Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous Hat Wearers of the Past!

Tiller

Practically Family
(I tried finding this with the search function to no avail. If someone knows of such a thread please merge them. :))

I figured it was about time we had a thread showing some of the great hat wearers of days gone by. Personally I think Calvin Coolidge was our most "multicultural" hat wearer who also happened to be President (What a title I know!). Coolidge was known to play "dress up" a lot especially during speeches or public events with the people. Although I'm doing 20th-21st century Presidents I'd like to see pics of many famous hat wearers of the past, not just politicians!

2009-1-22_CalvinCoolidgeWeb-Large.jpg

Calvin Coolidge in a Top Hat.

calvin-coolidge.jpg

With a Cowboy Hat.

prh_01_img0063.jpg

Coolidge in a Homburg, with the Chiefs of America's Native Americans after signing a bill that made them US citizens.

calvincoolidge.jpg

Coolidge with some more Native Americans, showing that he is the Chief of the American Nation.

prod_28076.jpg

Coolidge the Newsboy.

President-Coolidge-008.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Coolidge and Senate Majority Leader/ Vice President Charles Curtis(R). Curtis was the first person with acknowledged non-European ancestry to reach either of the two highest offices in the United States government's executive branch (and the last until Barack Obama's election as president in 2008). Most of Curtis' maternal ancestry was Native American, and he spent years of childhood living with his maternal grandparents on their Kaw reservation. (Source Wiki.) Calvin Coolidge himself though had some Native blood in his veins, which he talks about in his autobiography.

AP_Coolidge_Cowboy400-1225195958.jpg

Calvin Coolidge playing Cowboy.

coolidge.jpg

Another pic of Coolidge playing Cowboy.

Tiller

Practically Family
coolidge.jpg

Coolidge in a boater shaking hands with Walter Johnson.

coolidge3Sm.jpg

Coolidge Trap Shooting. The inspiration for Tom Mix lol .

db_00921.jpg

The Farmer's son Calvin Coolidge with his Dad Colonel John Coolidge.

db_00931.jpg

Another pic of Coolidge with his Father on the Farm.

sp_AAIB026_16x20~Harry-Truman-and-General-Douglas-MacArthur-Posters.jpg

The only hat seller to make it to high office, Harry Truman with Douglas MacArthur.

truman.jpg

Truman and FDR getting out of the rain.

c

Truman showing us how to do some "vintage" fishing.

U1506280.jpg

An older Truman showing not all style died as time went by, December 27, 1965.

22d5355bf2770c7.jpg

Truman, Freemason with Top Hat.

JohnFKennedy15.jpg

Although usually blamed for being the man who destroyed hat wearing in America, JFK wasn't afraid to put on a fedora.

jfk_and_ike_1961.jpg

JFK and Ike both in Top Hats.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Tiller. I'm taking notes.

This particular hat that Harry is wearing lived through a number of creases (variations from cattlemans to diamonds and arrow heads. The President could change his hat crease just as fast as he could change his mind on policy ;). The hat currently resides in the museum at the Truman Library at Independence, MO.

sp_AAIB026_16x20~Harry-Truman-and-General-Douglas-MacArthur-Posters.jpg

My favorite historical hat. :D.

Tiller

Practically Family
einstein-hat.jpg

Einstein in a nice hat.

godel-einstein.jpg

Kurt Gödel and Einstein in hats. Einstein is also smoking the briar on this one.

Sir-Arthur-Conan-Doyle.jpg

I think the shot of Arthur Conan Doyle is from the end of his life. Their is a video of him from 1930 (I'll have to double check the year, but I think that is correct) were he talks about Holmes, and is carrying either that exact hat or one similar.

3252100.jpg

Speaking of Holmes here is William Gillette, who was famous for bringing the great detective to life on stage. Here he is in the famous deer stalker, that Holmes rarely wore in the books (although drawn with it a few times). Gillette made the deerstalker cap a part of cannon that many fans recognizes.

President-Coolidge-015%2BCOLORED.jpg

Another pic of Coolidge and his father, but in "color".

1019.jpg

Booker T. Washington, Byrd Prillerman and Kelly Miller

U223806P-A.jpg

Journalist H.L. Mencken Arrives Aboard S.S. Bremen, with Cigar and Hat in hand.

3334007.jpg

G.K. Chesterton with hat and cigar.

78195-004-74BB6D05.jpg

U.S. President Grover Cleveland, and President-elect William McKinley en route to the inauguration ceremony, 1897, future President Teddy Roosevelt is in the background with his hat off. Sadly the first President of the 20th century didn't last very long, and was assassinated in 1901. (Source Britannica)

Tiller

Practically Family
CRH said:
Thanks, Tiller. I'm taking notes.

This particular hat that Harry is wearing lived through a number of creases (variations from cattlemans to diamonds and arrow heads. The President could change his hat crease just as fast as he could change his mind on policy ;). The hat currently resides in the museum at the Truman Library at Independence, MO.

So being a former haberdasher does have it's perks when your in high office ;).

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sargon said:
The Dobbs logo in Hardings photo looks like Photoshop. Or was it Ye Olde Photoshoppe?

Nope, that's just as I scanned it from a 1924 publication. It's a half-tone, I think they call it. Here is the full-size scan of the image:

DobbsHarding.jpg

Brad

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
So being a former haberdasher does have it's perks when your in high office ;).

Hold on here. I should have caught this earlier.

Truman sold hats and other men's cloths but didn't make them. He was indeed a haberdasher (a retailer) but not a hatter (a manufacturer).

And he wasn't very successful at it :(.

Keep 'em comming, Tiller!

Tiller

Practically Family
Alton_Parker.jpg

A man rarely remembered today. Judge Alton Parker was the 1904 Democratic candidate for President and the last Classical Liberal to run for office. He was a conservative Bourbon_Democrats in the mold of Grover Cleveland. He's one of the most famous people from Cortland New York. Teddy Roosevelt beat him in the general election. From the 1904 election Wikipedia article:
The Democrats knew Roosevelt was colorful and popular with the people. Because of this, the Democrats felt the only way to defeat Roosevelt was by nominating an equally good man. The Democrat best qualified for this task was Alton B. Parker, a Bourbon Democrat from New York. Parker was the Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals and was respected by both Democrats and Republicans in his state. He was so well liked on both sides of the aisle that on many occasions the Republicans did not put up a candidate to oppose him. Parker refused to work actively for the nomination but did nothing to restrain his supporters.

will-rogers.jpg

The famous wise crack and cowboy Will Rogers.

douglas-fairbanks.jpg

The famous actors Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford.

510px-Walt_Disney_NYWTS.jpg

Walt Disney did more then just draw cartoons, and create and economic super power. He also knew how to wear a hat ;).

loc_vc118.jpg

AAAAABBBBBBOOOOOTTTTTTT lol. Who can forget Budd Abbott and Lou Costello?

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
My favorite President

President-Coolidge-008.jpg

The top hat that President Coolidge is wearing in this picture looks curious: Only the very top of the hat appears to have the characteristic sheen of silk plush, whilst the rest looks almost as though its all covered in grosgrain.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It looks like the photo was taken through a window. The aberration is also on his face and the coat in the background.

Once I find my scanner and the book again, I've got one of Mac in a hat other than The Cap, forgive me my n00b-level ignorance but I can't tell if we're talkin' homburg or fedora. (But I'm trying to learn, even though my primary interest is WWII... and I don't think that stingy-brim worked for JFK at all.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn