Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Historic Buildings or Places

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
1) Response to video 1:

Thank you for sharing this one. I really enjoyed watching it. By the end, I was so overwhelmed with sadness. It reminded me of Clearman's Village that was once on Rosemead and Huntington. I had so many memories of that place and was very upset when they tore it down. Only Northwood's Inn remains. "The Boat" restaurant moved to a different spot in the same block. The original boat dates back to 1913 and it was originally a mail service boat. John Clearman moved it to the corner of Rosemead and Huntington in 1968. I remember before they tore it all down, I went on a "goodbye tour" and took a bunch of pictures of the buildings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlegirllost1/493387852/

Old Boat
store.jpg

New Boat - http://www.flickr.com/photos/guzzleandnosh/5406220042/in/photostream/

2) Video 2 comment:

I saw the Villa Rivera in the video and the Pike!! That was a fun video to watch. I tried counting all the buildings I could find, but then after a while I lost count! lol

As you can probably guess, I like this building! :thumbs up:

Is the building no longer there VC? If it isn't that's a shame. :(

The building is still there because it's on the Historic Register. They tore everything else down. I remember that the fiction section was way in the back. It was off in another room and was dark and spooky-looking. lol

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Hooray! It would be nice to see it come back to life someday. :)

Speaking of spooky places. The restrooms at the Pig n Whistle on Hollywood Blvd are pretty creepy. You'd always have to go down the hall towards the back of the restaurant and then down a flight of stairs where it's kind of dark and deserted. I always get a very unsettling feeling when I am down there. :eeek:

The restaurant itself is very nice. :)

2805534578_9efce4e156.jpg

pnwEvents.jpg

325930photo3.jpg

Old photo:

pignwhistleinterior577.jpg

In the original restaurant, the candy counter and ice cream parlor was in the front of the restaurant and the actual dining area was in the back.

Interesting fact about the Pig n Whistle:

When the Pig n Whistle originally closed it's doors in 1949, nearby Miceli's purchased much of the original furniture from the old Pig n Whistle restaurant where it still remains today. :) The Pig n Whistle re-opened it's doors again (as the Pig n Whistle) in 2001.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Old Number 2

This is hands down my favorite historic building in my city! Old Fire Station number 2, built in the 1930s. Every few years, the city threatens to sell it, I get my hopes up, then the neighbors complain and the city gives in! Just hope, that if it ever does sells, the new owners dosn't ruin it, by sealing the doors and making the bays into office or living space.
IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4373.jpg

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
That's my hope for anyone that "inherits" a historic place. I hope they realize what they have is special and these "old buildings" just can't be replaced with anything else. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Fire Station #4

This is old Fire Station number 4. It was built in 1904, and operated horse drawn equipment until January 9, 1917, making it the last company to convert to motorised vehicles. It closed in 1971, and was used variously by the police department and the Flight For Life helicopter. It is now owned by the Fire Fighter museum. Even though it is not the best neighbor hood, I would love to own it. I'm sure the old brass fire pole is gone, but, I just found out they are still being made new, sure would be fun! The ultimate big boy toy.
Fire.jpg
Fire2.jpg

You wouldn't know it but from 1938 to 1942 this Miami police station had been the Max Fleischer Studios. Many of the Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons were made there as well as the feature length Gulliver's Travels.

FleischerBldg.jpg

Though now it's fenced off, this was originally the front entrance
FleischerBldg2.jpg

Personality+Boys.jpg

In this rear view you can see what was originally the screening room.
FleischerBldg3.jpg

Last edited:

Nikki

New in Town
The Alamo

70448420wQ7Ql65lTheAlamoAtFirstLight_44091.jpg

I've have often referred to the Alamo as my Alamo. I know I don't really own it but my favorite joke is that I do.

My all time favorite building is Denman House in Denman Estate Park. The house was built in 1937 and almost nothing has changed. My husband and I will renew our wedding vows next year and I chose Denman House as our venue. This was after my husband told me we couldn't have a wedding party in front of the Alamo.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
As of now, my favorite historic place would be where I live, Troy NY. Troy is the home and final resting place of Uncle Sam and is often referred to and known as the "Collar City" since Troy was a manufacturing center for shirts, shirtwaists, collars and cuffs. Although Troy was known for those industries, it also had a hand in the steel making industry. One of the 'big' names in the steel & iron industry in Troy was Burden Irons Works, they had the most powerful (at the time) vertical water wheel which has been said to influence Ferris in the creation of the Ferris Wheel. There is a lot more I can talk about when it comes to Troy, but I'll save it for another time. I consider myself very lucky to live in such a historical and influential area of NY.

As for other historical places, I've been to Manhattan, Boston, and Washington D.C., I fell in love with all three. I wish I could just go back in time and walk down the cobblestone roads and feel and experience what it was like to live in those places when they were first starting out.

I'm a fireman so I love firefighting history, naturally, so if I could pick any historical place to go it would hands down have to be any firehouse on the East Coast of the US that was built before 1940. The craftmanship that weas put into those buildings unfortunately wont be seen again. Walking into one of those firehouses, especially if kept up well, would be like walking back into time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy