Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Horror Flick?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I can't believe noone has mentioned Phantasm?

How is that for 1979 cult horror?

oh...and The Cube.

I loved CUBE. You mean the one where the strangers wake up in that room with identical rooms and traps in some of them and they don't know how they got there, right? With the Berkeley liberal guessing it's the Government behind it and the working class cop guessing it's Corporations. Great film. I didn't care much for the sequel, although it told more.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Doran said:
I loved CUBE. You mean the one where the strangers wake up in that room with identical rooms and traps in some of them and they don't know how they got there, right? With the Berkeley liberal guessing it's the Government behind it and the working class cop guessing it's Corporations. Great film. I didn't care much for the sequel, although it told more.

YES! That is the one. I guess that makes two people on the face of the planet that have actually seen and liked the movie! ;)

I have an old VHS of it kicking around that I bought at a (ready for this) supermarket. I need a DVD of it stat!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
YES! That is the one. I guess that makes two people on the face of the planet that have actually seen and liked the movie! ;)

I have an old VHS of it kicking around that I bought at a (ready for this) supermarket. I need a DVD of it stat!

I have seen the cube aswell.. it was good - but it wasn't wow - I haven't seen the sequel but it would nice with some more background info for the cube-thing

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Darhling said:
I have seen the cube aswell.. it was good - but it wasn't wow - I haven't seen the sequel but it would nice with some more background info for the cube-thing

It has wow moments...just not typical wow moments. Make sense? I have an Über weird sense of taste.

Dr Doran

CUBE <SPOILERS>

desi_de_lu_lu said:

<SPOILERS>

That was a really good film because aside from the science fictionality of it or horrorness of it, it was like a play. An existential sort of play like Sartre's End Game. The characters were a bit hyped up but I recognized people I know. The female Berkeley doctor was dead-on picture perfect paranoid liberal feminist. The cop was dead-on macho, tough, cunning, suspicious, in the end a very violent man. That actor would have made a nice Othello. The computer slacker character was so true to life of the people I have met in such professions in Silicon Valley and SF -- a nihilistic layabout -- I loved the cop's ragging against him. The computer geek girl -- man have I met those types in Berkeley too.

The final scene with the autistic guy emerging alone into the daylight had a symbolism to it that was unfathomable but effective. All in white clothes like that, he looked like a figure from an allegory. Marvelous.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
The film is reek with symbolicism.. the first time I watched it wasn't for any other reason than to see it out of curiosity... then the subsequent times I watched it I started to see the symbolicism and it made me think. I remember thinking that it had some philosophical premises... and the filmmakers did put some thought into the characters and they were trying to say something. But not being clever enough, I just didn't know what it was. lol

I have read/heard some say that Cube has some Kafkaesque quality.. but the last time I read any Kafka or seen any films (Kafka) was back in 1991. I am now interested in watching both films to refresh my memory.

Dr Doran

desi_de_lu_lu said:
I have read/heard some say that Cube has some Kafkaesque quality.. but the last time I read any Kafka or seen any films (Kafka) was back in 1991. I am now interested in watching both films to refresh my memory.

The first film when seen alone is quite Kafkaesque because there is no definitive explanation of the Cube's existence. The second film explains it ... so the Kafkaesque (or Twilight Zone-esque) quality thereby dissipates. It becomes more of a sci fi thing than a weird parable about people stuck in a room with only each other and their own horrible personalities, which is one reason why the first film shone for me.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Doran said:
The first film when seen alone is quite Kafkaesque because there is no definitive explanation of the Cube's existence. The second film explains it ... so the Kafkaesque (or Twilight Zone-esque) quality thereby dissipates. It becomes more of a sci fi thing than a weird parable about people stuck in a room with only each other and their own horrible personalities, which is one reason why the first film shone for me.

I need to get my hands on the second film then. (cube) Because believe it or not... I still don't know after all these years.

Unless you tell me...LOL

Dr Doran

desi_de_lu_lu said:
I need to get my hands on the second film then. (cube) Because believe it or not... I still don't know after all these years.

Unless you tell me...LOL

Eh, just see it.

There's some juicy cannibalism in the second one, so if you like that, you'll be pleased.

Juicy.

I loved that part of it, at least.

Maguire

Practically Family
Doran said:
- WHAT DO WE DO NOW?

- WE WAIT.
A great ending too, its open ended, the good guys "lose", but you're not really let down. Great, creepy feeling, it would have been a classic even if they had never shown an alien (and the special effects ruled when they did).

Dr Doran

SESSION 9

.... Hmmm, well, I guess no one has seen Cannibal Holocaust. Or, also very likely, those who have seen it won't admit it. """""""""""VERY MILD SPOILERS"""""""""""""
It's a 1970s (my least favorite era in general, but some interesting films) sick film about a team of gonzo anthropologist/reporter hippie types who go into the South American jungle and proceed to film their own abuse a cannibal tribe until bad things happen. Structurally the film is interesting as mostly you see a real anthropologist watching their film. He was sent to find them and found only the cans of film and the corpses.

However, I'm posting today to explain a FASCINATING horror film I recently watched, namely Session 9. I cannot recall if anyone has mentioned it already and I don't feel like rereading all the posts on this thread. It's got a minimum of gore and is truly, truly creepy. {{{{{{{{{{{{SLIGHT SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}
A small crew of working-class asbestos removal technicians go into an immense mental hospital closed under the Reagan "send 'em out on the streets!" years (or are those the Foucault "Madness should not be locked up" years?). One of the workers is obsessed with a particular case he had heard about. He finds her file in the busted up office and finds tapes of interviews between her and her shrink. She had multiple personalities, each of which speaks in a different voice, and THAT'S CREEPY and that's all I'll say ... and bad stuff starts happening to the workers.

Damn good film. I must recommend it most heartily. Again, minimal gore.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
.... Hmmm, well, I guess no one has seen Cannibal Holocaust. Or, also very likely, those who have seen it won't admit it. """""""""""VERY MILD SPOILERS"""""""""""""
It's a 1970s (my least favorite era in general, but some interesting films) sick film about a team of gonzo anthropologist/reporter hippie types who go into the South American jungle and proceed to film their own abuse a cannibal tribe until bad things happen. Structurally the film is interesting as mostly you see a real anthropologist watching their film. He was sent to find them and found only the cans of film and the corpses.

However, I'm posting today to explain a FASCINATING horror film I recently watched, namely Session 9. I cannot recall if anyone has mentioned it already and I don't feel like rereading all the posts on this thread. It's got a minimum of gore and is truly, truly creepy. {{{{{{{{{{{{SLIGHT SPOILERS}}}}}}}}}}
A small crew of working-class asbestos removal technicians go into an immense mental hospital closed under the Reagan "send 'em out on the streets!" years (or are those the Foucault "Madness should not be locked up" years?). One of the workers is obsessed with a particular case he had heard about. He finds her file in the busted up office and finds tapes of interviews between her and her shrink. She had multiple personalities, each of which speaks in a different voice, and THAT'S CREEPY and that's all I'll say ... and bad stuff starts happening to the workers.

Damn good film. I must recommend it most heartily. Again, minimal gore.

Thanks for the tip about session 9! I tried to really keep my eyes away from th espoiler part :)

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
The three best-ever horror films:

1. Night of the Demon (1957)

Nightofthedemonposter.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon

2. The Devil Rides Out (1966)

Thedevilridesout.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil_Rides_Out_(film)

3. The Wicker Man (1973)

TheWickerMan_UKrelease_Poster.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man_(1973_film)

There are many other classics, and I love anything starring Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi or Peter Lorre (especially Roger Corman's work and the early Universal horrors). Also anything from the Hammer stable.

I don't do slasher movies, they have neither story nor suspense nor pathos, only "shock (or schlock!) and bore".

I guess that makes me a "vintage horror" fan :eek:

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Yes, the remake was truly HORRIBLE :D

The American movie industry should never try to remake British classics, it just doesn't work. Cases in point: Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Lavender Hill Mob, all doggy doo of the worst kind and by no means unique *yucky*

Darhling said:
Oh the Wicker Man!! I loved that too!! wasn't there made a terrible re-make?

Panache

A-List Customer
Two Gun Bob,

I tip my plumed hat to you for listing the British "Night of the Demon" instead of the shorter American released "Curse of the Demon".

Wonderful movie.

Cheers

Jamie

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Two Gun Bob said:
Yes, the remake was truly HORRIBLE :D

The American movie industry should never try to remake British classics, it just doesn't work. Cases in point: Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Lavender Hill Mob, all doggy doo of the worst kind and by no means unique *yucky*

Other originals that was much better in original form : Taxi (amazing french movie/movies), Nightwatch (danish horror flick), one missed call (japanese horror) - they haven't heard of subtitles?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot