Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Women of the Golden Era

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

I'm very proud to share blood with these ladies. By all accounts they were a pleasure to be around despite the heartache so many of them suffered. I think people were made of sterner stuff back then!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Agree - my Nana was widowed at 32 with three children. My mother was just six weeks old when her father died and he hadn't even seen her as he was in hospital with the TB that killed him. I have tremendous respect for how my Nana managed.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Agree - my Nana was widowed at 32 with three children. My mother was just six weeks old when her father died and he hadn't even seen her as he was in hospital with the TB that killed him. I have tremendous respect for how my Nana managed.

My goodness. How sad.

I'm by no means suggesting that people today couldn't cope with such things but it does seem that there was much more of a "pull yourself together and get on with it" attitude in our grandparent's day. I know that's not necessarily a good thing but it defintely built character.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Not sure if I've shared this one before. Apologies if it's a duplicate. My grandmother in 1945, presumably with a '42 Pontiac:

scans010.jpg

-Dave

bombshell_librarian

New in Town
Ooooooooooo, I love this! I won't be heading back up home until sometime after Christmas, but when I do, I'll try and get pics posted of my grandmother from her senior year of high school (Class of '38 or '39, but she may have graduated sooner than that) and various pictures of great-aunts and great-grandparents! Thanks for starting this! :)

bombshell_librarian

New in Town
Here's a mill worker's wife from my hometown in New Jersey, 1938.

383845_10150387100059164_624014163_8384145_1954822763_n.jpg

She lived in a shack along the river and had an OUTHOUSE.

Amy Jeanne, this is a great pic! The outhouse sounds about right too--lots of rural folks all up and down the Coast and even parts of the Midwest had 'em. I even dated a guy in high school who had one--parents were these back-to-the-earth types. Nice folks, though!

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I purchased some photos the other day. Here´s some of them. More are on my blog, but they are all rather big so one can see the details...

foundpeople12.png

foundpeople2.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy