Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elle's No Makeup Issue

CheshireKat

New in Town
I hope it isn't necessary for me to say this, but just in case:

What I posted above in no way implies any moral judgment about wearing or not wearing make-up (or anything else, for that matter). Being confident and easy in your skin isn't contingent on whether or not you doll yourself up. I began posting on this board because I saw a range of ways of presenting yourselves and a real acceptance of difference that really appealed to me.

I just worry about the specific ways images are manipulated to sell us things, and the gap between self-image and reality that can be the result of how this works in a consumer culture, not whether or not someone always wears lippy to the corner shop :)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cherry lips said:
Remember: Men don't wear make-up.

Maybe not, however, the same line of nonsense is pressure cooked on guys. i.e If you buy this product you will some how be transformed into Adonis.

I do not really think it matters. If I am going canoeing, bike riding, working out or any other physical activity don't want anyone with make up. There is an inherent beauty in all of us; if we have to eyes to see it. :D

Maybe it comes down to something this simple. I have never looked into the eyes of the one I loved and thought make up would enhance that beauty I saw looking back. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
If I know my photo will be taken (photoshoots/ FL get-togethers/ gigs), and people who's opinion I actually care about will be looking at me, I'll wear full make-up (contacts, foundation, mascara... the works). This also goes for going out dancing on weekends looking for a lover boy hehe.
However, every other day of the week I wear nothing except lipstick! And I'm not one of those people with flawless skin, I'm just one of those people with guts;) I have large pores, black heads, pimples, a little acne on my neck, a shiny nose and forehead, an uneven skintone, fine lines, glasses that shrink my eyes to half their size, etc. But I don't care!

Cherry Lips, I agree. I LOVE makeup, I do. And I love the way I look in it. But I'm also lazy and value getting sleep more than I value being made up for people at work who could care less what i look like anyway. So I take the extra half hour of sleep in the morning and go au naturale to work, with the exception of maybe a tiny bit of concealer here and there. Makeup is also expensive! and I can do without going through a $14 MAC lipstick every month.

I appreciate at least a glipse of what amazingly gorgeous people look like "normal". It's like that un-made-up photo of Dita that someone posted not too long ago - it just reinforces how amazing makeup is and the wonders it can work for even the average woman.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Dita without makeup

Here's the photo of Dita without makeup (the beauty mark is a tattoo):

2hghdti.png

Think she looks lovely.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks to both of you and of course you shouldn't feel pressured into a style that isn't yours 24/7/365. Okay, that's an exaggeration. Even I don't wear my lipstick to bed.lol

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
Here's the photo of Dita without makeup (the beauty mark is a tattoo):

2hghdti.png

Think she looks lovely.
I think she looks ill. I don't think she's stunning anyway, but she doesn't look half as good as when she has makeup plastered on.

I don't know who those women in the article are, apart from one I think, but I assume they're models. Models are busy, early starts, not always alot of sleep etc, wouldn't have have SOME dark circles under their eyes, some blotches, uneven skin tone etc? No. For such busy people they look a bit too perfect "without" makeup on. They might not have fake eyelashes and lashings of blush and lipstick but they have makeup on.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
i_am_the_scruff said:
I think she looks ill. I don't think she's stunning anyway, but she doesn't look half as good as when she has makeup plastered on.

I don't know who those women in the article are, apart from one I think, but I assume they're models. Models are busy, early starts, not always alot of sleep etc, wouldn't have have SOME dark circles under their eyes, some blotches, uneven skin tone etc? No. For such busy people they look a bit too perfect "without" makeup on. They might not have fake eyelashes and lashings of blush and lipstick but they have makeup on.

Part of it is probably good lighting. Warm colored, diffused lighting from a couple of good angles, and a photographer who can make the models feel happy and relaxed, makes a lot of difference.

I think Von Teese looks great. In fact, I prefer the natural look on her to the heavy makeup she typically wears.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
This thread is very interesting to me. It came at a fascinating time, bit of synchronicity. I had just been researching cosmetic tattooing. (particularly eyeliner for me)

My fiance objected to the concept, which I thought was interesting. He said he likes seeing me makeup-less sometimes. I don't know if he means natural or "natural-style" though, you know?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
My fiance objected to the concept, which I thought was interesting. He said he likes seeing me makeup-less sometimes. I don't know if he means natural or "natural-style" though, you know?

This may be because, for a lot of women, being without makeup exudes a sense of purity, vulnerability and trust. Your fella might like seeing this side of you from time to time.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think that's very insightful, Kitty. He even linked it to "like watching you sleep" which I guess ties into the vulnerability/trusting thing?

It's definitely something to think about though. Beyond just never having to learn how to put eyeliner on correctly (mascara, easy-peasy. Eyeliner - CRISIS)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I agree with Kitty. There's is just something about the makeup free look I appreciate, and I know many men do too. Reminds you of waking up next to someone, after an exhilarating night.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Laura Chase said:
Reminds you of waking up next to someone, after an exhilarating night.

That's an apt analogy. Men (well, this man at least) don't relish waking up to a face smudged by makeup and mascara. The night before is the night before; but the morning is a fresh, new start, and we love to see the morning in our partner's face. I was delighted to find out that in Chile, women wear minimal makeup. (Venezuela, however, is another story. :eusa_doh:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland