• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Visconde, May 2, 2011.

1. Visconde

Visconde New in Town

Bruges
    I recently stumbled across this beautiful picture of F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda. I've rather fallen for his Jacket and more so for the way he wears it. I'd figure the Lounge would have some more info and pictures of this or a similar style jacket.

with kind regards

Visconde

[​IMG]

2. Very nice, looks like a linen Norfolk, although there may be a specific name for this that another more informed lounger may know about.

3. The shoes look like they're white - brown - white - brown - white - brown. Is that a white toed spectator, or am I just seeing things?

4. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

Its a norfolk jacket; you can see the belt and the straps running over the shoulders.

5. Hemingway Jones

Hemingway Jones I'll Lock Up Bartender

A bit of Housekeeping: I moved this over here from G & A. It seems more at home here.
    Carry on!

6. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

are the straps loose or attached? (on a regular norfolk jacket and on the one in the picture)

I think the shoes could be regular spectators and this are only sun spots. but I am not sure

7. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

I tend to agree. Linen really wrinkles, here is another photo that same day, from another angle.

My favorite couple ever! this portrait of writer F. Scott Fitzgerald and wife Zelda at Dellwood, taken in 1921

[​IMG]

8. Visconde

Visconde New in Town

Bruges
    Apologies for the misplacement.
    Can anyone give some more information on the front pleats?
    Would it be similar to this jacket?
    [​IMG]
    What happens to the pleat on the back, or does it go into the shoulder seam?
    To me the pockets seem to be rounded, pleated and flapless. Any thoughts?
    I also imagine the back to be similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this should be the start of a "show us your norfolk jacket" thread.

With kind regards

Visconde

9. The front would probably be like this:
    [​IMG]

The back could be pleated like the above, or it could be like this:
    [​IMG]

The pockets have a flap (looking at the second picture HadleyH posted), they look like pleated patch pockets.

10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Well, I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing. They remind me of this pair, with that strip above the toe box.

[​IMG]

12. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

Another photo of Fitzgerald wearing a Norfolk jacket....

" he was neat and presentable. His knickers were always the whitest and crispest at a party, his Norfolk jacket (pleats in front, belt all around) the best cut , and his high, chafing Belmont collar the most snugly joined over a diminutive knot."

[​IMG]