Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

Edward

Bartender
Even if I haven't polished them, I will always wipe any mud off the heel of a pair of boots before I wear them out. I tend to think of wear in terms of nice creasing, the depth of colour and lustre you get when you've polished them over time. It also extends the life of the leather, which can only be a good thing when you're blowing $£$£$£$ on shoes.
This pair of boots were half-dead when I got them, but a few coats of Red Wing shoe cream and Kiwi Parade Gloss and a bit of elbow grease brought them right up and given them a second life. They're great in really bad weather - lot of traction and the thick sole insulates my feet from the cold.

Are those the William Lennon shephard shoes? It's an intriguing design with the tongue. How are you getting on with those? (I think they'd look great with a kilt for casual daywear, actually - especially if your preferred tartan happens to be in the earthtone spectrum...). I'm wearing my B9s today. three-layer leather soled with a stick-on rubber layer on the bottom, really keeps out the cold from underfoot (went out for dinner at a colleague's house on Hogmany wearing isngle-leather soled penny loafers and sure noticed the difference with that!).

Natural leather roughouts? Put me in mind of some Inuit or First Nation styles. Nice-loloking, but you wouldn't want to ride an old Brit bike in them - think of the oilstains! ;)

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are those the William Lennon shephard shoes? It's an intriguing design with the tongue. How are you getting on with those? (I think they'd look great with a kilt for casual daywear, actually - especially if your preferred tartan happens to be in the earthtone spectrum...). I'm wearing my B9s today. three-layer leather soled with a stick-on rubber layer on the bottom, really keeps out the cold from underfoot (went out for dinner at a colleague's house on Hogmany wearing isngle-leather soled penny loafers and sure noticed the difference with that!).

Natural leather roughouts? Put me in mind of some Inuit or First Nation styles. Nice-loloking, but you wouldn't want to ride an old Brit bike in them - think of the oilstains! ;)
Yes natural roughout. Oil stain looks even better, indigo not so.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I reached out to clinch brass but haven't heard back.

anybody have a list of options they have for their boots?

lasts, leathers, hardware, etc.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
So I want to get my first pair of Engineer boots. I'm hoping to get veg tanned black leather.

so far I've seen

Phigvel
Clinch Brass
Lone Wolf

What are some other brands I can check out that are ready made, ship in/to the USA and have veg tanned leather?

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
good choice for brand and craftsmans bt engineers are tricky in terms of fit, you may feel the need to return, so i dont recom buying from eastman

I ordered a size 8

I usually wear 8.5 in US but these were sized UK. I read that UK is usually a half size bigger than US.

Hope I ordered the best fitting size.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i think you should consider Role Club, he's one man whose life depends on his craft and he cares, you can talk to him and learn lots about boots and fits.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Oh yeah, I know about him. I've had him resole stuff for me.

I am waiting on my second pair of boots to be resoled by him. I like his work a lot.

I'm just not really wanting to place custom fitted orders right now. His waitlist is pretty long. I'd rather just go with ready to wear. I know the fit isn't always 100% perfect but it doesn't bother me. As long as the quality of the brand is reputable I'm good.

I may order a pair from him if I get a second pair but I think I'll just stick with these and hope for the best. I emailed ELMC just to double check on the size.

Edward

Bartender
I ordered a size 8

I usually wear 8.5 in US but these were sized UK. I read that UK is usually a half size bigger than US.

Hope I ordered the best fitting size.

I wear a UK 8 / EU 42, and while I've read US8.5 listed in many conversion charts as the same size, it's never worked for me. I have a medium size foot, and I need a US 9D. That said, a lot of Enigneerf boots are on the loose side, so the half size down might work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner