Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fabric choice for dressing gown

nigelewan

New in Town
Hello! This is my first time posting but I've been a lurker for more than a year. I've found this forum to be a treasure trove of helpful information, so thank you all! I finally have a question to which I can't find the answer elsewhere.

I just bought a pattern similar to this one and I plan to make myself a dressing gown like the one on the right (shawl collar ftw!), however, I don't have any idea what type of fabric to make it out of. I've read about dressing gowns made of all kinds of fabrics, but it's hard to know what I like without being able to feel different ones.

I like the idea of silk but I'm not quite sure how heavy it would be—I have a really lightweight woman's wrapper in mind and I know I don't want something that lightweight. Flannel would be cozy, but for some reason it doesn't sound very dapper. ...and what about linings? How common is it to find a lined golden-era dressing gown? Thanks for your help!

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
My little bit....

I see you are in Ohio, Minnesota here and deal with weather extremes, so I have both light weight and winter weight. Summer is made from fine cotton shirting material in a multi-colored stripe. Winter is one of two, heavy terry for practical reasons, and a camel cashmere with coco silk piping.

As for lining, it ads weight and heat to the garment.

cptjeff

Practically Family
My mother made me one of those in a heavy fleece for christmas a while back. Not the most classic fabric, but it is quite warm and comfortable.

If you want something more classic, terrycloth would be your answer. Cotton flannel would be comfy, wool flannel would be too scratchy and itchy for me.

I would just go to a fabric store and feel a few fabrics.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I live in a warm climate, so really silks are the way to go, here are a couple of mine, the blue one is lined in white taffeta, but i love the "Galleon" design of my red robe"

3393907297_b99ac9a305.jpg

3394716032_669633a75f.jpg

4256611284_6713d0fd4c.jpg

"I have this "winter" dressing gown in Vicuna with silver fox trim"

nigelewan

New in Town
So Binkie, do you have a silk one? How does it drape? That fur-trimmed one is beautiful. I assume that one is lined?

Is terry cloth a really authentic choice? For some reason, it doesn't seem like it would be.

Are there any good resources as far as dressing gowns are concerned? I have read the thread that discusses men's pajamas, but it mostly focuses on pajamas and smoking jackets.

cptjeff

Practically Family
nigelewan said:
So Binkie, do you have a silk one? How does it drape? That fur-trimmed one is beautiful. I assume that one is lined?

Is terry cloth a really authentic choice? For some reason, it doesn't seem like it would be.

Are there any good resources as far as dressing gowns are concerned? I have read the thread that discusses men's pajamas, but it mostly focuses on pajamas and smoking jackets.

Ever hear of a turkish robe? That's what they were made of. Terrycloth used to be known as turkish cloth, as it originated there, and for a long time was hand woven in that same region. It used to be the providence of nobles and royals almost exclusively due to the price on that hand weaving (and importing it to europe wasn't cheap either), but it's been around for the general public for a century or two now with mechanization of production.

You could go 1750's accurate with terry, though one would not have to come anywhere near the 1750's price. You want to have a robe like kings would have worn? Get a nice thick pile in a red or purple, or a fabric with both in some pattern.

Same thing with terrycloth towels too. Used to be exclusive to the upper class. Now you can buy ones with a pretty thick pile at Walmart for $10.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Outstanding idea

I've been thinking about getting a dressing gown, but hadn't considered making one. That pattern is an excellent find.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Dressing gowns

I have a number of dressing gowns, nigelewan, and am always looking for my collection. Most of mine are made of either silk, satin or some kind of rayon, which was common in dressing gowns and smoking jackets made in the 30's, 40's and 50's. All of mine are lined with a silk/satin type of material.

I also have some velvet smoking jackets, and these are also lined with silk or satin.

Silk and satin drapes so beautifully, and in my mind, really adds to the elegance of the garment.

Good luck with making one. I'll be most anxious to hear the outcome!

nigelewan said:
Hello! This is my first time posting but I've been a lurker for more than a year. I've found this forum to be a treasure trove of helpful information, so thank you all! I finally have a question to which I can't find the answer elsewhere.

I just bought a pattern similar to this one and I plan to make myself a dressing gown like the one on the right (shawl collar ftw!), however, I don't have any idea what type of fabric to make it out of. I've read about dressing gowns made of all kinds of fabrics, but it's hard to know what I like without being able to feel different ones.

I like the idea of silk but I'm not quite sure how heavy it would be—I have a really lightweight woman's wrapper in mind and I know I don't want something that lightweight. Flannel would be cozy, but for some reason it doesn't sound very dapper. ...and what about linings? How common is it to find a lined golden-era dressing gown? Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy