Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous Fedora Lovers

Redbeard

New in Town
Good day gentlemen.

First of all I would like to introduce myself since this is the first time I post here at the Fedora Lounge. The people who visit C.O.W. might know me. My real name is Tim, I am 30 years old and I come from germany. I'm into film noir, movies in genreal, of cause Indiana Jones and prop replicating. Oh, and thank you for inviting me here MK.

Here goes my question:
Does anybody know, what kind of hats Michael Jackson and Freddy Krueger are wearing (NO, it's not the same person ;) ). I just saw a picture from Freddy vs. Jason and it looked to me as if Freddy was wearing HJ without a ribbon.

Cheers,
Redbeard

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
He's famous for his hat...

Today my wife said that I am now known for my hat. Of course, most people that know me in my current profession know me for a "fedora" and aren't aware that I have more than one "hat." Still, her point is well taken.

It made me think, though. How many celebrities have we known for their hat?

We were talking earlier on another thread about the "hat guy" of the year being Johnny Depp for that fedora we are always seeing him in. In his private life he is beginning to become known for that hat. But not quite yet,. His hat is not quite ubiquitous.

But there are those who are known for their hats. So I sat down and came up with a few. (in no certain order)

Wild Bill Hickock and his wide brim, flat topped western
Abe Lincoln and his stovepipe topper
Bat Masterson and his derby
Buffalo Bill Cody and his cowboy hat
Howard Hughes and his knocked about fedora
Winston Churchill and his bowler
Maybe even Amelia Earhart and her flyer's cap
Laurel and Hardy for their derbies
Charlie Chaplin and his derby
Tom Mix and his giant cowboy hat
Roy Rogers and his slightly less gargantuan hat
Al Capone and his light colored, Hollywood brim fedora
Fred Astaire for his topper
Frank Sinatra for his Cavanaghs
LBJ and his Rancher-style fedora
Harpo Marx was always seen in one wacky hat or another
Perhaps John Philip Sousa and his militarized cap
Guitar player Slash and his leather topper

Does the Cat in the Hat, Sherlock Holmes and Santa Clause count?

There are more, of course. But these are the ones that came to mind immediately.

Alex

Practically Family
Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones of course, if it counts:p

Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee?
paul-hogan-crocodile-dundee.jpg

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Slammin' Sammy Snead, the great golfer, was famous for his stingy brim straw hats.
Buster Keaton wore a trademark pork pie. His stunts were so stressful, he said he went through 4 or 5 of them every movie.
Of course every cowboy in the Golden Age of westerns had a distinctive hat. Hopalong Cassidy had a tall brimmed black ten gallon hat, to go along with his black outfit. The Lone Ranger, on the other hand, had a pure white hat.
The fictional Davey Crockett that Walt Disney created in 1954 wore a coon skin cap, as did the fictionalized Daniel Boone character that Fess Parker also played. The fact was, however, that the real Daniel Boone detested coon skin caps, and always wore a very wide brimmed felt hat.
Yancy Derringer, who was on TV around 1959, always sported a wide brimmed planter style hat as he strode through ante bellum New Orleans.
Oh, man, I can't believe it took me so long to think of this one. Zorro! He wore a Zorro hat! Don't need any other description!
Getting back to real people, FDR's right hand man, Harry Hopkins (aka Hurry Upkins) was famous for having about the most disreputably beat up old fedora in the western world.
I'd say Admiral Halsey was pretty identified with the Naval baseball cap.
I think LBJ's hat was a Stetson Open Road. I think there's some law in Texas about politicians having to wear one. ;)
Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower were also frequently seen in an Open Road.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Heck, that's how my wife can pick me out of a huge crowd any more. There are some days I'll wear my flat cap and she can lose me in a store. I remember one time she walked right past me in the Mac store and got frustrated at the back of the store because she thought I wasn't in there. Our son & I had a nice laugh over that one.

Garth Brooks known for his Stetson Low Places hat.
FDR had a variety of crushed fedoras.
Hopalong Cassedy in his distinctive black hat.
Calvan Cooledge was a serious hat man.

Cheers!

Dan

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hedda Hopper was famous for her outrageous hats, but if we're just sticking to men:
Uncle Sam in the red, white & blue top hat.
Various founding fathers & Revolutionary War heroes in tricorner hats.
Daniel Boone's racoonskin cap
Ben Franklin's fur hat (the name of the style escapes me at the moment)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Take one look at my current avatar, and you'll know that Clint Eastwood is pretty famous for his Man With No Name hat from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, and A Fistful of Dollars. I think out of all the hats Eastwood's worn in westerns or otherwise, this is his most iconic, that brown telescope crown gaucho hat with a homburg-style brim.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Although he wore a number of different westerns, John Wayne was known for one in particular.

wayne.jpg

I, too, Daniel, am easily locatable by wife in a crowd. If we go in somewhere seprately, like after I drop her off and park the car, I call her on the cell when I enter a building and she tells me which way to walk based on her view of my hat. Very handy.

T Rick

Practically Family
Other entertainers as well. The Blues Brothers come to mind.

BluesBrothers.jpg

And this year's winner of America's Got Talent, Michael Grimm only performed one night without a hat of some sort (while known for "his hat", like many he wore more than one, just that most people don't notice the difference unless there is a radical change of style).

Michael-Grim-AGT-Bill-Medley-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner