Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I have 2 pairs of the 1000 mi. Once you nail the fit (go down 1/2 size) they're hard to beat IMHO.

Too bad Wolverine don't ship internationally. Last time I looked they had a sale going on. It was a pretty nice discount on the 1000 mi liberty edition and they had my size... ($239 instead of $400) You can find them in Europe but the price is quite high compare to the US and it's mostly men models.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
They remind me of my Grinders engineers, real chunky. I particularly like the brown ones. If we had regular heavy snow they would be great. Can imagine them being very practical Winter bike boots.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too bad Wolverine don't ship internationally. Last time I looked they had a sale going on. It was a pretty nice discount on the 1000 mi liberty edition and they had my size... ($239 instead of $400) You can find them in Europe but the price is quite high compare to the US and it's mostly men models.

Can't you use a shipping service? There are a heap of companies that will provide you with a USA address to post to and then send them to you internationally.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Can't you use a shipping service? There are a heap of companies that will provide you with a USA address to post to and then send them to you internationally.

I have one, HopShopGo, but it's been awhile since using their service and I not fond of their change... so I need to find another company.

In the meantime I have begun to see with Sam from Aero about a Shearling jacket [emoji16] and I have bought a pair of shoes when I was in Berlin so.... another time, LOL!

Last edited:
Can somebody please make me a short list of all the fancy engineer boots makers? Like those Attractions ones and the RMC and I don't know...

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Can somebody please make me a short list of all the fancy engineer boots makers? Like those Attractions ones and the RMC and I don't know...

I can recommend Wesco and if you're no sure about your size you can always go with their custom sizing option. You have to pay an upcharge the first time but after it's free for all the next pair you will purchase.

It's a relief to not worry about the boots not fitting. My Wesco are my best fitting shoes/boots.

And, they can arrange you for paying less custom fees.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys, I'm gonna sound like a total newbie, but whats the appeal of engineer boots? I've never owned a pair, and associate them with bikers, but that aside, I know literally nothing about them.
I spend my whole life in Converse sneakers, Dr. Martens or Danner boots. Kindly, what kind of cool am I missing out on?

Ok guys, I'm gonna sound like a total newbie, but whats the appeal of engineer boots?

I don't own some of them, too, but I comprehend the thing about engineer-boots. It's their purity in function and the great combination of sporty and elegant design.

But I will probably never buy some, because the new-times lightweight multipurpose-boots with additional shock-absorbing kill them, for me.

Last edited:

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Being a slipon theyre super convenient too. Most people like a slipon, but not everyone wants to wear a western style boot. Engineer boots give a nice middle ground thats suitable for just about any style.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Oh, and to add to the list, put whites on there. Personally, i would never put a vibram lug sole on a boot thats made for mostly hard surfaces. I feel theyre just too hard. I good insole can help this out alot but im all for a softer less aggressive sole. They wear faster but id rather them be comfortable enough for me to want to wear them that much. I had a pair of imported redwing engineer boots awhile ago. They were comfy but the soles were ready to fall off after 3 years.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Viberg x Styleforum "Hopper" Engineer boots. They're made from a lovely Horween chamois leather.

Hoppers.jpg

Unfortunately the last they're made on comes up half a size small, and is quite a wide fitting, so they don't quite work for me.

My younger brother, who is blessed with slightly shorter and wider feet, is going to inherit these. :(

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Ok guys, I'm gonna sound like a total newbie, but whats the appeal of engineer boots? I've never owned a pair, and associate them with bikers, but that aside, I know literally nothing about them.
I spend my whole life in Converse sneakers, Dr. Martens or Danner boots. Kindly, what kind of cool am I missing out on?

Laces are the devil...

Seriously though, if you want slip-on, the choice isn't huge. You have harness boots, engineers, western boots, the weird Australian boots with elastics on the sides, and wellies!
Engineers are definitely the nicest ones of all the previous choices IMO.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Ok guys, I'm gonna sound like a total newbie, but whats the appeal of engineer boots?

I personally just like the look of the strap around the side, but that tends to be covered by your jeans when you stand so... I suppose they have a biker vibe as well.

I got a nice pair of Frye Sutton engineers from Amazon UK. I found it quite difficult to find good engineer boots in Europe, aside from those crazy money Iron Heart collaborations.

Last edited:
Of all the guys here I'd have bet you had at least one pair. So, that said, while I have maybe 6 pairs of $600-900 western boots, I have two pairs of engineers, both are Chippewa, and were less than $250 (made in the USA models). I got them for riding with friends on old British bikes and going to car shows. Otherwise, I don't wear them. I like the look for that piece of my life and the safety while riding, but for every day, it's western or lace boots.

I get the guys that don't like laces, but I'm hooked on all sorts of boots and laces I just make fun. I have a drawer filled with laces I pick up on travels and they vary in color and materials.

Back to engineers, I would not drop the big bux on a pair and it really makes no sense does it? They just don't grab me as much as others - and while I love some of the pics in this thread of the upper-class Engineers, I don't get excited about 'em.
I think every guys should have one pair. At least give 'em a shot.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wesco 7400s I bought last year are probably my favorite engineer boot out of the four pairs I own. They are built with the motor patrol style toe and to my eye they have a nice vintage look to them:
IMG_2364.jpg

They run a little narrower than the stock Wesco Boss so I went with an E instead of my normal D width. I have high arches and I find that the arch in this boot is much more comfortable than the standard Boss.
I would highly recommend this boot to anyone who is interested in this style.

OK, no offense, but those boots would make me never want to get a pair of Engineers. I know we all are diff taste, but the soles look ridiculously thick to me. I mean, I've had dozens of pairs of all sorts of good boots over the years and never anything like that was needed nor desired. Can someone explain that to me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB