Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Thank you ladies. I wish I knew how she styled her hair like that. I noticed the resemblance too, but only recently. I have a recent picture of myself and as soon as I saw it I thought of this picture of my grandma.
2011-08-25.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks to the unhappy fact that my maternal grandma moved to a retirement home lately, we had to divide most of her things between the family.
Since my grandpa always liked to take photos, I got a few for myself:
3 photo books plus about a dozen of separate pics. I'll post most of them in the "Vintage family photos" thread (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?5088-Vintage-Family-Photos/page134).

Some girls pictures fit in here better.
They are from the 1930s and 40s.

Grandma in her Sunday clothes

At girls' school, in 1932

1934 (don't know what happened to the picture, what a pity)
granny in first row, on the very left

Around 1935 at a friend's birthday party (grandma in the very right)
White socks motto party?

Some time shortly after the war
(the picture in the right was taken in Sept., 1944 - not sure about the other ones
the very first one might have been quite a bit earlier)

This is my grandma's mother, probably in the late 40s or early 50s. Love the hats!

Last edited:

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
Thank you ladies. I wish I knew how she styled her hair like that. I noticed the resemblance too, but only recently. I have a recent picture of myself and as soon as I saw it I thought of this picture of my grandma.
2011-08-25.jpg

Holy hell! I can see the resemblance there too! I love your Grandmas hairstyle.

TheNightingale

New in Town
Oh my goodness, I LOVE this thread! Plus it just seems like a fine way to keep these memories and people alive, in a way, and preserve the past...

As I've enjoyed everyone else's photos so very much, here are a few of my paternal grandparents.

For whatever reason (not enough posts, perhaps), I can't actually link to the photos themselves so they're in the forum thread, but I'll link to them.

My grandmother, her brother, and my great-grandparents on their farm in Iowa, 1940

Grandma & a cousin in Iowa (guessing during the 40s)

Grandma & Great-Grandma bring in the rye, 1953

Grandma before her wedding, in her Chantilly lace gown—she looks a bit pensive!

The whole family at my grandparents' 1950 wedding (well, the in-laws and out-laws, you know the drill); my great-grandmothers are both wearing fabulous hats!

:)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Here's a mill worker's wife from my hometown in New Jersey, 1938.

383845_10150387100059164_624014163_8384145_1954822763_n.jpg

She lived in a shack along the river and had an OUTHOUSE.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
My Mother's Family

Thought I’d give a bit of background about the ladies (and some gents) in the photos that I’m about to post.
My Nan, Mollie Rose, was born on 18/11/1922, the second youngest of 16 children. 5 boys, 11 girls.
My Nan grew up in Newark in Nottingham. She suffered from pleurisy her whole life and was diagnosed with Tubercolosis when she was about 17/18. As most medics were away in the war, she didn’t get immediate treatment. Soon after, a local naval surgeon came home on leave for a weekend and was faced with a difficult decision. Several people needed surgery for TB but he didn’t have the time to treat them all. He has to decide which patient would have the best chance of survival so chose my Nan and one other person. My Nan could remember other patients swearing at her when she was wheeled to surgery as they were not picked.
The operation was pretty horrific. The years of pleurisy had stuck her lung to her ribs and the surgeon had to remove several ribs on one side along with her lung. She was in and our of TB sanatoriums for years afterwards for continued treatment etc. Not long before she died (about 15 years ago now), she had an x-ray. The doctors called my mother in to look at the result. Over the years, my Nan’s remaining lung had moved across to fill the gap left by the other lung. They were amazed. Fair play to my Nan, she suffered a lot of illness in her life but she was tough as old boots.
My Nan and her sisters were a bunch of beauties and lovely girls to boot. When she met my Granddad, she was engaged to a Scotsman but was obviously won over by my Granddad’s Welsh charm. They married on 17 July 1943. Granddad loved being spoiled rotten by all the Rose sisters and wrote a beautiful poem about “Those Nottingham Girls”. I’ll have to dig it out and write it up on here some day.

My Nan, Mollie Durban (nee Rose):
scan0004.jpg

My Nan's sister Lillie Rose (the youngest of the 16, born 1924). I can vividly remember this photograph from when I was a little girl. I think it was the start of my love for this era and the hair, clothes and make-up. I think Lillie is absolutely beautiful:
scan0008.jpg

Nan's sister Ethel (born 1921). My mother remembers her as a more serious lady but still beautiful and kind:
scan0005.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0017.jpg

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Nan and Granddad on their wedding day:
scan0010.jpg

Nan, Lillie and elder sister Doris (born 1914). I love how they all nearly match:
scan0007.jpg

Ethel, Mollie and Lillie in matching dresses with an Uncle:
scan0014.jpg

My Nan and a friend from one of the sanatoriums she stayed in. Love her dress:
scan0018.jpg

Beautiful Lillie on her wedding day:
scan0003.jpg

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Last few I promise!

Nanna Rose. 4 foot 11 inches and mother of 16:
scan0009.jpg