Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

suitedcboy

One Too Many
button up shirts that have some design or printing on them in a randon location or locations. Priniting looks like the shirt was laid upon something printed before the ink dried. I've seen this on plain shirts as well as plaid or striped.
I sure don't get it!

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
my two cents

This has been an entertaining thread, even if I disagree with many of the posts. :)

Regarding hip-hop style-- I don't really have a problem with it, if it's consistent, and if its age-appropriate. As a 34 year old nerdy academic, I think I'd look pretty ridiculous rolling into the classroom in a sideways New Era ballcap and basketball shoes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for some people.

Fashion is an extension of our personality in so many ways, and while I have my own I-would-never considerations (cases in point: I don't think any man off a ranch should ever wear cowboy boots; I don't think any man anywhere should wear a tank top), I also don't want to circumscribe what people should wear. (On a narcisstic level, the resultant homoegenity would eradicate the sublime exceptional status that the really well-dressed--by which I don't mean myself, but at least some level of aspiration--possess, no?

If everybody and his brother started wearing striped red ties with tie bars and corduroy blazers and vintage sunglasses or any of the other things that I really favor, I'd probably grow wary and look to something else that renders me at least a LITTLE bit out of the way.

And I wear jeans with wool and cotton blazers most days. Sue me. :)

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Several immediately spring to mind that involve baseball caps alone:

• Baseball caps backwards (unless turned this way for an activty where the bill would get in the way. e.g.: using a camera)
  • Baseball caps turned sideways.
  • Baseball caps with absolutely flat brims.
  • Baseball caps that cover the wearer's ears
  • Baseball caps with the reflective stickers still stuck on the brim (some hat manufacturers actually design these stickers with the expectation that the wearer will keep them on their eyesore of a hat. There ought to be a law.)
  • Baseball caps with an embroidered design that is the same color as the hat.

Now that I've offended the five or six people here that wear baseball caps...:whistling

Take Care,

BlindeMan

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
BlindeMan said:
[*]Baseball caps with an embroidered design that is the same color as the hat.

I agree on all the list items above but am slightly confused by this one. Do you have an pictorial example? I can't see why this would be offensive in itself but am perhaps missing the point!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
cherry lips said:
Hm, this is interesting. I agree with you completely regarding the untucked hawaiin shirt look for men, but what about women? Did women wear them in the 50s, and if so how and with what? Did they have a huge man's shirt untucked with shorts:eek: ? I have one that's my size, that I was thinking of wearing tucked in with capris and an elastic cincher belt... Please let me know how/if women wore them back in the day!

:eek:fftopic: ive a couple of origonal 1950s womens hawaiin shirts, both my size that i havent worn for a while (expanded waist line!!) but i like to wear with capri pants , and tie them under my bust!!
ive also some large newer ones that i wear loose when not going out with cropped jeans for sheer comfort!

fashion dislikes....its each to there own but i hate tiny outfits on girls/women that leave nothing to the imagination!!!....i may be showing my age there but ive ALWAYS worn 1950s style clothes since my early teens....the most revealing things being short shorts!!;) ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A look I never understood (rather than hate) was recently with the low rise jeans fading out, gals would still wear them, but with an extra long onion skin thin thermal shirt over them, to 'cover' the midsection, and then a super cropped sweater that was like a bikini top over it all to finish the look. :confused:

Never could wrap my head around that one. Arnt you cold? Maybe if the thermal was tucked INTO the jeans...:whistling

LD

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
E.E.W. said:
I am new here but these are mine
1. Flip Flops esp for men. I see them everywhere including restaurants, church, etc. I just really don't want to see a man's feet while I eat.
2. Baseball caps worn wrong and all the time.
3. Adults dressing like kids.
4. Men wearing shorts all the time and everywhere
5. Any garment that shows one underwear no mater who you are it is tacky
6. Burkinstocks for anyone

These are just a few that comes to mind
Well said sir i would just add not tucking your shirt in you did touch on this with item five on your list.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Boots over jeans.... Ladies unless you are built like a twig and have no tights or hips(like at all) it makes your thighs and hips look like the long lost twin of the Titanic. I'm sorry I know I'm mean but that needed to be put out there.

Ugg boots, they aren't cute, they aren't pretty , they aren't anything but simply ugly. If you are an Eskimo then maybe, but chances are if you aren't in Alaska (and very few other places) You don't need them.

Leggings as pants. To start with, leggings weren't even cute like 18-20 years ago when we were little girls how it it cute now? They are awful I hate them.

Ok I am done, goodness that felt nice to get out.

But I must disagree with the flip flop haters. I love my flip flops. Now before you say a word, they aren't the cheep plastic kinds, I have one pair that I am actually on my third pair of that they were $50 they are leather that I wear them just about all the time even in the winter (my feet get very hot and this the quickest fix, but flats have helped that a lot). Also I have another pair that is dressy for casual wear (if that makes sense) but I also know that there is a time and a place for them. But then again I am only 22 and I think it might be a thing that my generation is into. Who knows.

just_me

Practically Family
I guess I'm a lot more tolerant of what other people wear (I could go into a whole explanation for the reasons for it, but not now :) ). I like jeans, crocs, flip flops, hoodies, baseball caps, hawaiian shirts, and Converse and Van's sneakers. In fact, I own and wear all of them, but at the appropriate times. For example, I won't go to the theatre in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top (as I've seen others do).

What I don't like is underwear sticking out (that's why is called UNDERwear), clothes too tight that fat rolls are hanging out the top of the pants or under the bottom of a too-small shirt, and I'd rather not see your dark thong through white pants when you sit in front of me at a ballgame. :eek:

Grant Fan

Practically Family
just_me said:
I guess I'm a lot more tolerant of what other people wear (I could go into a whole explanation for the reasons for it, but not now :) ). I like jeans, crocs, flip flops, hoodies, baseball caps, hawaiian shirts, and Converse and Van's sneakers. In fact, I own and wear all of them, but at the appropriate times. For example, I won't go to the theatre in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top (as I've seen others do).

What I don't like is underwear sticking out (that's why is called UNDERwear), clothes too tight that fat rolls are hanging out the top of the pants or under the bottom of a too-small shirt, and I'd rather not see your dark thong through white pants when you sit in front of me at a ballgame. :eek:
haha I agree with everything you said. I happen to love jeans, they are the all American article of clothing in my opinion. I love flip flops and my hoodies and baseball hats I don't wear the other things you listed they don't bother me that much. I must admit that at times my underwear poke out of the back of my jeans when I sit but that's why I almost always wear shirts that cover it or carry a cardigan with me to put around the small of my back so people don't see it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm not a fan of anyone who dresses in a manner that suggests they're simply wearing a style that says "How will you deal with THIS?".
If you like what you're wearing because its your personal taste- I think thats awesome. If you want to shock or you're following the latest trend because....its the latest trend ,then I don't really care for it. You can usually tell which is which.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm pretty much in agreement with KY Gentleman. I'm only bothered if people truly don't CARE what they are wearing or don't care how they present themselves. To me, that's boring and lazy! I'd much prefer to see someone all decked out in a cowboy outfit or hip-hop clothes if that's truly what they are into than someone wearing some raggedy thing they care nothing about.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Shiny Greek style sandals with straps that tie up all the way to the knees paired with short shorts or a very short skirt. I see it all the time on the girls at my school. Eek.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Umm, folks, this is a forum dedicated to classic and vintage style from around 1940. There will be some, ummm, “intolerance” (in other words, insistence on certain canons of taste, rules of style, and CUSTOMS) here. People often get into vintage because, among other things (such as a love for Duke Ellington, film noir, etc.) they love the clothing and think that the clothing in the world they live in is ugly. To complain that people are closed minded on this forum when they complain about flip flops is like going to a hunting forum and complaining that the people there really need to convert to vegetarianism. If you're a vegetarian, should you be going to a hunting forum? Just asking.

My peeves:

1. Open double-breasted suit jacket, as Marlowe pointed out a few posts supra. YOU CANNOT DO THAT. What the hell is wrong with people? Just. Button. The. Damn. Thing. Oh, is it too hot? Guess what? Tough luck. Take the jacket off, then.

2. Trousers under dresses or skirts. I don’t know if this abomination caught on outside of San Francisco. It started when women wore black stockings under e.g. blue dresses, then they wore footless leotards under said dresses, and your eye perceived that as more or less a stocking; then jeans. Blue jeans under their dresses and skirts. The most abominable horror of decades. Worse, ONE OF MY FRIENDS DOES IT. Why lord why? Eli, eli, lama sabachthana.

3. Any words whatsoever on any clothing except if it is SHORTLY (maximum 1 month) after a very exciting, historic event that your shirt is celebrating

4. Hoodies. How about a hat? A fedora, even? Crazy?

5. Trousers worn so low that
a.) On boys: the entirety of the buttocks are above the waistline, in hip hop styles (so that if the t-shirt weren’t so long, you’d see their buttocks under their underpants)
b.) and, although not AS low, in girls so that you see the crack of the anus showing, parodied on SNL as the “coin slot.” How dégoutant. One day there will be excrement visible. That will not be amusing.

6. Entire families on vacation in San Francisco who all are wearing jeans, all of which are blue jeans (no black or green), all of which blue jeans are of the exact same fade. Incredibly visually annoying. Plus, when they are too stupid to know that San Francisco has very variable weather and thus gets very cold for a half-hour or so sometimes -- especially if you are riding the cable cars while you are on vacation in your stupid jeans -- so they shiver and shiver when they could have packed a sweater. This is no longer ignorance but actual stupidity; it's common sense to find out the weather conditions in the place where you are vacationing, and every single person by now should know or be able to find out that San Francisco's weather is variable like that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sometimes, it's all in the presentation, I learned recently.

On a plane in November, there was a fellow in lightly faded, but not damaged, blue jeans, a very clean white shirt, untucked, some perfectly clean white sneakers, a perfectly fitted blue deep velvet sport jacket, and an oversized white "ballcap" with the flat wide brim, no marking on it at all. All things I would have dismissed out of hand, but on him, it all worked. He looked dynamite!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Sometimes, it's all in the presentation, I learned recently.

On a plane in November, there was a fellow in lightly faded, but not damaged, blue jeans, a very clean white shirt, untucked, some perfectly clean white sneakers, a perfectly fitted blue deep velvet sport jacket, and an oversized white "ballcap" with the flat wide brim, no marking on it at all. All things I would have dismissed out of hand, but on him, it all worked. He looked dynamite!

True, some folks can get away with that sort of thing ... in my experience, a deep tan helps, as well as great physical fitness, bright eyes, a sense of relaxation, a nice smile.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Doran said:
2. Trousers under dresses or skirts. I don’t know if this abomination caught on outside of San Francisco. It started when women wore black stockings under e.g. blue dresses, then they wore footless leotards under said dresses, and your eye perceived that as more or less a stocking; then jeans. Blue jeans under their dresses and skirts. The most abominable horror of decades. Worse, ONE OF MY FRIENDS DOES IT. Why lord why? Eli, eli, lama sabachthana.

I used to do this in grammar school -- walking to school in the winter was intolerable otherwise, and girls weren't allowed to wear pants to class. I'd put on ski pants or something similar under my dress, and they'd come off as soon as I got to school. So maybe these trendy San Franciscans are actually New England first-graders in 1969 at heart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails