Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emo? No, I'm Vintage.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Emo Wears Vintage.

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I didn't think he wore vintage... lol

emo_philips_sideways.jpg

[/QUOTE]

As does his ex-wife, Judy Tenuta.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Naama said:
Oh Lauren! So you're a real Indie-snob as it sounds (or, you used to be ;)

I admit it! I used to be. And I think the radio is mostly useless now for artistic expression- le sigh- but I love the classical station... :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is all too familiar. My niece has been going thru her emo phase now for about a year, and has everything but the piercings -- when I last saw her she was wearing sneakers wrapped entirely in different colors of duct tape, and tried to explain to me how this represented her moral alliance with the struggling underclasses of the world.

Of course, she also goes around singing forties show tunes at the top of her lungs, so I guess there's still hope...

pigeon toe

One Too Many
when i was in high school people definitely thought i was indie or emo! granted, i had typical emo girl hair back then (or louise brooks hair, if you prefer!), but still, i hated the fact that people confused my style with that stuff.

i think it was all the beaded cardigans i wore!

ortega76

Practically Family
I get the "emo" thing every once in awhile.

For one, it's my tattoos. I find that many emos are pretty extensively tattooed. Not that I have a lot of visible tattoos but I do have quite a few.

Second, it IS the vintage thing. For example, waistcoats/vests are big with the mall rat emos. The Express Men store and Hot Topic have them featured in the window. So my waistcoats are now being seen as "emo". I see a crowd of emos now wearing ripped jeans with dress shirts, ties and vests. Actually, I like that look. I just wish they picked some better patterns. Maybe added a fedora ;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's all about the tightly fitting 70's Boy Scout shirts.

Emo to my knowledge wasn't even in my lexicon until the last couple of years. I saw the style and watched it evolve from a grungy punk light, though never associated it to any real movement. It's sort of the movement put together out of the pieces of the other movements because they had no original style. It's all sort of a mish mash and a light hearted sad one.

Now the Beatnicks... that was a movement.
The Rave scene... that's a crowd.
The Yuppies the hippies and some of us remaining dandies... that's a scene.
The Emos... they seem to be trying to fit in wherever they go, and they change with what their neighbor is wearing. Not quite a rebellione to culture.

After every major war there has been groups trying to redefine society and new styles and stories and art has emerged. It's been a long time since such a grand social upheaval has taken place. Crusades then renaissance, WWI the renaissance, WWII the renaissance.

We are bored. We haven't really questioned society and what we are doing in a while. nobody really wants to go out and boycott anything. It's a society that doesn't seem to really care. Filled with children that don't understand the word no.

The Emo scene is the bored scene... and they are boring by nature until they move on to real style.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Basically it's like the 'geek with the freak' twist....which in my day didn't
have a name. You just felt the pain of the world more, felt less understood than anyone else, and wallowed in it because that is all you know how to do at that age. You probably grew up in a home where your parents underestimated you and didn't really push you hard even though they saw you had talent. You were basically on your own on this big blue marble. Time to sink or swim...

I use to love to wear my black leggings, with black mini skirts and black shirts with black doc martens. I was trying to pull off the 80's Edie Sedgwick, but without the socialite appeal. That I didn't have.

Funny...how things change, but stay the same....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
It's all about the names....

If something doesn't have a label or name, it can't be counted or accounted for.

So anyone that is feeling misunderstood or not in the main thrust of boring society, gets a name or a label. Because people have to classify others somehow, as human beings, it is always the us/them mentality. Even if it's not done for nefarious purposes, we have to catalog and classify things.

So emo is today's new label for 'those rebellious youth', much like any of the other youth subcultures that came before, were 'those rebellious youth' to the older generations.

The true rebellion is defying expectations and classification.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I know is that both the boys and the girls would look better (and probably feel better about themselves) if they just stood up straight and looked people in the eye.

The Sergeant of Marines in me wants to lock their nasty bodies up at the POA and give them a lecture on posture, pride and self-respect.

Crotchety at 35....... :eusa_doh:

There's an old joke about the "rude beast's" mother.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Most Emo-esque people I know are nerds, or former nerds who dont want to be nerds anymore, now that nerd is 'cool'.

They are kids doing stuff they really dont like (like obscure old movies, or songs) but are doing it becasue no one else is doing it.

Matt Deckard made a good point about the kids not being pushed into doing anything of substance anymore. As long as parents make sure they are not doing drugs, or having sex, they will wipe the counter with their Clorox wipes and pat them on their head and everything is alright?

Policing actions have trumped personal fulfillment. Who cares if they are lost souls, hacking through their 20s with no direction, they dont have a KID, and thats what matters. Right?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Most Emo-esque people I know are nerds, or former nerds who dont want to be nerds anymore, now that nerd is 'cool'.

They are kids doing stuff they really dont like (like obscure old movies, or songs) but are doing it becasue no one else is doing it.

Matt Deckard made a good point about the kids not being pushed into doing anything of substance anymore. As long as parents make sure they are not doing drugs, or having sex, they will wipe the counter with their Clorox wipes and pat them on their head and everything is alright?

Policing actions have trumped personal fulfillment. Who cares if they are lost souls, hacking through their 20s with no direction, they dont have a KID, and thats what matters. Right?

You hit the nail on the head. All that it seems these poor kids can do anymore is shop...and shop for fulfillment of an empty heart. It's just so sad. I hope my parenting skills will help me to circle around all the typical bull out there and raise my daughter with goals that are outside of the mainstream. It's not going to be easy, but I am in it for the long run.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, the term EMO is miss-used as much as other terms such as Retro or vintage. For some people retro or vintage means 1960s or 1970s?!? EMO, at least as music termination, does mean nothing more or less than emotional "music". Meaning, an artist or group expresses her/him/themselves and their emotional status in a very extreme form. The focus lies on the lyrics on how the lyrics are presented in emotional outbursts like aggression, depression, happiness and sadness. In my humble opinion nothing new, as many record companies, bands and music magazines try to proclaim it. You can find similarities with many Aletrnative rock bands of the 1990's. Bands such as Jimmy Eat World and Thursday might have been a product of EMO however, true emo bands and pioneers were bands such as Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets to Brazil and Joan of Arc. If you are interested check them out, some of the true emo bands are really good, some of them kind of weired and very experimental.
Why EMO is used to sell clothes? Well to explantions here...
1. Just a term/label in order to sell more clothes to the right crowd.
2. Emo fans or people who think/pretend to belong to the emo movement dress a certain way and like to purchase the kind of clothes that make them look so emo, and some of these clothes are kind of retro 1950's style. Look at how the guys in Weezer dress and you get the picture...the alternative kings who made the geeky/nerdy look cool!
Even though I listen to a lot of Punk and Emo music I would never consider myself as PunkRocker or Emo. It's just a label that sells more products in my opinion. I remember when most bands who they call now mainstream used to be alternative and radio stations refused to play them. What kind of crap. I don't care what kind of label is on a band or artist, as long as it is good music and I like it, I will put it in my cd player.
Christoph
Christoph

Joseph Ciotti

New in Town
Sorry for not posting in a really long while, just been out.
--

I never been classified an "emo" myself when I dress vintage, especially how I'll sometimes wear a tie and all as stated earlier that's considered "emo", I myself have seem to be placed into the "goth" group, but I guess groups are different wherever you go, really.

Also, as stated earlier, me for studying cliques really well. Here's a list of how emo is.

> They dye their hair off colors. (Mine is red, with half of my sideburns black, but it's not for "emo" purposes.)

> Boys are VERY lanky or for girls, they're quite fat.

> They usually try to befriend everyone they meet.

> They're not athletic.

> Most I know of in school are either gay or bisexual. (I'm no homophobe or anything, it's just what they are usually.)

Phil

A-List Customer
I don't like the title "Emo"

Personally, I don't consider myself "Emo" nor am I considered "Emo". I think it is a horrid label that is forced upon some people :rage: . Never the less, the style is rather messy. There is often a common theme of wearing a hat with a high crown and a very small brim, usually black and white tweed. I never really fell for the style myself. If I'm going to get a hat, I'm going to look good in it.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Personally, I wouldn't want to label myself into any subculture. It seems like the easy way out for people who aren't comfortable with who they really are, or just can't figure themselves out. I wouldn't say I'm "vintage" either, it just fit the topic.

I would agree that terms like "Emo" and "Vintage" are being used as buzz-words, but without an official code, a general perception of what it means to be a part of a group and a few examples is enough to turn your favoured clothing into "Emo" in the eyes of others.

And I am GLAD the proper fedora isn't considered Emo, because being Indy sure beats being Indie.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I'm confused. As I recall from the late '70's / early '80's, old school punks weren't exactly "unemotional". It was aggressively anti-social, when life (love, personal or otherwise) went wrong you got angry and told the world about your dissatisfaction, you didn't mope about it. You raged against the machine, as it were. And your jeans, tshirts and leathers, while maybe beat to heck, fit properly. They were cocksure and proud, or at least fronted that they were.

"You want to hear a happy song? Too bad, we don't know any happy songs". Social D

So did the word "emotional" at some point for these bands become synonymous with "whining about girls and my own social ineptitude and lack of acceptance"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner