Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

The Dutchman

New in Town
Hi everyone. Guess I'm the new guy. Nice to be here!

I just got a pair of Chippewa 27899's.:

https://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/27899

Really nice for the money, around 2 bills. But after seeing injunjack's pics of his Wesco Boss engineer boots (post #704 of this thread), all I can say is, man, they're something else! I can see how they would last half a lifetime with the proper care.

Has anyone bought Wesco boots through Big Black Boot? Their prices are lower than if you deal directly with Wesco. At the portion of their site where you "order custom boots" (as opposed to stock) they show you how to measure your feet & how to then convert those measurements into generic shoe sizes which Wesco boot sizes will supposedly be faithful to. How do people feel about getting the proper fit this way? The ideal would be to pay the $99 fee to Wesco for custom lasts but that method would entail spending way more than possible for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Mine fit true to size. A "heel pinch" would improve the heel cupping, but otherwise they fit true to size while using the included foam Spenco insole.

The Dutchman

New in Town
Thank you, jimmer_5. So by "heel pinch" do you mean a small spacer pad that you glue to the inside of the shaft, just above your heel, that prevents your heel from lifting too much with each step you take?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Thank you, jimmer_5. So by "heel pinch" do you mean a small spacer pad that you glue to the inside of the shaft, just above your heel, that prevents your heel from lifting too much with each step you take?

I am sorry - I know I should have explained that, but I was in a rush. The heel counter (the piece of leather that wraps around your heel) is relatively straight in Wescos. It doesn't really curve in in at the top much. Pete (the custom fit guy at Wesco) can do what they call a heel pinch - he wets the heel counter and pinches it at the top so it conforms to the top of your heel and achilles tendon. It can help with heel lift. Pull-on boots will always have some heel lift, but I nicely shaped heel can help. What really helps it is break in, and that's really about time.

My White's Nomads came with nicer shaping of the heel counters, but even those had heel lift at first. It's just part of breaking in a nice, solid pull-on boot.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Jimmer I think ima have to give that a try on my Wescos; the right boot has just a wee bit too much play in the heel.

And as far as sizing... I think tts is the right call. Ordered my MPs a half size down but had to get the toes stretched. And as a result I ordered my regular size on the some lace up MPs (packers)

Last edited:

smittybat

New in Town
My favorite pair:
DSCN0810.jpg

Kato

Familiar Face
This is my lastest Redwing PT-83 I bought during my trip in japan

10361116_10152138939353807_1949741354_n.jpg

10385006_10152138942743807_1430488498_n.jpg

10396351_10152138940283807_410486954_n.jpg

10396391_10152138941163807_1628557819_n.jpg

10363427_10152139006208807_1294501886_n.jpg

I hv cleaned it completely and polished it with Saphir Creme 1925 at home

_MG_3124.JPG

_MG_3125.JPG

_MG_3127.JPG

_MG_3132.JPG

_MG_3139.JPG

Last edited:

Moonshine

New in Town
I’ve been meaning to post these pics for a few days… My Redwing 2991 engineers that have been worn approx. 30-50 times over the past year or so. The break-in process was a bit hairy at first but they have broken-in fantastically and are now super comfortable! I’m pretty sure the cork bottoms will never wear out!

BrianTheBootmaker

Familiar Face
I converted these Chippewa Engineer Boots to a 40's Style.
This pair is a bit different from the other 40's conversion I have done in the past. The owner gave me the privilege to add my own twist with this project. I added two thin leather soles like the original Chips. I also stacked the the heel with more leather and put a thin rubber heel. To finish it off, the owner sent me these sweet roller buckles very identical to the originals. By Role Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran