Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

E.E.W.

New in Town
There is a time and place for flip-flops. I don't have any real problem with women wearing them because....well women take better care of their feet. Its men that should not wear them other than to the beach. By all means please don't wear shower shoes.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I don't think anyone has a problem with flip flops per say, it's just that flip flops are beach shoes, not general casual shoes, and therefore should be worn on the beach/seaside area. My pet peeves, in no particular order:

1. Leggings. I had to wear these as a child in the 80's and I hated them. I hate them even more now.

2. Hoodies, esp. with hood pulled up for no particular reason. And especially if said hood is being worn over baseball cap or pulled so tightly around the face only the eyes are visible. Since when was Kenny from South Park a style icon?

3. Anything to obviously or sleazily provocative i.e. sequined boob-tubes. And before people start jumping in with their 'I have a sequined boob-tube what's wrong with it?' please bear in mind that people wear things in different ways and all the sequined boob tubes I've seen so far have been particularly trashy.

4. Flashy logos. Ok you have a Guess bag. Who cares?

Dollydaydream - you look fantastic no matter what you wear. This thread is just a bit of fun :p

Living in the Black Country I'm pretty far from any beach like areas, I don't see why I should not be able to wear flip flops because of where I live. Plus I have tiny, nice feets which I do take care of, so I say it's ok. I don't particularly like men in flop flips though. I don't really like feet tbh.

I often wear a hoody, but only pull up the hood when it's a bit chilly, though I never wear a baseball cap...

I think that all clothes are ok so long as they are worn well, I mean, don't be wearing a size 12 if you're you're a 16, don't let your belly hang out underneath your tee (There is a local girl who does this), don't show your bum crack/thong etc etc etc. That's my problem, though I do have a muffin top of my own, so I'm not one to talk :eek:

Humm...I will never really understand the whole chav thing though...

alexandra

Practically Family
Yes I am wearing a hoody right now. They are wonderful and comfortable casual wear for lounging around or if it's cold or if you just feel like not dressing nicely like when you're on spur of the moment vacation so you didn't bring enough clothes and have to throw on whatever you have while you do laundry in some sketchy laundromat.

Or ESPECIALLY if you're dying of the black plague like I am right now.

I had one hoody that I would have rather died than give up. I had been through so many adventures in it. Then my ex boyfriend stole it and ruined it.

RIP <3

)':

837601628_l.jpg

l_a1f036ad7cf1380e69231e6875a7ac54.jpg

You so pretty Alexandra :) I hope you feel better soon. I hear a hot toddy is great for the Black Plague ;)

My grey hoody is like that. I wear it for weeks without washing it because I love it so much. Manky I know.

That's this hoody;
m_57db196a408b539a825b555029a48b35.jpg

And I LOVE that belt buckle toooooooo

Does anyone dislike converse too? JUst so I can make it a whole awful outfit, y'know... lol

alexandra

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
You so pretty Alexandra :) I hope you feel better soon. I hear a hot toddy is great for the Black Plague ;)

My grey hoody is like that. I wear it for weeks without washing it because I love it so much. Manky I know.

My mum suggested a hot toddy too. Great minds I guess!

I still can't believe that rat ripped up my favourite hoody. Sometimes I lie in bed and think about it and get filled with this burning rage. People say it's irrational and I shouldn't be thinking about that still, but I do!

Anyway thanks for saying I was pretty. Both pictures were those "caught off guard while turning to face the camera" poses so they're a bit awkward, but I never thought to take a portrait of me in that hoody...I thought we'd have a lifetime together *sob*!

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Caroline said:
In ladies fashion a few years ago, there was a big push for these odd, knee length "shorts" for the office, in tweeds and in suiting fabrics. You were supposed to wear them with tall boots. Yuck! I can't bring myself to find a photo of an example. In my head I called them "the new urban sombrero" ala Seinfeld. Happily, they are in the past for the most part.

I actually like that look, my friend does it and it looks quite cute on her with boots or heels. They just don't look good on me, much to my dismay:rolleyes:

JazzBaby

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
Does anyone dislike converse too? JUst so I can make it a whole awful outfit, y'know... lol

I'm with you on the Cons! I think I have a pair in every colour.

JazzBaby said:
I'm with you on the Cons! I think I have a pair in every colour.

Oh me too!! I love them!! So comfortable & last for aggggeeeesssssss!!

donCarlos said:
As usually, wikipedia provides one funny image related to this topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:No_hoodies_sign.jpg

Tht kind of thing is really common over here, some places won't let you in if you're wearing trainers, football colours, work boots. Pretty ridiculous. I think they don't realise that a trouble maker isn't necessarily going to be wearing a hoody/baseball cap/trainers [huh]

alexandra

Practically Family
I personally agree with certain places having dress codes. I wouldn't want to be in a nice restaurant where people were dressed in hoodies, but I obviously don't rule hoodies out completely.

Pip

A-List Customer
Sorry darlings lol

Although they can work, just not necessarily with suits...although I doubt this will gain me your forgiveness:D

Pip

A-List Customer
Spiffy said:
Nope, you're dead to me now, sorry.lol

*Hangs his head and sobs in the corner*:eusa_doh: lol

Next fashion fad that should be banished to hell.......the shell suit.:rage:

And parachute pants lol

My boyfriend wears converse all the time. His general everyday wear is; cords in some shade of black, shirt & suit jacket (he has many & could be a tweed, black or velvet jacket, depending on what is nearest whilst he's getting dressed I suppose). I fancy the (cordouroy) pants off him. His converse wearing doesn't disgust me, nor does he do ie because Mr Tennant does. He's been doing it for much longer.

What does annoy me is poeple who do it because of Mr Tennant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda