Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Essential Kit for WWI USAAF / RAF Followers

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Necessity, the mother of invention,....

Excellant job JB!
I just bought a leather navigator's brief case,....with no key! lol
But no matter,.....I will make one at work and when I open it maybe I will find some fascinating bit of history inside. I will post it here if I do. :)

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
THANKS

@BT : it is a good idea to sell it and make more...but how about the fun? ;)

@Marc : I wouldn´t jump either with it - just use it as a break chute for my bike. lol

@Major : That sounds like a pirates´adventure...looking for the treasure, good luck! :D
I am looking forward in hearing from what is in it! Pics are always welcome.

@Paddy : The AIR FORCES stencil is not done by me, it is from Garcia Aviation , but the SWITLIK stencil comes from a custom stencil box and did I many of that kind.

I don´t want to be a star, I just want to give back, of what I found here to get my impression in a right way. I handcrafted many items for different impressions of different eras, especially leather goods and so I tryed it and got it.

Here are some more pics:

DSC01714Medium.jpg

DSC01715ww2Medium.jpg

Let´em fly

J.B.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Way to go J.B. ! You have the total look ! All you need is the plane.......Duxford here you come !! Do you know how to hotwire a B-17???

Well done mate !:eusa_clap

Cheers,

Roy

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
J.B. Saxon - that sewing job is fantastic! Great job!

Gray Ghost said:
I have seen a lot of reenactors on the net say that the beaded chain is wrong for WWII reenacting, because they did not exist at that time and that the proper chain is the link chain. I am afraid that they are wrong on that subject. I have my father's dog tags with the orginal chain that he got in 1943. The chain has never been replaced and it is the beaded chain. Some of the linked chains that I have seen were from department stores and the add said something to the effect of buy this for your soldier. I am not saying that the linked chain was not issued but that the beaded chain was also issued. I have seen alot of original dog tags with the beaded chains. My father was in HQ Squadron, XIII Fighter Command, 13th "Jungle" Air Force. He was stationed in New Caledonia, Guadalcanal, New Guinea, and the Phillipines.

GG

Here's what I've found on this. The linked chain (M-1940) was standard issue, but the beaded chain was available for private purchase in the PX. Sometime around 1944 (I am not exactly certain of the date), the beaded chain became issue. Technically both are "correct" for WWII, but obviously if you do an earlier impression, the linked chain is going to be more accurate. Personally I prefer the look of the M1940 linked chain, but the beaded one doesn't seem to tangle/twist up as much.

pvs4 said:
We have 19 machines in our collection.

That is an amazing collection! My husband and I just acquired a 6300 series machine. I do not know the dates, but as far as I know it is functioning as it was used until very recently.I will have to upload some photos of it when we get it unloaded and in place!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*Bump* of a great thread.

For those that are interested in the USAAF. These are shots of myself 'when' I was very interested. Much of these items are now sadly packed away (safely).

PaddyFlyPast2.jpg

PaddyinUSAAF009.jpg

PaddyinUSAAF003-1.jpg

PaddyinUSAAF012.jpg

WEE_WILLIEPIX011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn