Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Detective?

Kardor

New in Town
The Wolfe Man

Nobody mentioned Nero Wolfe. Am I the only fat guy on these boards? Interestingly, to me anyway, is that the obvious actor to portray Wolfe in the Golden Age was Sidney Greenstreet, although he did essay him on radio.

Kardor

Mycroft

One Too Many
Kardor said:
Nobody mentioned Nero Wolfe. Am I the only fat guy on these boards? Interestingly, to me anyway, is that the obvious actor to portray Wolfe in the Golden Age was Sidney Greenstreet, although he did essay him on radio.

Kardor

I love Nero Wolfe. I also like Sherlock Holmes, Batman, Sandman, (they are detetives as part of their powers), Joe Friday, and Bill his partner.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Forget about it Jake...

...it's Chinatown

china1.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Captain Krunch said:
The Hardy Boys were pretty cool....

hbos01d4du.jpg

The Hardy Boys were cool! I remember as a kid, the library had a whole shelf packed with the books and I when my mom took me there I would load up on Hardy Boys and read them about one a night until I was out and had to go load up again.

geo

Poirot

Going back to Poirot, I bought the DVD "Poirot The Complete Collection", and it's a must for anyone who likes Art Deco.

Jay

Practically Family
Bogart as Phillip Marlowe remains my favorite. I know in the books Marlowe stood at 6 feet tall, but Bogart played a somewhat more believable, flawed (If that could be the right choice of wording) character.

Novella

Practically Family
I have to join everyone else who said Nick Charles, although I'm equally a fan of Nora Charles.

When I was little I loved Nancy Drew. When I was slightly less little I was a Sally Lockhart fan.

shamus

Suspended
Anything by Raymond Chandler.

Nick and Nora,

Inspector Jacques Clouseau

I like a good (and not so good) detective... hense the name...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I just realized which Hardy Boys book is shown

I broke out my old (1940s?) copy of The Tower Treasure to read to my youngest son at night. I have collected some of the books for my sons, hoping they'll get interested.

The Wolf

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me I'd have to say I really enjoyed the weekly episodes of The Untouchables with Robert Stack. Not a detective in the private eye sense detective work did uncover lots of illicit booze. Set in the era of cool old cars and at a time when average folks could own submachine guns, it went a long way to portray life and wardrobes of the times each week.
stack.jpg

If we're allowed childhood books, The famous Five and The Secret Seven were all good.

Sherlock holmes is great. I like all the portrayals - except that terrible 60s/70s/80s? movie. I'm not really taken with the Brett performance either. I'm currently watching the TV series with Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford. It's a little corny - as a lot of 50s TV tends to be - but i enjoy it.

bk

topcat

Familiar Face
Robert Mitchum in "Farewell My Lovely". Philip Marlowe.

Mitchum catches PERFECTLY every little nuance you can think of ,of how to portray the world weary ,seen it all,been there done that, film noir detective.
Completely spent. Could'nt faze him if you tried.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Agreed. Mitchum is great as Marlowe...

...I just wish he would have played him back in the day. Period films try to capture the era and at the time they might work.....but give them a few years and it is usually very apparent when they were shot. .... as the case of the ones shot in the 70's & 80's.

chilidawgguy

New in Town
karol...check out the works of Julie Smith. She has several female detective series set in both San Francisco and New Orleans. If you have access to a used bookstore you may be able to pickup a whole series at one time. Her books are always a terrific read and her characters are simply delightful. As far as other detectives go, leave us not forget radio's Lamont Cranston. What evil lurks in the hearts of men? Da Shadow knows!

topcat

Familiar Face
If detectives from Radio programs are included here as well ,then The Fat Man
is a pretty powerful one , the booming voice and all ,he commanded quite the presence just from his verbal delivery.

Mr Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons quite the opposite of the Fat Man , but brilliant in his deducing.

Worth mentioning as well , Richard Diamond and Barry Craig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24