some questions about the stains and the condition of the sweat band. The seller responded that the sweat was flexible and not cracked but was coming unsewn from the front and rear of the hat. Also said there were stains and surface dirt, but "the stains will come out." Like he knows. I thought it odd but understandable that he did not post my questions and his answers on the auction page. I figured cleaning and resewing the sweat would add about $100 including shipping to/from some place like Rand Hats or Optimo. Still, you don't see those 7X clear beavers in a large size all that often.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
My green Borso is at Optimo too and I got a sweat in the mail today. I tried to talk them into keeping the original sweat in the hat, but they insisted it needed to be replaced. Truth is, it probably did. When it gets back I'll be sure to post a pic of it over my bald spot. lol

Those Borso's are nice, nice hats. The felt is unbelievable. I'm still shopping for a gray one. But they aren't the ONLY hats, right?

I really need to get up to Optimo one of these days. They're only a couple of hours from me, and I think I need one of their hats for my family.

Only two hours away and you haven't been !?!?! Your green one looked so nice that I'm surprised to hear the sweatband had to be replaced, but my experience is that Borsos run a little small - even some of my 7 3/8's are tight. PM on the way regarding a grey one.

When I first called to ask about Borso unreeded sweats, I was told that sometimes they can use them (not replace), but I wonder if that's been the experience of any of you? I haven't heard any examples of a Borso unreeded sweat becoming disattached, and Optimo being able to sew it back on. Thoughts?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Inusuit said:
I was a little surprised that this went for almost $200 given the condition.
*** I figured cleaning and resewing the sweat would add about $100 including shipping to/from some place like Rand Hats or Optimo. Still, you don't see those 7X clear beavers in a large size all that often.

Yep, for around $300, the buyer gets any style of hat he wants from Optimo, with a new sweat, block, & ribbon, but made with some of the best vintage felt.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I came in second and would have hit it harder if I already didn't have so many other irons in the fire. That one was late 40's or very early 50's.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Only two hours away and you haven't been !?!?! Your green one looked so nice that I'm surprised to hear the sweatband had to be replaced, but my experience is that Borsos run a little small - even some of my 7 3/8's are tight. PM on the way regarding a grey one.

When I first called to ask about Borso unreeded sweats, I was told that sometimes they can use them (not replace), but I wonder if that's been the experience of any of you? I haven't heard any examples of a Borso unreeded sweat becoming disattached, and Optimo being able to sew it back on. Thoughts?

Haven't been YET. lol I'm a bit afraid to go. I'm likely to find multiple hats there I can't live without, and at Optimo prices, multiple is a bit unrealistic. We thought about going up over summer, but I think fall will work better. If (when) I buy a lid there I'll be wanting to wear it out of the place, I'm sure.

I've sent them three hats now, and they wanted to replace the sweats in all of them. The first was a Stetson 25 that was quite a bit too small. The second was a Borso Alessandria that was a bit too small. And the third the green Borso that was also a bit too small. I don't really mind them replacing the sweats though because I doubt I'll sell the hats, and I asked them to return the original sweats for both Borso's. The upside is that I have three more lids that I can wear, and all three do or will fit pretty much like customs.

PM received, Scott, reply sent. Definitely interested enough for pics. Thank you.

Garrett

Lefty said:
tiny and amazing Lamson Hubbard boater
pic15064.jpg
pic15065.jpg

Really looking forward to this Boater. It looks to be similar in weave to this gentleman's

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36268&highlight=palm+beach+cloth

Now all I need to do is find a vintage ribbon as wide as his!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
unreeded sweats

Generally if the unreeded sweat has pulled out it is too worn for the stress of sewing back on as the stitches may pull through the edge of the leather. They have replaced all the ones that I have brought in that had some damage. Only a 1930's Stetson where the sweatband was like new was it reattached after cleaning.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Generally if the unreeded sweat has pulled out it is too worn for the stress of sewing back on as the stitches may pull through the edge of the leather. They have replaced all the ones that I have brought in that had some damage. Only a 1930's Stetson where the sweatband was like new was it reattached after cleaning.

That makes sense - thanks.

I bought some nice leather for making my own sweats - plan is to remove the reeded band from junk hat sweats and stitch it to my nicer leather, then sew into the hat. This should also work for vintage unreeded sweats that have come loose - I can just cut off the bottom of the band that has the old stitching, then sew on the reed. It's going to be a little messy getting started, but should be an interesting project.

My reason for doing this isn't just to save old sweatbands, but mainly because the new leather bands I just bought...well...are of marginal quality, and I don't see any other alternative.

MattJH

One Too Many
Just won this size 8 Stetson Medalist for a great price, if you ask me. I emailed the seller asking why they think the hat is a size 8, and they said the size tag says S/8. Based on the fact that it's a 5/8 and considering the dimensions in the auction description, I'm inclined to think it's my 7 5/8 size. I hope so! What do you think?

Also, is this a homburg? It sort of looks like it. Not sure.

Even if it's the wrong size, I've been waiting to get a Stetson hatbox showing Philadelphia scenery for quite a while now, and I'm glad to finally have a piece of hometown history!

2adf_1_sbl.JPG

2bfa_1_sbl.JPG

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
Just won this size 8 Stetson Medalist for a great price, if you ask me. I emailed the seller asking why they think the hat is a size 8, and they said the size tag says S/8. Based on the fact that it's a 5/8 and considering the dimensions in the auction description, I'm inclined to think it's my 7 5/8 size. I hope so! What do you think?

Also, is this a homburg? It sort of looks like it. Not sure.

Even if it's the wrong size, I've been waiting to get a Stetson hatbox showing Philadelphia scenery for quite a while now, and I'm glad to finally have a piece of hometown history!

2adf_1_sbl.JPG

2bfa_1_sbl.JPG

Matt, I wondered if it might be a 7 1/8, but based on your info it should be 7 5/8. It is most assuredly a homburg.

feltfan

Garrett said:
Lefty said:
tiny and amazing Lamson Hubbard boater
pic15064.jpg
pic15065.jpg

Really looking forward to this Boater. It looks to be similar in weave to this gentleman's

dandy_shorpy.jpg

Now all I need to do is find a vintage ribbon as wide as his!

I want his jacket, tie, and shirt. You can have the boater.
I suspect your L-H boater will be softer- maybe even Milan material.
I think the original ribbon is pretty cool, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner