Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots Crisis!

yakima

One of the Regulars
I believe so too. I'll be interested to see responses from others when they receive theirs. I actually saw a pair of the SJC acorn engineers up for sale on here today, so guessing there's a few unhappy folk. I'm just glad to know that their is actually a problem with them and it wasn't just in my head / foot!
Time is running out for you guys.

ASK FOR A REFUND WITHIN SEVEN DAYS OF RECEIPT........

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I believe so too. I'll be interested to see responses from others when they receive theirs. I actually saw a pair of the SJC acorn engineers up for sale on here today, so guessing there's a few unhappy folk. I'm just glad to know that their is actually a problem with them and it wasn't just in my head / foot!

If I recall correctly, Jeff had said a couple of months back that he didn't want them. He obviously ended up getting them for whatever reason and has stuck them on the Lounge immediately. I don't think there was necessarily a problem with them, Jeff said that he just doesn't wear Engineers any more.

willyto

One Too Many

To be fair Belopsky said he was selling his boots just because he wasn't interested in wearing Engineers anymore.

There might be a problem with your boots but there's not need to go crazy yet. Hopefully the other customers don't encounter any problems yours are isolated cases. Let's wait until we hear from other customers to see if there's a pattern of bad fit around all sizes or it's just on the small ones.

Personally, I would ask for a refund. No guarantees that the boots will fit after being checked by the factory.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Time is running out for you guys.

ASK FOR A REFUND WITHIN SEVEN DAYS OF RECEIPT........

Just to say, here in the UK its 14 days for online purchases, though given this was a kickstarter type thing, I'm not sure that applies either. From gov.uk

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

Hope the OP and others get the issue sorted.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have the exact same problem with my chippewa engineers, my foot slips and my toes touch the steel cap. Putting on a silicone insole helped a bit. Funny thing is that I had tried them on before I bought them in chicago 7 years ago. That's why i prefer lace boots, such as William Lennons, by the way I have a custom order on the way.
Good luck in any case!

Gav

Practically Family
Good luck with sizing. Update us when you get them. If they fit, I don't think you will regret the purchase.
The steer hide is great, I have the horsebutt personally.

I bit the bullet today and ordered a size 7 Attractions, lot.269. If they don't fit they'll exchange them for a size that does.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
OK, just received my SJC boots. I now understand what Jkohl meant by too large yet too small. The boots themselves are looking good, the leather used is pretty uniform and matched through out (in my case, black), not very stiff as I first imagined. The fitting problem seems to be that the lower straps, which used for tightening and securing your feet, seems to be at a somehow high position, or the boot trunks themselves made a bit too wide? What I will do is to punch another hole on the strap to tighten it further. I am at work at the moment so I cannot play around with it too much. Shall update you fellows here soon.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing mostly engineers for the past 10 years, and currently have 7 pairs.
In my opinion it is normal and even desirable to have some heel lift. If not you will get blisters and painful feet.
A mistake a lot of people do when they buy boots for the first time is to expect them to fit like laced shoes.
There is no way you can get slip on boots to fit like laced shoes or you wouldn't be able to slip in them.

All boots should start out feeling a little bit too big and you should be able to lift your heel a couple centimeters and slide your foot to the tip of the boot.
As you wear it in the sole will round up and take the shape of your foot and you will stop sliding around in them. You heel should still lift ever so slightly.
I personally have never used the straps to tighten the boots, IMO they are for show and will deform the boot and create an uncomfortable fit

They're boots, not running shoes, or climbing shoes, they should fit like boots!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I concur with what was said above. My experience is almost exclusively with cowboy/western boots and have found a snug fit across the instep and just the correct pressure underneath the arch provides the fit I need so I can be on my feet all day without issues. Arch support consists of either a flat steel shank or a forty penny bridge nail that has been hammered in the middle and has a slight bend for just the right amount of arch support. My Red Wing boots are laced.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I would highly recommend getting the Red Wing 2966 engineer boots. They've got a great 1950s profile, have all the bells and whistles including roller buckles and a black teacore leather that fades to a lovely brown in time. Best of all they're surprisingly cheap at only 400 euros and you can get them through Red Wing London, Berlin and Amsterdam.

I'd say these are one of the best engineers on the market, and I own Road Champs, Lofgrens, Attractions, Sears and Chippewas... Plus they fit great once they break in a little. I'd say get your usual size but your best bet is to measure your feet and ask the Red Wing store what size to get.

Good luck!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would highly recommend getting the Red Wing 2966 engineer boots. They've got a great 1950s profile, have all the bells and whistles including roller buckles and a black teacore leather that fades to a lovely brown in time. Best of all they're surprisingly cheap at only 400 euros and you can get them through Red Wing London, Berlin and Amsterdam.

I'd say these are one of the best engineers on the market, and I own Road Champs, Lofgrens, Attractions, Sears and Chippewas... Plus they fit great once they break in a little. I'd say get your usual size but your best bet is to measure your feet and ask the Red Wing store what size to get.

Good luck!

Agreed, i have a pair of 2968 (same as 2966 but steel toed) and they are one of my favourite pair!

Gav

Practically Family
I use the instep strap to tighten my boots. I have to undo it to take them off and put them on. Of course it is functional, not just for decoration on originals and good repros.

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Good luck!

Hmmm, they indeed look nice. If I finish work early I'll drop by their shop and have a look!
PS - how do they compare to the Chippewas?

Last edited:

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hmmm, they indeed look nice. If I finish work early I'll drop by their shop and have a look!
PS - how do they compare to the Chippewas?
Fitwise they fit exactly the same as my Chippewa 27863's, which is a 7.5D. I also wear a 7.5D in MF Road Champs and Wesco boots. Leather on the RWs is thicker and will fade better over time. Profile on the 27863s is pretty great, though the soles could do with more of a 1950s woodsman heel and halfsoles.

Jkohl

New in Town
Still in engineer boot hell - my attractions have arrived in the UK but I am having to pay an unexpected import / vat tax of £250! Seriously hope they fit.. Has anyone else experienced these extortionate charges?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Still in engineer boot hell - my attractions have arrived in the UK but I am having to pay an unexpected import / vat tax of £250! Seriously hope they fit.. Has anyone else experienced these extortionate charges?

damn, that's a lot. I have bought a couple of jackets from the US and the import tax was 21% (vat for NL) of the price written on the box plus 10-15e. Is 250 pounds the VAT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran