Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elle's No Makeup Issue

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
matrioshka said:
Part of me wants to put them on the pinup thread, but I don't want to cause controversy either.
Of course it's up to you and your comfort level but I see nothing that should be controversial. You look lovely and your posing is so natural. I agree with Kitty's assessment of the rules.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They *are* great pics -- nothing offensive in the least -- and we're more than happy to see them posted in co-ed threads like this one. But Lady Day and I have been discussing it, and after careful consideration we've agreed that it's in the best interests of all involved to keep the Pinup thread itself women-only.

Matrioshka asked us in PM for permission to post in that thread, which was very much appreciated -- if in doubt about any aspect of Lounge policy, please ask us directly and we're happy to help. We've explained to him our reasoning in this particular case, and have assured him that he's welcome to continue posting in general Powder Room and Beauty threads.

And now back to the very interesting discussion at hand....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Matrioshka, are you wearing a red lipstick or more of a wine-pink colour in those shots? It looks great.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
matrioshka said:
retrokat5.jpg

I know I'm not fooling anyone, but it's an interesting side hobby of mine.

To the moderators: If you find this offensive, feel free to delete this thread. I'm OK with that.

M

This is my favorite picture! It screams 'I may be sweet, but my gun ain't!' Also - the makeup is incredible! Well done!!

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Darhling,

Thank you. I'm glad you like that one, it combines two of my interests.

And now, one more image:

DSC02773.jpg

This is the first time I ever posed in front of a camera en femme. I was just a trifle nervous...

M

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love how you make that bold print work. I still haven't figured out how to wear big prints instead of having them wear me, but you look great. I like the bob hairdo, too.

Antje

One Too Many
In holland we had a magazine a couple of years ago, were the dutch stars would all wear no make up either,

unfortionatly they took a lot of pictures of a lady who's ambasador of plastic surgery, and she wears tattood makeup so you don't have a real picture of how they are in real.

I do think they put those lady's under nice lamps and things just to make it look a little better than in real live

Blondie

Practically Family
matrioshka said:
Darhling,

And now, one more image:

DSC02773.jpg

This is the first time I ever posed in front of a camera en femme. I was just a trifle nervous...

M
You look fabulous, good for you !!!!!!!!!!!

Lillemor

One Too Many
matrioshka said:
Darhling,

And now, one more image:

DSC02773.jpg

M

To have "stand out" eyes like that...*dreamy*:) Several of the ladies do too.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I just came back from the gp. She looked at my cheeks and gave me a sample creme to try for the next...oh, few months and of course to discontinue if my skin acts up. In the same time I'm not allowed to wear anything but lip and eye make-up on my face; no foundation or powder.:eek:
Great, I've got these awful looking cheeks and now I'm not allowed to cover them up during the day.

I know it makes sense but I really hate the thought of going bare faced. I feel about make-up the way some women feel about certain other items they wear. I feel naked and vulnerable without a layer of foundation. I know that feeling is irrational but I just can't kick it. Have felt this way since I was 14.:eek:

So now I'm aging (my face is dropping so to speak) and I've got these awful breakouts and I'm not allowed to conceal or enhance my skin.:(

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Lillemor,

When I showed these to a friend of mine, she couldn't believe that was me. I had to tell her: "Don't look at the face, look at the eyes."

Viola,

That dress was a Ebay find. I went to buy another, and that seller vanished. Go figure...

Blondie,

Thank you for the compliment.

M

SayCici

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
There are lots of things I am self-conscious about. The cellulite on my butt and thighs, my small chest, my skin without makeup. What do I do when I wake up next to someone special in the morning? Leave my shirt off, prance around in my underwear and don't put a stitch of makeup on. I KNOW in my heart of hearts that my insecurities are silly, which is why I ignore them and do anything BUT cover-up the things that bother me.

Being out in public, for the most part (except at the beach, maybe), I will wear make-up. But that's a bit different to me, since I am presenting myself to people that don't know me personally. Either way, I force myself to fake confidence if I'm not feeling it, just as an eff-you to today's beauty standards. Makeup or no makeup, I'm not a tall, skinny, fake tan blonde, and never will be. I'm just myself, take it or leave it. It's all I ever will be and if I don't like it, who will?
I'm the same way! I've never been one to wear a lot of make-up, one reason being that I'm not a very skilled applicator, but any anxiety I might feel over a pimple or an acne scar disappears when I'm with my husband (or around close family). I'd so much rather be having fun than fretting over a blemish that might not even be noticed, and probably no one cares about.

When I started high school I did the same thing - I faked confidence and somewhere along the way realized I actually had it! Everyone should be able to look at themselves in their unadulterated form and love what they see. :] Make-up is just for fun or completing a look!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
I'm the same way! I've never been one to wear a lot of make-up, one reason being that I'm not a very skilled applicator, but any anxiety I might feel over a pimple or an acne scar disappears when I'm with my husband (or around close family). I'd so much rather be having fun than fretting over a blemish that might not even be noticed, and probably no one cares about.

When I started high school I did the same thing - I faked confidence and somewhere along the way realized I actually had it! Everyone should be able to look at themselves in their unadulterated form and love what they see. :] Make-up is just for fun or completing a look!

Good point. I still have serious confidence issues when it comes to flirting with people I'm interested in :( Not only do I need make-up, I need a stiff drink to feel confident and to keep my heart still. I feel too much and I think too much. I wish it wasn't like this of course :eusa_booh

MissHannah

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
KittyT, thanks for starting this thread!

I like the idea of a no make-up, no photoshopping Elle issue. I can understand your reactions though. If you're going to have a no make-up issue, you should go all the way and make it hardcore. Show the way people really look, in daylight, skin with pores *gasp* :eek:

Beware: cherry lips is going to get personal again!
I'm as vain as the next girl (in some respects, probably more vain haha!), but I'm also queer (in every sense of the word except gay), a feminist, a thinker, a rebel, and last but not least, lazy. If I know my photo will be taken (photoshoots/ FL get-togethers/ gigs), and people who's opinion I actually care about will be looking at me, I'll wear full make-up (contacts, foundation, mascara... the works). This also goes for going out dancing on weekends looking for a lover boy hehe.
However, every other day of the week I wear nothing except lipstick! And I'm not one of those people with flawless skin, I'm just one of those people with guts;) I have large pores, black heads, pimples, a little acne on my neck, a shiny nose and forehead, an uneven skintone, fine lines, glasses that shrink my eyes to half their size, etc. But I don't care! Sometimes I don't wear lipstick if I'm just taking the dog for a quick pee. (I do love my lippy though.) In the summer I like to wear transparent powder to look a bit more matte. Or put pore minimizer on my nose.

Remember: Men don't wear make-up.

P.S. If anybody's close enough to see my pores, that person better love me enough to think they're pretty (kissing distance etc).:eek:fftopic: And don't even get me started on the bikini wax some of the fellows here at the lounge are fond of! A guy should get down on his knees and thank his lucky star if he gets to meet my fujiyama mama ;)

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
It's about time someone bumped this thread! Swedish celebrity Carolina Gynning has started attending parties without make-up. She says it can make her feel invisible at times, but it also makes her feel more relaxed.

Without make-up
gynningosminkad1.jpg

gynningosminkad4.jpg

With make-up:
bild-3316_40909586.jpg

blond_gynning.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone read "Hope in a Jar" by Kathy Peiss? Sounds interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Jar-Making-Americas-Culture/dp/0805055517
In this lively social history of America's beauty culture, freelance writer Peiss traces the background and growth of the billion-dollar U.S. cosmetics industry over the past century. Relating cultural changes at the end of the 19th century, she observes that using makeup, heretofore forbidden for "nice" women, became a lightning rod for larger conflicts over female autonomy and social roles.
"Not only tools of deception and illusion," says historian Kathy Peiss of our culture's powders and pastes, "these little jars tell a rich history of women's ambition, pleasure, and community."

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Make-up is marvelous, but I think it's important for women to be able to feel pretty without as well.
Here are pics of my crush Elsa Billgren without make-up:

elsa13.jpg

elsa2-8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner