Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

TabbyKat

New in Town
katiemakeup said:
You know, I want to love Chanel No.5 especially because it's iconic, but it doesn't do a thing for me...[huh]

My mother wore it when I was growing up, her mother wore it when my Mum was growing up. Its kind of a family thing. Other than Coco, it is the only Chanel I like. The newer ones are a bit too "kicky" for my tastes. [huh]

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I wear Chanel's Gardenia,which can be a devil to find.I'm not sure how long it's been around,the 30s perhaps?
My sense of smell has changed since I've gotten older.I never liked floraly notes in my perfumes til I hit 30 and now I'd say Gardenia is pretty strong on it's floral note.In fact,I like it to smell as much like the flower as possible.
Hmmm,I may have to look for a rose or lavender scent for a bit of a change.

Viviene

Vendor
My grandmother still wears Chantilly to this day and I can't separate that scent from thinking of her (she will be 90 in December). My mother wore Windsong which was always bought for her by my father every Christmas (when I am missing her dreadfully I put some on and it helps a bit). My own favorite scent is Shalimar by Guerlain.

My favorite scent on my husband is Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels.

What I find really amusing is that my DH works for Givaudan Fragrances, a company that produces scents for many perfume companies, Yankee candles and many other companies such as soap companies but all the scents that I like are not made by them. DH always comes home from work smelling lovely from being around the scent compounds all day which is a plus!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear Chanel's Gardenia,which can be a devil to find.I'm not sure how long it's been around,the 30s perhaps?

It was released in 1925. The reason it is so hard to find is that they use a special type of gardenia that is only available (or at its best) every few growing seasons (this is what I was told at a number of Chanel counters :))

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Martini Slayer said:
Oh, I agree with Miss Bella Hell... I always loved the way Chanel No 5 smelled on my grandma... I like it on me too.. But it never smelled the same on me as it did on her.. I guess it works with a persons body chemestry?
Body chemistry plays a big part on how a scent 'wears' on you. This is why it never works to smell a parfume on a piece of paper and think it will be the one for you.
Here is my trick: Find two parfumes that you are interested in. Spray them on seperate wrists. Go walking down the aisles for a good 30min. then smell. The best thing is to snag a guy and ask what he thinks. For the easily intimidated, chances are good you will not be turned down, but for extra insurance, just do some batting of the eyes and a big smile :D

TabbyKat

New in Town
CherryRed said:
No Channel No5 for me either:(
My favorites are Nina Ricci's L'Air Du Temps, Coty's Emeraude, and Ceasar's Woman.

Awww! My mom STILL has a bottle of L'Air Du Temps from when her and my daddy got married. It was the fragrance she wore before I was born. She apparently switched to Chanel after their divorce, but says the bottle was too pretty to throw out. She also loves Emeraude. Fancy that. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
I keep Chanel No. 5 in my purse - I like it as a 'fall back' scent.

Might be a bit too heady or sweet for some with the vanilla, but I have to admit my favourite is Hypnotic Poison - must be something to do with ice cream! :p

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Did anyone ever get a chance to smell Leap from The Body Shop? They released it about 8-9 years(?) ago in honor of that particular year being a leap year. It smelled so good, very light and crisp with fruity top notes. The Body Shop carried it into the next year, then took it off the shelves. This past leap year I checked the stores to see if they had brought it back and sadly, they hadn't.

If anyone had a chance to smell this scent, and knows of one that is similar, please let me know. :)

fleur

One of the Regulars
For all you violet fans out there I just remembered one I used to wear daily (I have it on today too actually!)

Its Sentiment by Escada. Its nice and light and feminine. Reminds me of happy times :)

lavendar lady

New in Town
I love

I have a few perfumes that are my favorite:Flowerbomb and Ralph.There are a few more.I am very lucky though,my sister works for Rlalph Lauren.(macys).
She always lets me know what is out.My hubby loves the thought of free colonge.

L.L.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I find Flowerbomb very similar to Coco Mademoiselle. It has the same bergamot top note, with jasmine, rose and patchouli. It is pretty.

It is nice, but not really a particular favorite of mine. It has also been banned in some airports because the bottle is shaped like a grenade.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I used to wear Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea in the beginning of high school, and then L'Occitane's Rose perfume.

Now I wear Calvin Klein Eternity Moment or Calvin Klein Obsession (I think?) Night. My boyfriend's mom got me a Calvin Klein perfume set for Christmas last year, and some of them are really nice!

lavendar lady

New in Town
It smells like

It smells like flower petals that are crushed( i am sorry but i do not how to discribe the flower smell.) When i first got it i did not care for the smell, but it gradually won me over.I am very happy now that i have it i have. Gone thru one bottle. And she is right.(Tourbillion). The bottle looks like a grenade.Yikes better keep this one home.

L.L.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is Jessica McClintock #3, but it's discontinued. I can still get it on ebay tho!
Here's the description:
Radiant Lilac opens with hints of crisp sparkling Waterfruits skillfully woven through the naturally elegant and airy floral top notes and extends into the heart of the fragrance where it marries with a floral bouquet of Transparent Jasmine, Muguet des Bois and White Rose Buds that lends signature to the fragrance.

I also have Clinique Happy and Ralph Lauren Romance. I'm glad you brought up this thread tho, I would like to go out and sniff something new!

I've always been a musk fan too. Walmart had a White River Musk in the body spray that I loved.. but no more. : (

Jen there are a two bottles of LEAP on ebay now, one going for over $50!!
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Nikki

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
A few of my favorites are Stella Absolute Rose by Stella McCartney, Quelques Fleurs, and Chic by Carolina Herrera. I also enjoy Coco Mademoiselle but tend to reserve it for special occasions. I suppose I tend to go for flowery scents!

Brooksie

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
Hi Ladies

I was just interested to hear your favourite perfumes.

I stopped wearing it about a year ago as it was making me sneeze and my eyes water constantly. However - a friend dragged me through the department store at the weekend and we were stood in the perfume section from some time and do you know what, I didn't sneeze once!

Maybe it was a passing allergy, or maybe it was just that one type I had been using at the time. Either way, I am thinking of purchasing a small bottle and giving it a whirl, so would love to hear your suggestions!

Hi Landgirl,

I have perfume sensitivitys that come and go, when I have problems I will go several months whithout wearing perfume and then it seams to get better then I can wear it again for a few months. For a vintage scent I like Shalimar for non-vintage-Angel and for natural perfume-Aveda "Love" oil.

Brooksie

Jenautica

Familiar Face

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy