Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facebook anybody?

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
No Facebook for me. I deleted mine about a year ago, thank goodness. I am on Twitter though; just started that up recently.

If I'm going to spend time online, I'd rather it be posting here or chatting to mates via messenger.
X
BD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I find it socially much more useful than the likes of MySpace (which I know changed since I abandoned it, but when I last used it it still hadn't evolved much beyond the level of vanity (online) publishing. The most useful thing I find with it is photo sharing, and it keeps me in touch with a lot of folks I otherwise would lose track of, even with email. It is only a tool, though - not a way of life. I'll be slow to migrate to any other platform unless it gets to the point (as it did with FB) where it's the only realistic option for getting hold of people. I know a surprising number of people who have abandoned personal email in favour of FB as a one-stop shop. It's star has now waned - they lost 100,000 UK members last year, with most who quit seemingly doing so (on the basis of anecdotal evidence) out of disillusionment at Facebook's rather cavalier attitude to personal information privacy. I don't see it disappearing, though, until the Next Big Thing emerges. Twitter seems to be something of a success, but it's a very different entity altogether.

I know a lot of people who use it to stay in touch with friends and family abroad and that's great (all my family and friends are back in Ireland so I don't need it for those reasons) however I've had friends tell me about awkward situations where someone in work will try to "friend" them or whatever that is called (seriously I have no idea about FB at all so you'll have to forgive my complete lack of knowledge on it!) and having to ignore it and still be chummy in kitchen whilst making tea. I've also heard about friendships and relationships being severed on FB which makes me hate the way people interract these days - it's a bit of a cop out - rather than talking to people about a problem you have you just press a button to deal with the situation. For me there is a lot against it rather than for it but I appreciate for others that it's a great way to keep in touch and reestablish friendships that have been lost over the years.

djd

Practically Family
I really wasn't into Facebook until I got my iPhone. The mobile ap is so good that I find it about the easiest way to communicate with my pals, record what I'm doing, add photos etc. The mobile app is the real deal maker for me.

Edward

Bartender
Apparently it doesn't; it's now part of "Memory Lane" which has made it even more difficult and annoying to use with lots of extraneous stuff that I thought I was paying not to deal with when I bought a Gold membership.

One of the good things about it was that you could look at the list of members of your class, or any particular years to see who was there--sometimes you'd be reminded of someone you'd forgotten and get back in touch with them. The other thing I liked is that it was good for military as well; you could look up who had been stationed where you were during the same years. With Facebook you have to actually remember names to search on, and if you're like me and very bad with remembering names that doesn't work very well.

Cheers,
Tom

Sounds like the equivalent of..... Jinkies, now I can't actually remember.... Friends Reunited, that was it - over here (that was for Primary School, Secondary / Grammar and University). First ne of those sorts of networking sites, about a dozen years ago or so. It was sold for multi-millions by the creator, but post Myspace, Facebook etc is now virtually worthless. Way of the web, I suppose. I do remember finding it an interesting way of seeing what people were up to now.

I know a lot of people who use it to stay in touch with friends and family abroad and that's great (all my family and friends are back in Ireland so I don't need it for those reasons) however I've had friends tell me about awkward situations where someone in work will try to "friend" them or whatever that is called (seriously I have no idea about FB at all so you'll have to forgive my complete lack of knowledge on it!) and having to ignore it and still be chummy in kitchen whilst making tea. I've also heard about friendships and relationships being severed on FB which makes me hate the way people interract these days - it's a bit of a cop out - rather than talking to people about a problem you have you just press a button to deal with the situation. For me there is a lot against it rather than for it but I appreciate for others that it's a great way to keep in touch and reestablish friendships that have been lost over the years.

Well, this is it. It's a great tool but it's just that: a tool. If it doesn't offer anything which interests you, it's like having a claw hammer when you need a fork. There are people who get themselves into all sorts of issues on there, though to be fair that can happen on the web everywhere if you're not careful how you use your own information. I've never worked in an environment wherein I mixed work and social life (actually, I'm incredibly careful to keep them strictly separate), and the extent to which some others choose so to do (much that I respect their free choice) gives me the heeby jeebies.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Well, this is it. It's a great tool but it's just that: a tool. If it doesn't offer anything which interests you, it's like having a claw hammer when you need a fork. There are people who get themselves into all sorts of issues on there, though to be fair that can happen on the web everywhere if you're not careful how you use your own information. I've never worked in an environment wherein I mixed work and social life (actually, I'm incredibly careful to keep them strictly separate), and the extent to which some others choose so to do (much that I respect their free choice) gives me the heeby jeebies.

Like you, I keep them separate! I have had no qualms about turning down friend requests from people at work. We're in a situation in my job at the moment where a lot of stuff is being decided based on who has slept with whom and a formal grievance has been filed between two colleagues who used to go drinking together often. It makes for a very hostile work environment when the boundaries overlap too much! So I am friendly at work but the relationship ends at 5pm.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Agreed. I only have a few friends from work, and these are people I don't "see" on a daily basis, either in my office or in the building itself.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really wasn't into Facebook until I got my iPhone. The mobile ap is so good that I find it about the easiest way to communicate with my pals, record what I'm doing, add photos etc. The mobile app is the real deal maker for me.

:arated:

djd

Practically Family
The dictionary suggests that buddy possibly comes from 'brother' - doesn't sound that convincing to me. Bubby sounds like a much better match

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinking of opening a Facebook account with the name 'Nobody' so that when I see something that I don't care for, I can 'Like' it. And it will say 'Nobody Likes This'.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm thinking of opening a Facebook account with the name 'Nobody' so that when I see something that I don't care for, I can 'Like' it. And it will say 'Nobody Likes This'.

The old saying, enter the contest, "somebody" has to win....changing my name tomorrow, to "somebody".....lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic