Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feathers in your hatbands?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
But feathers can also be too much.

As is the case here with this fuzzy little stingy brim from The Halle Bros. Company, a defunct department store in Cleveland. This particular style hat is called the "Halletrend". :)

The pin combined with the gaudy band and the feathers in the "feather vase" thing is just too much. :eusa_doh:

60shatcollectionHalletrend6-78004.jpg

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
No, thank you.

I think the feather, small or large, takes away from the clean lines of a good hat. Don't need it, don't want it.

funneman

Practically Family
Feathers?

I've tried to like them, I really have, but I just don't like them on my hats.

It's the first thing to go when a new hat arrives.

I'm always amused at how much space auction sellers devote to describing the feathers on the hats they are selling, when chances are the feather will wind up residing in the box the hat came in.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
My girlfriend now has a nice vintage feather collection: the first thing I do when I receive a hat is pull the feather out. Hate em.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I don't own a fedora yet (still looking for just the right one). I don't like feathers, it makes them look goofy like one gentleman mentioned. Also, a bird seeing a feather on my head...I don't need to give them a bullseye, once is enough for me.... Though, with a fedora, a poop bomb from that distance just might give me the crease I'm looking for...

Haversack

One Too Many
For myself personally, I do not care for feathers. If I am doing Elizabethan or Cavalier, sure. But not for my one everyday wear.

On the Tyrolean and other German hats, the "Bart" and other animal-derived decorations are usually hunting trophies and are earned. Wearing them without paying the dues is rather like claiming to be a shellback without going through the ceremony.

Haversack.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
My Stetson Sutley came with a feather when I bought it a couple of years ago. It looked nice so I left it there. Not too garrish at all, nice and subtle. Sort of classes up an otherwise Indyish looking lid.

Cheers!

Dan

NightRaven

New in Town
For me it kind of depends on the situation, when I'm out in business or need to dress conservatively, I wear a grey hat unadorned.
But, if I'm going out on town or to a party, or also when I'm hiking in the woods, I'll usually put a feather in my hat.
Mind you, I've never bought a hat with a feather, I prefer to use feathers I find myself. A straight white feather can be very elegant, or sometimes a black feather with a blue shine.
I remember once I was out on town, a stranger came up to me, looked at my hat for a while and then asked me "Dude, where did you buy that feather?" He was kind of dissapointed when I told him I'd just found it, as he'd been looking for a place to buy hat-feathers. (He was a hat-man himself)

- NightRaven

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
NightRaven, A black feather with a blue sheen would seem perfect considering your name.;)
I would be disappointed if you said you didn't like feathers in your hat.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i was the epitome of anti feather second i got my hat it was tossed into the box, however your debate provoked me to give the feather another chance and ive now gone to the other side of the spectrum i really like the added colors of the feather.

silvereed

Familiar Face
Feathers

Alot of the old and new Fedora's come with feathers. I always remove them. What about you guys and girls? Odd, in all the Film Noir I watch , I never see hats with feathers either.

Rooster

Practically Family
I don't care for feathers in men's hats either. But if I was going to put one in my hat band, I'd go pluck a 2' sickle feather out of one of my roosters, now that would make a statement....lol
makethumb.jpg
[/IMG]

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
I don't care for feathers in men's hats either. But if I was going to put one in my hat band, I'd go pluck a 2' sickle feather out of one of my roosters, now that would make a statement....lol

I think it'd be even more of a statement if you did it the other way around! lol

roosterhat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21