Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elle's No Makeup Issue

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
you know what though?? im strongly against the "no make-up thing" and i haven't worn one ounce of make-up since my honeymoon!!!!!! which was february 18th........so its been a few months since ive clawed the powder box in need of a "fresher look".........i really don't feel the need to wear make-up now because im blonde now....the color just says it all. AND,because i have so many piercings on my face i just look better without make-up because im not over-doing the whole look...so im half natural,why??why is it that i just realize this? boy im tired tonight!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
It's funny, I think of those candids I would have to say Jessica Simpson is the most appealling of the three... and I never would have said that in airbrushed photo vs. airbrushed photo of them all in magazines.

CheshireKat

New in Town
Lillemor said:
Are everyone else reading my post as a sweeping generalization about men? It wasn't intended as such and I don't read it that way and I've really read over it several times. I'm sorry if that's how it reads to others.

It's the ancient Curse Of The Internet: no vocal or body/facial cues + own emotional filters = Miscommunication Strikes Sometimes.

pigeon toe said:
Judith Butler wrote that all gender presentation is "drag" in a sense, whether you were born a man and dress like the most butch dude on the block, or you're a man who dresses like a glamorous vixen -- it's both drag. It's not in our biology that determines how we dress or decorate ourselves, it's our outward expression of our gender identity.

BRAVA!! Where we are living in culture and time determines what we decide are "masculine" and "feminine" norms. It's very liberating to be aware of that, instead of being driven to do things a particular way because of an unconscious unease about not living up to whatever physical ideal we have. But we're all dealing with that pressure to conform to some extent.

CheshireKat

New in Town
Viola said:
It's funny, I think of those candids I would have to say Jessica Simpson is the most appealling of the three... and I never would have said that in airbrushed photo vs. airbrushed photo of them all in magazines.

My reaction, too.

And I only just found out who she is. I am so out of the loop.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
That's definitely an interesting point. Judith Butler wrote that all gender presentation is "drag" in a sense, whether you were born a man and dress like the most butch dude on the block, or you're a man who dresses like a glamorous vixen -- it's both drag. It's not in our biology that determines how we dress or decorate ourselves, it's our outward expression of our gender identity. That's how I would justify my dressing up, wearing girdles and stockings, doing my hair and make-up in such an done-up way -- it was drag, and I was performing my gender in the most obvious way possible.

I think it makes a statement that, "no, I didn't roll out of the bed looking like this, I'm performing for you and women aren't naturally this way". I think to go against the grain of the natural look, if that's your mode of self-expression, is feminist in the sense that it dismantles the idea that women are "naturally" beauty queens. It, like you said, Lilimor, isn't playing games.

I haven't had my coffee yet, so does anyone else get what I'm saying here?

YES! I've been thinking somewhat along these lines ever since I got into dressing vintage, but I could never put it as precisely and articulate as you just did.

I have been trying to explain this to female friends who do the 'androgynous' gender bender thing, but I never feel my point come across correctly. My feeling is that if gender benders are doing 'gender identity terrorism', then perhaps what we are doing is 'gender identity détournement' or 'subversion', or something like that?

Now I'm going to listen to "Arnold Layne" by Pink Floyd, a song which seems to capture this sentiment.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Age changed it for me...

When I was in my 20s, yes, I could go natural and look fine. Pale, but fine. But as I am older, I look worse! Not only are there lines and spots and freckles, but unfortunately getting older seems to have no effect on acne. And getting gray hair also washes you out. The overall effect is blah.

I feel like I owe it to the world to at least not be off-putting. If I know I am going to be seen by anyone but the dog and the boss at work, I put on the minimal day makeup (concealer, eyebrows, powder, mascara, lipstick). Otherwise I get the kind questions as to whether I am feeling all right...

And of course, if I am doing anything physical like gardening, exercise, the beach, etc., there's no point in wearing any makeup, it all runs off. Just LOTS of sunscreen!

On the other hand, even when I am all made up for a special occasion, I am wearing a more natural style (still 30s but not so heavily plastered on) than I did back in my youth. And for day to day, generally less.

I guess it is a personal preference. I wish I were able to look good without it but I just don't. Having a nice even skin tone would help, but I am not one of the lucky ones.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss 1929, that's exactly it! I've seen my mom undergo this change also, she looks so much more spectacular if she puts on just a touch of lipstick and rouge. I'm expecting this development myself. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss 1929, I can certainly sentiment the part of the first paragraph and all of the last paragraph. Unfortunately, I never had nice skin, I just didn't appreciate what I had and didn't know how much worse it was going to get.

jayem

A-List Customer
I'll agree with the above posters--they are wearing a tincy bit foundation. Not to forget the superb lighting and neutral tones.

I actually don't wear make up often anymore. I stopped wearing make up to work to boost my self-esteem, and it's worked. I'm much more used to my natural face, and am starting to see the bits of beauty in it I was born with. Plus, to be honest, wearing make up when you work at a hospital is silly anyways since you're sweating so much and things always get stuck in your eyes.

I just make sure to wash my face twice a day so I don't break out and have porcelain pretty skin.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Since I brought it up...

I would be lost without makeup.

This is me sans makeup:

potzdam1740-1.jpg

This is me with makeup (and other bits of artifice to achieve the look). These are the most recent ones I've done. This forum and others gave me the inspiration to try something retro.

retrokat7.jpg

retrokat1.jpg

retrokat5.jpg

I know I'm not fooling anyone, but it's an interesting side hobby of mine.

To the moderators: If you find this offensive, feel free to delete this thread. I'm OK with that.

M

Lillemor

One Too Many
Stunning! It really brings your eyes out.

Well, my skin's anti make-up these days so it doesn't really matter how I feel about the issue.:mad: So I'm only using lipstick and eye make-up. I tone that down because dark lips and heavy eye make-up looks strange to me without the "canvas" being properly prepped for it.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
To all of you:

Thank you for the compliments. I thought about putting them in the pinup thread, but guys aren't allowed to post in that one. Should I ask the mods for permission?

The contrast is amazing, isn't it?

And to keep with the spirit of the thread: I've found that "natural" is the most contrived look of all.

M

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
ShrinkingViolet said:
YES! I've been thinking somewhat along these lines ever since I got into dressing vintage, but I could never put it as precisely and articulate as you just did.

I have been trying to explain this to female friends who do the 'androgynous' gender bender thing, but I never feel my point come across correctly. My feeling is that if gender benders are doing 'gender identity terrorism', then perhaps what we are doing is 'gender identity détournement' or 'subversion', or something like that?

Now I'm going to listen to "Arnold Layne" by Pink Floyd, a song which seems to capture this sentiment.

Wow, it is exciting for me to read all this discussion on gender, I had no idea so many people feel the same way, relating vintage clothing to gender performativity! I wear wigs, false eyelashes, fake nails, girdles, etc when dressing as a woman, but I also "do" masculine gender (to use Butler's term), which involves much of the same appropriation of certain symbols or images to which we attach cultural meanings about gender.

I also dress angrogynously, but I link that more to punk styles. Part of the appeal of vintage for me are the Golden Era conceptions of masculinity and femininity.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
matrioshka said:
Thank you for the compliments. I thought about putting them in the pinup thread, but guys aren't allowed to post in that one. Should I ask the mods for permission?

I would think you are a special case, as you are posting your own photos and aren't just a fella posting "wow, you're so hot" comments to the ladies.

cecil

A-List Customer
matrioshka said:
I know I'm not fooling anyone, but it's an interesting side hobby of mine.

M

Wouldn't be so sure, that second photo is damned good!

Do you do all the makeup yourself?!

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
Wouldn't be so sure, that second photo is damned good!

Do you do all the makeup yourself?!

Not on those photos. That's the work of Clare, the woman who took them. I'm learning to do my own, when I can find the time.

She does nice work. It doesn't hurt that she works with both genders. Her work doesn't scream "drag queen".

Part of me wants to put them on the pinup thread, but I don't want to cause controversy either.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner