Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Fellows of the Golden Era?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
easy elegance

af33.jpg

n/d, 1930s-40s.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Some of my relatives in a tiny town in Italy. These guys fought in WWII, so that gives a general Idea of the dates. Sorry for the bad pics, I didn't have a scanner, so these are photos of someone's album, which makes for a little distortion.
IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9745.jpg

IMG_9735.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9714.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
My grandpas father circa 1924.
GreatGrandfather2.jpg

My grandmas father in the early '30s.
Grandmasfather1930.jpg

My grandpa and a friend circa 1942.
GrandpaandFriend1942.jpg

My grandparents shortly after getting married in Italy circa 1951. My grandma told me the clothes they were wearing were custom made. Her coat was brown and his suit was blue and the tie had some gold and purple in it.
GrandmaandGrandpa19512.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Mario said:
Remarkably narrow lapels for the time.
I noticed! I've been curious about it for years. It could quite possibly be a pre-1920's non-American suit. He lived in Argentina for a while in either the 1900's or 1910's after moving from Italy.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I lost track of this thread after the transition, but I'm glad I found it again.

I'll try to revive it:

FamilyPhotos092.jpg

My great aunt and her husband-to-be during WWII.

FamilyPhotos041.jpg

Another great aunt and her husband in 1936.

FamilyPhotos040.jpg

My great grandfather and my twin great aunts in 1930.

FamilyPhotos039.jpg

My great grandfather in his museum-guard uniform, 1930-1949.

FamilyPhotos022.jpg

My great grandparents and an unidentified child (possibly my father’s cousin Pat), c. 1940s.

FamilyPhotos020.jpg

My grandfather and his sister, c. 1917.

-David

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
grandpadrink_preview.jpg

This is my grandpa Frank Hallack, sometime between 1942-1945. Love the suit he's in. He was a very mellow but great guy. I wish he was still around, I have so many questions I'd like to ask him.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My great-great grandfather (William, on the right) and his brother (David, with the badge):

Family_Album021.jpg

David died in 1926, so this was taken sometime before then:

Illinois State Journal, 7-23-26, p. 2
DAVID CONWILL, CITY RESIDENT 42 YEARS, DIES – David Edward Conwill, 522 North Seventh street, a resident of Springfield for forty-two years, died at 12:10 o’clock yesterday afternoon at St. John’s hospital at the age of 68? Years. Mr. Conwill had been employed as a chief custodian of the courthouse for the last six months, and before that was night watchman at the courthouse. Prior to going into the employ of the county, he was telephone operator at police headquarters and at the time was an engineer on the Wabash railroad. He was a charter member of Navarre lodge No. 142 K. of P. Surviving him are his wife, Elizabeth Conwill; two sons, Rees J. and David N. Conwill; one daughter, Dorothy Ann Conwill; two brothers, William Conwill, Ft. Sheridan, and Thomas Conwill, who lives in Wales; six grandchildren and two nephews. The remains were removed to Bisch & Son funeral home and funeral services at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the residence 522 North Seventh street, Rev. Mr. Schulzke, officiating.

-Dave

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've posted this before in some other thread, but it's always worth another look...

papa-copy2.jpg

My grandfather, c. 1951. He sold gasoline and greased cars the last 37 years of his life, but before that he'd been a longshoreman, a cooper, a semipro basketball player, and the leader of a six-piece dance band that played all over New England and the Maritimes.

This is how I remember him, though -- he pretty much looked the same until the last couple years of his life, when the emphysema finally got him. "You kids stomp on that bell hose one more time an' you'll get a broom handle where you least expect it."

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Love that Lizzie. "You can trust your car..."

Well, one of them is not a "fellow," but here are my parents, Lee Sr. and Anne, on the Tri-Borough Bridge, the Bronx, c.1941. They would soon be married, my father would shortly enlist in the Army, and the two would be separated for about three and-a-half years while my father was in the Pacific.

CCF07142010_00000.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Just found this today at a thrift shop...

Here's an everyday Joe (real name Paul) who looks like he was caught in the act of boarding a street car. The ad on the side says Luck Lager. I really like the casual yet smart look of his outfit (take a good look at the jacket), including his turned-up brim, not to mention his finger in the air. Looks late-'40s.

Photo23.jpg

Now a little bit of a close-up.
Photo21.jpg

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Whilst neither of these two are any relation of mine whatsoever, and I can't remember where I found the images apart from 'The Internet', they're amazing examples of the various bits of 'Era' clothing that I covet. The hairstyle on the first chap especially:

smartsmartsmart.jpg

suitcollarbarpocketsquarehair.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy