Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Failsworth Bowler...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hi,
I am finding it hard to tell whether this bowler is made of wool of fur felt. It looks old and it's stiff. It's made by Failsworth of London and styled by Selfridge, whatever that means. Is anybody familiar with this brand? Could somebody help me date it, please? How can I know if it's wool or fur?
The bowler belongs to my brother in law, he says it's been in his family since he can remember. He might want to sell it too. Very quick pictures these that follow. I have to give it a good brushing and steaming.

please don't mind the tiny tiger in the background!lol :eek: :p
DSC04445.jpg

DSC04442.jpg

DSC04440.jpg

Wool or Fur

I think the best way is to find a wool hat from somewhere and put it up beside the Derby. If you can't tell by looking at the two of them side by side then you should be able to tell by the feel. Steam the Derby to shape it. I have found that wool does not hold its shape very well where as fur will. I'm sure you'll get some other good advice here at the lounge as well.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Just steamed it. I took it very well, kept the shape. It soften up a bit. Has a niche feeling to the touch. Maybe it is fur then[huh]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it's fur felt. Looks like it has a nice finish, and wool generally doesn't finish out that well. Just judging from the style of the brim and sweatband, I'd say it's late-'50s, early-'60s. I don't know if there was a Bowler revival in England that corresponded with the Derby revival of '59 in America, but it looks to be from that time period, though it could even be later than that.

Looks like a nice Bowler.

Brad

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano, I believe Selfridges was a well known London department/clothing store, in business for years. I do not think it is still in business but I believe anything they sold was top quality. I'd bet it is fur.

Just checked Google...it is still in business. Here's a link to Wikipedia about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfridges

galopede

One of the Regulars
Selfridges stores are still going strong, as are Failsworth hats!

Selfridge is one of the big department store chains here with four branches around the country.

I certainly don't remember a bowler revival in the 60's but they were still being worn by City businessmen back then.

I would guess it's a fur felt. I have an almost as new Dunn's menswear stores bowler from around then that I wear in my alter ego as a morris dance musician and that's a fur.

Failsworth hat make all sorts of hats from flat caps to fedoras though their fedora quality isn't that great these days, all wool felt as far as I know. I see them a lot in country stores and at country shows.

Failsworth

Selfridges

Gareth

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe one way to tell a good quality bowler, is to look at the edge. If it's really curved way over (just as with a top hat) and very hard and stiff, then it's fur. Wool just doesn't have the structural integrity to do that and the edge will look very wobbly and soft.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I believe one way to tell a good quality bowler, is to look at the edge. If it's really curved way over (just as with a top hat) and very hard and stiff, then it's fur. Wool just doesn't have the structural integrity to do that and the edge will look very wobbly and soft.

yup. great tip. Fur it is. How much do you guys think I could sell this for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80