Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
Can anyone recommend a perfume that smells like real roses? It seems that all the rose perfumes that I find are too sweet smelling. They never quite smell like the real thing.

You can find rose oil online and use that. Its lovely.

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm one of these crazy women that think they have to "grow up" and make their perfume do the same thing. When I was a young girl, I wore Sunflowers, which is a nice sunny fragrance. Then I switched to Splendor (a mellow fragrance), until I became a mom, and turned 25. Now the only thing I will wear is Chanel No. 5.

I went to Paris with No. 5 on, and the woman at the Chanel store tried to argue me into Madmoiselle. (Which does NOTHING for me, BTW.) Until I pulled out my bottle she didn't believe I wore No. 5. Either way, it's my one luxury. I didn't wear it for any other reason then my son smelled it at the counter, conned a really nice sized sample from the lady (he was about 18 months old, and it is the purse sized spritzer, which I still have in my purse) and gave it to me saying "pretty, mommy, pretty". I wore it for about a week (getting patted and told pretty everytime he smelled it) and that cinched it. Single mom, boy telling you pretty, what else are you gonna do? [huh] He will still sit at my dressing table and smell my bottle, or stand right up on me and smell me. Now he's just a bit more poetic. I just got told "Mommy, you smell like a garden of pretty flowers." Few weeks ago, we were out and a little old lady was next to us, wearing the same perfume, and he turned, smelled her and said "Ah! Another pretty woman! You smell like an Angel playing soccer in heaven!" (Don't ask, I sometimes think my son is a con artist in disguise. It did get him a pinch on the cheek and a $5 bill, much to my dismay.)

My mom wore Cinnabar for forever and a day. I never liked it, and so I bought her 5th avenue. And the latter fits her much better (my mom is the palest Nell Carter alive. I swear they were seperated at birth).

Shearer

Practically Family
Any recommendations?

I'm going on a girly shopping trip this week and I need a new scent.

I've constantly been on the search for my one-and-only scent, and the ones I pick never last!

Anyone find any new scents this year that they're in love with? I usually like spicy, musky, or rosy type perfumes but I sniff everything at the cosmetics counters.

The last perfume I fell in love with was Miss Dior Cherie, which is very sugary and flowery. Of course I went ahead and bought the big size bottle, but I'm really bummed because the scent went off quite soon!

Currently, I'm wearing Lulu Guinness, which smells very rosy on me, but I need a change. I tried her Fairytales and I like it, but it wears a little like baby powder on my skin.

Also, has anyone tried Demeter scents? They make all kinds of sprays, lotions, and oils based on everything, and I do mean everything. There's even a scent called Funeral Home (don't worry, it's based on flower arrangements :D ) I wear their Thunderstorm and Snow every now and then, but they are hard to find off-line and I don't like to buy without sniffing!;)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I have Code too Starla, I don't know what it is about that one, but I feel so fabulous wearing it, I reserve it for occasions where I think I may feel uncomfortable, and it makes me strut like a queen every time:D

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread I am somewhat of an addict, I have opinions on perfume such as what should be worn in the summer, winter, and to casual or formal occasions, and natually must have one or two scents to accomodate each.

I am the lucky gal who took GOK up on her offer of Coco Chanel eau de parfum, and though I didn't like the smell in the bottle, it smells lovely on me! Classic and feminine, like I always wanted Chanel No. 5 to smell on me. My boyfriend likes my Emporio Armani "she". I'm also a fan of Dyptique "philosykos" which smells just like figs! I wear that in the summer.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Irish Perfume

I have to say I love Chanel as well but my everyday perfume is Inis. It's from Ireland and I love it. I can't find it anywhere in the states but it's easy enough to buy online. I think it's slightly musky, which works on me. I like Clinique Happy and some brand of Lucky that I forget, but Lucky smelled sort of like body odor (which defeats the purpose) on me and Happy just didn't smell the same.

Shearer

Practically Family
Katydid said:
I have to say I love Chanel as well but my everyday perfume is Inis. It's from Ireland and I love it. I can't find it anywhere in the states but it's easy enough to buy online. I think it's slightly musky, which works on me. I like Clinique Happy and some brand of Lucky that I forget, but Lucky smelled sort of like body odor (which defeats the purpose) on me and Happy just didn't smell the same.

That's so funny! I was going to mention Inis, but I didn't think anyone else would know what I was talking about. I actually wore the lotion today without any scent on top and it stayed with me all day!

CanadaDoll and starla... I'll definitely be checking out the Armani scents. You ladies gave it quite the write up :)

Bella_Hell... I know what you're talking about with the seasonal thing. I didn't wear that Dior all Winter and on the first warm day here in Cali I broke it out and it smelled terrible! So disappointing! If I had my way I would wear one scent for day, one for night... even sleep in one! I'm very scent oriented... I go around sniffing everything and anything :D

Miss_Bella_Hell

Shearer said:
Bella_Hell... I know what you're talking about with the seasonal thing. I didn't wear that Dior all Winter and on the first warm day here in Cali I broke it out and it smelled terrible! So disappointing! If I had my way I would wear one scent for day, one for night... even sleep in one! I'm very scent oriented... I go around sniffing everything and anything :D

Which Dior? My mom wears one of his. It smells really nice on her! (My mom is the coolest, incidentally.) Don't you hate when you wait forever to use something and then it's a let down! Oh well, on to ebay it goes.

BegintheBeguine

Serendipity

I also love heavy scents! Just bought 2 bottles of Tabu and the lotion. I had forgotten about Spellbound which is weird because I love the scent, the movie and the song. My mom just gave me a bottle of Dana Classic Wisteria for lighter days. AND in the latest Harper's Bazaar (I think) there is a scent strip for OPIUM of all things. Yay!

Shearer

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Which Dior? My mom wears one of his. It smells really nice on her! (My mom is the coolest, incidentally.) Don't you hate when you wait forever to use something and then it's a let down! Oh well, on to ebay it goes.

Miss Dior Cherie. It came out... hmmm, a couple of years ago as an update on a vintage scent. To me, it smells like strawberries, caramel, and popcorn on top of floral though I've heard some people can't smell the popcorn. It was actually very pretty and playful for a spring scent but I'm sad it died in the bottle so quickly! It started smelling really metallic on my skin.

I have about 3/4 of a giant bottle size left so I tried it out as a room spray today so it didn't go to waste, and it actually smells okay :rolleyes: I think it's just going to get chucked, so lesson learned (quit buying giant bottles.)

goldwyn_girl, ITG, and BegintheBeguine: I'm diligently writing down everyone's suggestions! :) I don't think I've ever smelled Tabu, although I've always wanted to. My mom was a Shalimar woman and my Granny wore Youth Dew so both of those perfumes transport me back in time.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Perfume Addict!

Oh...I am a perfume addict from WAY back! I remember my first fragrance which was Heaven Scent. Also have fun memories of the Avon lady making her rounds and all 6 of the females in our family sitting around and getting samples in the little foil packets! What a splurge and a treat when Mom would buy us a fragrance!

I, too, tend to like the heavier scents, as did my Mom. I must have 30 bottles of fragrance on hand. (And for a long time I saved the empty bottles, thinking I would do something really creative with them, but they took up tons of room!)

One fragrance that people stop me on the street to ask about is Red Door. It is absolutely delicious. I consider it my signature fragrance. On a little lighter note, there's Mariella Burani-- it lasts a long time and has distinct vanilla undertones. Lovely. I also like Georgio, J. Del Pozzo "In Black", Calandre, J'Adore, Red, Carolina Herrera, Rive Gauche (YSL), and about a zilllion others. I WISH "My Sin" (Lanvin) and "Via" (also Lanvin) were still on the market. LOVED them!! I don't think there has been a day in may life since I was 12 or so that I haven't worn fragrance--it is an essential! My husband is nuts about fragrance on me (and I'm nuts about HIM!)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I'm proud to be the third generation Opium lady in the family... both my Maga and my Mum have sworn by their signature scent for ages, so I guess I just followed in their footsteps! I really only wear a scent for special occasions, but I'd love to find a good daytime scent to start wearing more often.

Rosebud

New in Town
My Mum wore Chanel no 5 and smelt devine but on me it smells of baby powder. Such a shame :cry:

My most favourite perfume is Samsara by Guerlain, closely followed by White Linen by Estee Lauder and Body Shop's Sandalwood.

One of my Westies has the best smell, she smells of Digestive biscuits, yummy lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy