Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh yes, Clyde's famous 1934 Ford 4 door sedan! That's a cool car. That is also why 34 Ford's are so desirable!

The 1934 Ford four door will go down in history as one of the most popular Fords of the 20th Century!

34_Ford_Fourdoor_Green-rsb.jpg

And I even like the color!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
My favorite 40s car, the '41 Cadillac was already posted.

Now, as for 60s cars, here is one which is just my style...

khruschev1.jpg

That "60's" car looks a lot more 50's. It doesn't look like any Cadillac I've seen but, I think it's not an American make. Do supply more info on this car if you please!

Oh, you're a '41 Cadillac man too? I love that model! Especially this one!!!

cad04.jpg

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The black "mystery car" is actually a 1962 Chaika, produced in the Soviet Union. Post-war Soviet cars usually looked like copies of American cars from years earlier, as is evident in this case. Obviously someone at the Chaika design bureau saw a mid-50s Caddy and thought that is what a luxury car should look like.

Of course, prior and during WW2 the Russians did the same thing, such as this GAZ M1, a model built from 1935-43. Remind you of a particular American car?

gaz-m1.jpg

Also seen in armored form:

image1408.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I knew that had to be a Soviet car seeing the background behind it!:p It's a sharp car my friend!

This is really something!

gaz-m1.jpg

Looks almost like a 34 Ford.

I also really like the armored variation! That's a real keen photo!

=WR=

Michaelson

One Too Many
Commodore, are you sure you're not Clive Cussler just moonlighting here in disguise?[huh] ;)

You collection is impressive, my friend! My step-grandmother used to ONLY own Caddy's too, and was in the habit of purchasing her monsters, and having those imfamous clear plastic seat covers installed. None of her cars ever had seat belts, and when she'd take us for a ride, we'd slide back and and forth on that back seat and slam against one side of the car, then the other while she talked a mile a minute, and chain smoked her filter tipped cigarettes! She was a hoot!:) She's been gone for over 35 years, and I still miss her.:(

High regards! Michaelson

Its all about a huge engine that costs a ton of money:
1931_Cadillac_Roadster.jpg

1931 Cadillac V-16 Roadster

40%20Cad%2075%20Town%20Car.jpg

1940 Cadillac 75 Town Car

41%20Cad%20Conv%20Sedan.jpg

1941 Cadillac Convertible Phaeton

and not in the best color for a photo but
1959_Eldorado_Biarritz_Convertible_2.JPG

1959 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
better photo:
paulgraham_1879_8442933

That about covers it and I would drive them all. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I almost forgot:
031013_155_std.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
Late thirties Coupes from Plymouth, Dodge, or Chrysler. i like Salesman coupes alot.

Gooooood taste my friend! Good to have another MoPar man!

By the way, the proper name for a "salesman coupe" is Business coupe.;)

=WR=

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Of course the Cords, Auburns, etc. are amazing. The Dusey SJs are the ne plus ultra of class and style. But for something I could actually conceive of owning and driving around, I've always liked the '39 and '40 Fords, preferably a convertible.

Tin Pan Sally

Wish he still had it

Wild Root said:
That's a 40's Jeep! Man, I have taken many a ride in my friend's '42 Ford Jeep and I know that I want one bad! They can go just about any where! Just a kick to ride in and explore around the country side in! Got to love those WWII Jeeps!=WR=

My brother owned a 1942 Army surplus jeep! It was this huge group effort to fix it up. I loved getting rides in that baby.

I'm no automotive expert but my favorite car would be a 1940 Ford sedan. I love the rounded shape and the interior. Any late 30s-40 sedan (like Twitch's profile pic) with that heavy strong build, huge front, you could lay down under the hood, "get out of my way I'm coming through", design.
Cars now are so flimsy.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tin Pan Sally said:
Cars now are so flimsy.

Amen:cheers1:

My '46 Plymouth is solid and one can just hear it as you close one of the doors. I remember learning to drive that car before I bought it; it was a new sensation to drive a car like that. You could just feel the weight!

A modern car that's worth mentioning that I have driven before that didn't have the "Flimsy factor" was a late model VW Jetta. I remember barrowing one for a week and it drove fast and was peppy but, it felt solid and heavy! I liked it! Too bad it didn't look like a 40's car though.:p

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have always thought it would be cool to design a modern car which was built to maximize reliability and durability while removing all the pointless luxury and electronic features which cause modern cars so many problems. I would create something which looked sort of like an early 1980s Volvo. It would have manual windows, manual locks, seat adjustments, radio controls, etc. The interior would be easy to clean and durable, no heated seats, leather armrests or whatnot.

Basically all the money invested into the design would be to make it last 250,000 miles or longer. You could even warranty the car to last that long. It would also have enough redundent and backup features to make it easy to repair in the field, or at least able to limp to a repair shop if broken.

Not only would it be good for industrialized countries, but it would be great in developing countries especially in rural areas where repair is infrequent and cars get a lot of hard use.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
I would create something which looked sort of like an early 1980s Volvo.

*GASP* You're not serious! You mean you find something like this thing attractive???

262DuncanHarvey6B.jpg

Sorry man, if you're going to make a custom car, it should look like well, something that hasn't been done before or, something that hasn't been done for 60 years.:p

Or, this would be better! THE HOMER!
homer_dreamcar.gif

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
*GASP* You're not serious! You mean you find something like this thing attractive???

Sorry man, if you're going to make a custom car, it should look like well, something that hasn't been done before or, something that hasn't been done for 60 years.:p

Or,
=WR=

The reason why I like the Volvo's styling (also the Mercedes) is that they chose a very conservative, non-flashy, utilitarian body style and stuck with it for years and years. If you look at most GM cars from the 70s or 80s they look terrible today, but the European cars while obviously looking old, don't look bad at all.

The Volvo is great because it is almost the archetype body style for a car. It looks like the little illustrations of cars you see on parking and road signs. The Volvo is basically the essence of the 4-door sedan distilled into reality. It broadcasts to the world the fact that the driver is not some insecure prole who needs a Ferrari to show the world his wealth or to pick up girls.

0805.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran