Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Horror Flick?

Panache

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
Other originals that was much better in original form : Taxi (amazing french movie/movies), Nightwatch (danish horror flick), one missed call (japanese horror) - they haven't heard of subtitles?!

Ah but those films all feature actors who aren't Americans! We all know that Americans only watch films with Americans in them... shakeshead

Cheers

Jamie

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Jamie, it still makes my hair stand on end every time I see it. A true classic of suspense, atmosphere and creeping terror.

Panache said:
Two Gun Bob,

I tip my plumed hat to you for listing the British "Night of the Demon" instead of the shorter American released "Curse of the Demon".

Wonderful movie.

Cheers

Jamie

Panache

A-List Customer
Two Gun Bob said:
Jamie, it still makes my hair stand on end every time I see it. A true classic of suspense, atmosphere and creeping terror.

Niall MacGinnis creates such a wonderful villian in Prof. Karswell. Dana Andrews is also well cast. Having the very Amewrican Dana Andrews as the skeptic amongst the English plays very well.

"Sure, some of my best friends are ghosts."

Cheers

Jamie

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I quite agree. And although I enjoy 'The Magnificent Seven' I still much prefer the original 'Seven Samurai' by Kurosawa in Japanese with subtitles! Must get 'The Seventh Seal' some time too :eek:

By the way, I am attentive to girls who wear glasses :eek:

Darhling said:
Other originals that was much better in original form : Taxi (amazing french movie/movies), Nightwatch (danish horror flick), one missed call (japanese horror) - they haven't heard of subtitles?!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I finally figured out why Americans cannot deal with subtitles. Some Americans cannot read fast enough. I am not kidding. A philistine at work told me "I hate foreign films. I hate readin' them subtitles. They go by too fast."

No joke. To my credit I said nothing rude to him -- but cringed inside.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
No joke indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if we find that happening here in England, as we seem to have a lot of problems with teenagers leaving school with poor reading and other skills lately.

Whether it's poor teaching, increasing stupidity or a non-stop diet of TV cartoons I'm not sure, but it's very worrying :rolleyes:

Doran said:
I finally figured out why Americans cannot deal with subtitles. Some Americans cannot read fast enough. I am not kidding. A philistine at work told me "I hate foreign films. I hate readin' them subtitles. They go by too fast."

No joke. To my credit I said nothing rude to him -- but cringed inside.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two Gun Bob said:
Whether it's poor teaching, increasing stupidity or a non-stop diet of TV cartoons I'm not sure, but it's very worrying :rolleyes:

Very few things worry me more on a cultural level (obviously, murderous hurricanes and earthquakes worry me more in general, as those occur on a physical level and produce biological death). This is a cultural death, or a cultural sickness, a weakening.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Tom Hank's hair in "The DaVinci Code"....lol

Seriously though...I just gave an interview for our local paper on this subject. One film I recommended was The Stepfather from 1987, starring Terry O'Quinn (Locke from LOST). It's suspenseful and scary without being overly bloody. Also the original "Willy Wonka" I think is terrifying. Gene Wilder is like demonic in it. I can't believe it is for kids!

The most off-putting, scariest of all time is ERASERHEAD!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Wrong Turn" is a straight to DVD flick that is a good modern "B"-movie (like an old drive-in movie I might have seen in the '70's). If you're looking for a fun and mindless horror flick its pretty good. BEWARE: theres a "Wrong Turn 2" that I haven't seen but can't possibly be good. This was a one shot type of movie!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doran said:
However, I'm posting today to explain a FASCINATING horror film I recently watched, namely Session 9. I cannot recall if anyone has mentioned it already and I don't feel like rereading all the posts on this thread. It's got a minimum of gore and is truly, truly creepy. {{{{{{{{{{{{SLIGHT SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}
A small crew of working-class asbestos removal technicians go into an immense mental hospital closed under the Reagan "send 'em out on the streets!" years (or are those the Foucault "Madness should not be locked up" years?). One of the workers is obsessed with a particular case he had heard about. He finds her file in the busted up office and finds tapes of interviews between her and her shrink. She had multiple personalities, each of which speaks in a different voice, and THAT'S CREEPY and that's all I'll say ... and bad stuff starts happening to the workers.

Damn good film. I must recommend it most heartily. Again, minimal gore.

Session 9 is more suspense/thriller than horror, but its one of my favorites.

LD

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Has anyone here seen Audition? I doubt very much that I'll gather up the courage to watch it, but I'd like to hear if it is really as scary as it is made out to be.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust said:
Has anyone here seen Audition? I doubt very much that I'll gather up the courage to watch it, but I'd like to hear if it is really as scary as it is made out to be.

That movie is whack! I own it but I don't think I could bring myself to watch it again. The Japanese sure know what they're doing in the horror department!

A.R. McVintage

Does it go for, as Stephen King describes it, terror (the cerebral, look-over-your-shoulder feeling) or the gross-out (the, "Well, yeah, I guess it would be pretty bad to have someone flay my skin off with a potato peeler," feeling)?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
Does it go for, as Stephen King describes it, terror (the cerebral, look-over-your-shoulder feeling) or the gross-out (the, "Well, yeah, I guess it would be pretty bad to have someone flay my skin off with a potato peeler," feeling)?

It's a mix of both.

Story

I'll Lock Up
This has potential.

First there was Dawn of the Dead, then came Shaun of the Dead, so it seemed like only a matter of time before some enterprising filmmaker gifted us all with Juan of the Dead -- and it's finally happened. The guys over at Quiet Earth scored early details on a new Cuban-Spanish-Mexican co-production set on Fidel's island during a zombie outbreak.

http://www.horrorsquad.com/2010/05/13/juan-of-the-dead-set-to-save-cuba-from-the-zombie-apocalypse/?icid=main|aim|dl7|link7|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.horrorsquad.com%2F2010%2F05%2F13%2Fjuan-of-the-dead-set-to-save-cuba-from-the-zombie-apocalypse%2F

Atomic Age

Practically Family
When I was a little kid, the first time I ever remember being scared but something was the 1972 TV movie called The Night Stalker. It was later made into the TV show Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

The original TV movie involved a serial killer, who actually turned out to be a vampire. I was 6 years old when I saw this. I remember for weeks after that I didn't want to be alone. I remember riding my big wheel around the to the side of the house, and realizing that I was all alone (mind you this was in the middle of the day) and getting up and running back into the house so the vampire wouldn't get me.

Doug

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Atomic Age said:
When I was a little kid, the first time I ever remember being scared but something was the 1972 TV movie called The Night Stalker. It was later made into the TV show Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

The original TV movie involved a serial killer, who actually turned out to be a vampire. I was 6 years old when I saw this. I remember for weeks after that I didn't want to be alone. I remember riding my big wheel around the to the side of the house, and realizing that I was all alone (mind you this was in the middle of the day) and getting up and running back into the house so the vampire wouldn't get me.

Doug

Ooh, I have the box set - I love this series! Seeing it as an adult I really enjoy what Darren McGavin does with the role. Very 30's wise-cracking reporter type. Hechtian, would you say?

This wasn't my first scare but coincidentally, the first one I can recall was crying and begging my mother to leave the theatre during the warehouse scene in Blacula! (What I was doing in the there at such a tender age I know not!) Also, a friend and myself had plotted to run away from home together; upon seeing the original Nosferatu on the telly that plan was nipped in the bud!

SkullCowboy

New in Town
It's hard to call out one favorite, but a short list would include:

The Mummy (1932)
Both of The Thing flicks (1951 & 1982)
The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Jaws (1975)
Alien (1979)

And for fun:
Army of Darkness (1992)
Slither (2006)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot