Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emo? No, I'm Vintage.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
From what I've heard Emo was not short for "Emotional" it was short from "Emotive Hardcore" a specific kind of music, as basically every kind of music is infused with some sort of emotion.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That makes more sense. I just can't see it claiming punk roots.

I'd believe "hardening up" standard pop more than "whining down" punk.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Ghos7a55assin said:
When I think of an emo stereotype in film it is Walken's son in Wedding Crashers. Of course, not all emo kids are like this. I know a few.
lol :eusa_clap

Good Reference.

When I was in highschool I was labeled goth. Mainly because I had long hair (I listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult etc.) and wore T's that had a band on them. That's all it took to get the label.

Labels in general are applied to people, some of which seek it, some of which don't.

We always referred to Emo as "Whiny, I can't get a girlfriend, I'm not popular and I'm failing my general level English class"

My sister hangs with an emo crowd, and I remember my Mom asking "What's Emo?". I interrupted and said, "Don't bother asking because if you don't already know then you don't understand or love me anyway."

Rob

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I guess it has changed a lot. I remember the type in the link that Adem shared... but I think I was a little post that as I only listened to a handful of bands on that site. I remember Jawbreaker, Sunny Day Real Estate, 3 Mile Pilot, Death Cab, Coheed & Cambria, Bright Eyes, The Anniversary... (and I still listen to some of those bands)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't blame the music.

99% of the little wanna-be rebels and misunderstood of every generation and musical taste end up demonstrating their individuality by mindlessly conforming to one peer group or another.

Siirious,

Long hair and BOC or Zep t-shirts? You would have been labelled a stoner or metal head in the 80's at my high school.

Goths had black mascara and pale-even-for-Alaska skin, wore black clothes and moped around listening to songs about death. Some of the hot ones wore corsets and such, which doesn't seem like your thing. :D

Siirous

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
Siirious,

Long hair and BOC or Zep t-shirts? You would have been labelled a stoner or metal head in the 80's at my high school.

Goths had black mascara and pale-even-for-Alaska skin, wore black clothes and moped around listening to songs about death. Some of the hot ones wore corsets and such, which doesn't seem like your thing. :D

lol

Corsets are certainly not my style, even if I found a vintage one :p

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy