Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exchange Rate?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
no, i don't mean how often you send a jacket back...

but i just purchased (an hour ago) a lewis leathers dominator jacket that i had droooooooLed over for quite some time...

last time i'd looked at it, it was simply out of the question...the 625 pounds coming in somewhere near $1200...and many secondary sellers are selling this jacket for $1250...

however, i knew my dollar charge would come in just under $1000 after the latest financial shifts, but i just checked my online banking and saw that it was $963 for this amazing jacket...

i'm curious how many fedloungers have pulled the trigger on a jacket, or jumped up to a costlier jacket, because of what's been going on with the exchange rate...a stronger dollar against the pound definitely leaves some bargains out there with the two best jacket companies (in my opinion), aero and lewis leathers...

John Lever

One Too Many
johnnyjohnny said:
no, i don't mean how often you send a jacket back...

but i just purchased (an hour ago) a lewis leathers dominator jacket that i had droooooooLed over for quite some time...

last time i'd looked at it, it was simply out of the question...the 625 pounds coming in somewhere near $1200...and many secondary sellers are selling this jacket for $1250...

however, i knew my dollar charge would come in just under $1000 after the latest financial shifts, but i just checked my online banking and saw that it was $963 for this amazing jacket...

i'm curious how many fedloungers have pulled the trigger on a jacket, or jumped up to a costlier jacket, because of what's been going on with the exchange rate...a stronger dollar against the pound definitely leaves some bargains out there with the two best jacket companies (in my opinion), aero and lewis leathers...

I have just mentioned this on the other forum.. The dollar is now strong against the weak pound. £1 is only $1.60, it has been as high as $2.10

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's certainly not a good time for us Brits to buy otside the UK. I will seriously have to think hard about buying any jackets from the USA now.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
It's about time, the Euro and Pound were WAY overvalued anyway. Good time for us receiving USDs and exchanging them!;) It was bound to happen, no matter what you think, the world economy follows the US. Although the US is in economic turmoil the dollar will continue to gain strength against European and Asian markets.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I just placed an order with Aero over the weekend and Im begging them to charge my card ASAP so I can take advantage of the exchange rate we have at the moment.

JLStorm

Practically Family
well the euro is back up against the dollar, it looks like I missed my window...just when I changed from steerhide to horsehide overlays...this is going to hurt. The price went up $70.00 in the last 24 hours due to the rate :rage:

dr greg

One Too Many
the dumps

I'm buying NOTHING NADA ZIP from overseas at the moment, as our dollar is in the toilet, it has been dumped by speculators and hedge funds to the extent that it's lost over 30% in 3 months against the USD and GBP, even though our economy has none of the structural problems of either of those economies...but I forgot, that's the MARKET at work, so it all must make very good sense.

John Lever

One Too Many
dr greg said:
I'm buying NOTHING NADA ZIP from overseas at the moment, as our dollar is in the toilet, it has been dumped by speculators and hedge funds to the extent that it's lost over 30% in 3 months against the USD and GBP, even though our economy has none of the structural problems of either of those economies...but I forgot, that's the MARKET at work, so it all must make very good sense.
You are wrong about the dollar. £1 only buys $1.5 at the moment. Now is the time to buy from the UK. JL storm, Aero sell in £'s not Euro's so you will be getting a good deal.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
You are wrong about the dollar. £1 only buys $1.5 at the moment. Now is the time to buy from the UK. JL storm, Aero sell in £'s not Euro's so you will be getting a good deal.

John,

They told me it was GBP (pounds sterling) so my 500.00 GBP jacket costs about $830.00 as of today, Euros have a lower value...I wish it were Euros!

John Lever

One Too Many
Yes that is true, but a few weeks back it would have cost $1000.
My Lost Worlds Anj-4 cost me £650 last year. Now it would be over £800.
It is now the cheapest time for over 5 years for Americans to buy from the UK.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
Yes that is true, but a few weeks back it would have cost $1000.
My Lost Worlds Anj-4 cost me £650 last year. Now it would be over £800.
It is now the cheapest time for over 5 years for Americans to buy from the UK.

Oh, I see what you mean. This is true, still, a few days ago when I was begging them to charge my card it would have been around $775.00 :( , but such as life I suppose

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JLStorm said:
well the euro is back up against the dollar, it looks like I missed my window...just when I changed from steerhide to horsehide overlays...this is going to hurt. The price went up $70.00 in the last 24 hours due to the rate :rage:
1.24 is hardly up against the dollar. In fact, it's at a two year low. Buy away.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
I pulled the trigger on a Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy I've been resisting for some time last night. I've got one already, and have been very happy with it aside from it being just a bit too large. This one, a size smaller, will cost me about a third less than the last one!
Still debating an ELC Irvin, I think I'm going to wait and hope to catch another spike in the dollar.

JLStorm

Practically Family
John Lever said:
Australian dollar or US dollar ?
US dollar is $1.6 to £1

AUD I would imagine. Slightly off topic, but I remember when I was 19 I went to australia for the month and brought my entire savings with me (which at the time was what I had saved from a summer job). I learned two things when I got there: 1) 19 was the legal drinking age as opposed to 21 for the US and 2) my money was worth about 65% more.

Needless to say, I dont remember much of that vacation...but I was broke and hungover on the flight home...Im fairly certain it was worth it though lol

JLStorm

Practically Family
I just got word that Aero charged my card today, but I dont see the charge online yet, so Im not sure how much it cost in USD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran