Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ortega76 said:
Several years ago, Esquire published a comedic article by David Sedaris where he writes about his attempt to dress better. He lets his father talk him into a bow tie and feels emasculated. He wrote that it was worn by old men and it was a symbol of lost virility. I've always seen the bow-tie as something worn by the inteligentsia, the philosophers, the artists.

Harry Truman would have laughed long and loud at such theories.

Edward

Bartender
I can't recall if I mentioned it in this thread or not - maybe I have, but.... one of my real pet hates is double breasted jackets being worn open. I had to do it once myself a few weeks ago owing to the sudden and unexpected loss of a button..... horrible. If one wants to wear a ajcket open, opt for a sb, I say.

I'm another one who is not a fan of low waists. I used to have a pair of (modern) 501s. Drove me round the bend with the low waist - kept wanting to pull them up and there was nothing there to go up. In terms of them being worn by the ladies, there are a coupel of things that make them a bad look in my eyes. Obviously, there's the excess flesh / underwear baring nature of them, which is rather lacking in class, but beyond that.... Anything tight-fitting but low waisted will always create a tummy even where none exists: IMHO, a higher waist is much more flattering on anyone. The other thing that they do - and this is the real reason why the continued fashionability of the low waist amazes me - is elongate the body, making the legs look much shorter, which does'nt help anyone.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Anything tight-fitting but low waisted will always create a tummy even where none exists: IMHO, a higher waist is much more flattering on anyone. The other thing that they do - and this is the real reason why the continued fashionability of the low waist amazes me - is elongate the body, making the legs look much shorter, which does'nt help anyone.

Well said--low-slung pants aren't very flattering on the vast majority of women. About the only women I've seen who can really carry them off are professional or serious amateur dancers.

ortega76

Practically Family
Edward said:
The other thing that they do - and this is the real reason why the continued fashionability of the low waist amazes me - is elongate the body, making the legs look much shorter, which does'nt help anyone.

I think the low-rise pants continue because high-waisted pants are seen as "old". Among women, there is a desire to avoid the dreaded "mom jeans"- poorly cut, unflattering high-waisted denim often topped by holiday sweaters or the like. So to the average woman shopping, she equates "high waisted" with "old".

It's too bad, really, since (as has been stated) a well-cut high-waisted pant is very becoming and classic.

just_me

Practically Family
Also, when some big-breasted women wear high-waisted pants (especially if the woman is high waisted), they look like their boobs are sitting on their waists. :)

SimonTemplar

New in Town
1. Flat front pants
2. Newsboy hats worn backwards.
3.Striped suit,striped shirt, striped tie(worn together)
4. Ties with no dimples
5. Leather ties
6. Elastic braces, and clip-on braces.

Doc

New in Town
Paisley,
I’m sorry but I didn’t mean to offend you. Pant suits are just not something I find flattering. Pant-blouse combos do however looks good.

LaMedcine,
I agree with you completely, heals have no place in that situation. Safety and functionality all come first and fashion comes last. My lab coat comment though was only directed at those who wear it out of hospital.

NickD,
Elf shoes, never thought of that.

Moby

Familiar Face
Camouflage!

Camouflage clothing worn anywhere but the deep woods or in combat. Especially hats! More especially, more than one camouflage item at a time!

donCarlos

Practically Family
Moby said:
Camouflage clothing worn anywhere but the deep woods or in combat. Especially hats! More especially, more than one camouflage item at a time!
We can broaden this to "any clothes with a certain purpose worn without serving its purpose", which includes all kinds of sportswear worn while not sporting, camouflage clothes worn without need of hiding oneself etc. That´s equally silly as e.g. wearing riding outfit for a walk through the city :)

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
there are quite a few things which i would never wear, but i don't mind what others do. the only exception to this is girls wearing overly revealing clothing, and young girls dressing like little streetwalkers. but that's a modesty issue, not a fashion debate.

although i don't like the look of the classic croc, the mary-jane ones are halfway decent, and i want to get some for the garden. a place for everything, no?

a lot of people have said they don't like shirttails to be untucked, but i rather like them that way...

real fashion hates are the way that nothing is made to last anymore, and the feel of 90% of the fabric the clothing is made out of in most stores.
also, the fact that there are only stores/clothing for men who are both big AND tall - my husband is 6'7" and is rather skinny, and he just can't find clothing that fits at all. has to wear jeans lower so they're long enough, (but not hiphop low!), and wear an untucked shirt to mask the lowness - sleeves always rolled, because the sleeves aren't long enough... (hard to find shirts just long enough in the body, without being super wide as well).

my sister wears the ridiculous bright/loud unmatching color combinations all of the time, but is picky about not wearing black/brown/navy together...? she tells me my color choices are "too boring"!

oh! and the high waisted pants that have super skinny legs with an ankle opening of about 5" and a waist that goes over my chest?! crazy!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Shoes without socks

Pantyhose is no longer required where I work. I'll continue to wear them, though, for a few reasons:

• To hide my fluorescent white legs. Fluorescent is not the new pale.
  • To keep my shoes from sticking to my feet. I find it unpleasant.
  • To keep my shoes from absorbing perspiration (and therefore eventually taking on a permanent funk).
  • To hide the veins in my feet. Bulging veins say "sweaty gladiator," a look I don't aspire to.
  • I won't have to apply sunscreen to my feet and legs.

However, I won't wear hose with sandals. But I do wear sandals with confidence because

• I keep my toenails trimmed and the polish touched up
  • I keep the calluses filed down and smooth. I don't want to look like I need a farrier.

ortega76

Practically Family
Moby said:

I dunno- I have a great pair of camo BDUs which I wear for weeding the garden, cutting lawn or moving heavy objects. Indestructible and great for chores around the house.

ortega76 said:
I dunno- I have a great pair of camo BDUs which I wear for weeding the garden, cutting lawn or moving heavy objects. Indestructible and great for chores around the house.

I think he meant when people use them for cruising around the mall or just walking down the street and maybe at weddings not for weeding. ;) :p
Then again, what do I know. I wear khakis and a button down shirt to do yardwork. [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
jamespowers said:
I wish more sandal wearing men would do this.
It should be mandatory for ANY sandal wearers to have regular pedicures. Personally, my tresses and tootsies are trimmed concurrently, on a monthly basis.

Tomasso said:
It should be mandatory for ANY sandal wearers to have regular pedicures. Personally, my tresses and tootsies are trimmed concurrently, on a monthly basis.

Monthly?! Geez, my hair would be hippie hair---then again my feet would be hippie feet as well.;) :p Has to be every two weeks with trimmer touch ups in between that. [huh]
I never wear sandals though so......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24