Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fall jackets

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
I'm looking for a Fall jacket that can be worn casually with denim/button up. I backed a Gustin trucker jacket last week but won't see it for another 2 months, by which time it will be Winter. I'd like something versatile and warm. Not really looking for leather jackets. Got any recommendations and pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robrinay

One Too Many
The main manufacturers - Levi's, Wrangler, Lee, Sears Roebuck, Carhartt etc. All made blanket lined denim jackets in a variety of styles - my advice take it or leave it is to check out eBay. Search for 'blanket lined denim jacket'.

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
I should've been clearer in my post. I'm not looking for a denim jacket. I'm thinking of a wool coat....perhaps something along the lines of what Filson might sell without the huge price tag

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I should've been clearer in my post. I'm not looking for a denim jacket. I'm thinking of a wool coat....perhaps something along the lines of what Filson might sell without the huge price tag

Just before your last post I was going to suggest a Filson jacket. I just won an eBay auction last night for a shelter cloth packer coat in large, extra long that will take all of the Filson zip-in liners. The coat retails for $360, although I won the auction for $79. The same seller listed the more popular tin cloth packer coat in extra large, extra long that sold for over $200 but would have been too big for me. If I lived in Minneapolis rather than N Texas, I would look for a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser or even a Double Mackinaw Cruiser in 42 extra long.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I know you expressed concern about the price of a Filson jacket, but they are really solidly built and will last you quite a while. I have the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser and it is one of my absolute favorites. In your neck of the woods, a Double Mackinaw may be more appropriate. They are sold in chest sizes rather than S,M,L and are cut big to allow for layering. I sized down one as I just use it for a fall coat.

As Fanch mentioned, you can find deals on them through ebay. Might as well have the best. :cool:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The RJ Mackinaws look Ok. Rather buy a vintage jacket from Vintage Haberdashers. He always finds some great stuff and it's cheaper (and better) than most repros.
Hunting jackets, Canvas, jeep coats, wool plaid, blanket coats. Stuff like this.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even less usually if you don't need the ultra fancy versions. The red buffalo plaid jackets go for peanuts and they look the part with denim and work boots imo.

tumblr_mzaiz7YWSB1t2ehsjo1_500.jpg

and modern:
tumblr_n9zjhuFLA61s9n6iuo1_r1_500.jpg

Yo dawg. I heard you like plaid.
tumblr_n3yw2m5sdE1s9n6iuo1_r2_500.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
If you're looking for one like the man in the center, I can hook you up with an 80 year old original- made of much higher quality materials than the copies- for ten dollars plus shipping. Those plaid jackets were worn casually and as workwear back in the day, and even the designs of 100 year old models don't look that dated today.

Vintage canvas jackets are great in the fall. You said no leather, but in the 1920s-1960s, suede jackets were always popular this time of year, and now can be picked up at a tenth of their smooth leather counterparts.

Last edited:
You said no leather, but in the 1920s-1960s, suede jackets were always popular this time of year, and now can be picked up at a tenth of their smooth leather counterparts.

Pulled my wife's late Grandfather's old suede work jacket out of his closet to give it a new life on my back. The lining may make it a late-Fall jacket and the two-way zip will probably come in handy. Anyone have any idea on the age? This is the simplest Zero King label that I've been able to dig up in my limited searching.

Bob

14985655347_115c157bd8.jpg

15171849422_c5650d9a46.jpg

15171852322_52093cf793.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
Take a look a Schaefer Outfitters. They might have something you like, and they are produced in the U.S.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Pulled my wife's late Grandfather's old suede work jacket out of his closet to give it a new life on my back. The lining may make it a late-Fall jacket and the two-way zip will probably come in handy. Anyone have any idea on the age? This is the simplest Zero King label that I've been able to dig up in my limited searching.

Bob

Late 1950s

zzzbrod

New in Town
I like wearing wool bomber jackets for the fall to early winter. I usually look for it over at Nordstrom, JCrew, or JCPenney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace