Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation IV DLX Q's

Owney_Madden

New in Town
Hey everybody, im about to order one from hatsdirect. I emailed them a few days ago and have yet to hear from them. SO i figured i would ask the forum here.
does anyone know if they are readily available and what kind of wait time i would be looking at before it arrived?? I heard there was a big wait on moonstone, is this still the case? i hope not

Also sizing, my head is about 23 1/4 around. according to their site that puts me at a 59, i dont want the hat to be too tight or shrink slightly and become tight. should i go with a 60? What kind of experience with shrinkage have you guys had?

Do you guys think that a good hat shop could put a nice bound brim edge on the fed like the stylemaster??

Lots of questions i know, but i want to know what im getting into here before i step in!

Thanks guys!!

MattJH

One Too Many
I can't offer help on the other questions, but as far as size, if your circumference is 23 1/4", then definitely get the 60cm. It's far easier to shrink a hat than stretch a hat, if necessary.

HatsDirect is extremely reliable. You shouldn't have any customer-service-related worries.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi OM welcome to the Lounge.

My wait on Fed Deluxe IV Moonstone was 3 weeks to be sent then 2 weeks travel time.

Hats Direct say what they mean and mean what they say. I also bought Brown Fed Deluxe IV that was shipped immediately:)

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
... I also bought Brown Fed Deluxe IV that was shipped immediately:)
PICS????

Hey OM...check your PM for contact info at HD...it's just another addy from an e-mail I received from them before. So maybe they check that more often the one linked on their site. Dunno. But it works for me. Not certain it would be appropriate to post here so I PM'ed ya with it. I wrote them yesterday to check on a Casual my friend that doesn't have internet wants me to order and they replied already.

Also asked about my Dark Brown FIVD that should be here by now. They said that for some reason they've been hearing that US deliveries are taking a bit longer the past few weeks.

Rambling reference that may assist:
CB is correct. I wrote asking about a Fed IV 60 in Moonstome. Was advised that Moonstone is about a three week lead time before it even ships. My Casual I ordered from HD was on my doorstep in about a week from the day I received e-mail notice of shipment. Fed IV D and Hampton... been two weeks since notice of shipping. They are either still on the slow boat or my mailman is wearing a big ass hat on his little head when he's not on my block.

So, figure at least 4-6 weeks for a Fed IV Moonie. But write HD and see.

MattJH

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
I would, Goose, but I am a-scared that someone will not like it and say so:eek:

You can drop your guard. Nobody here has ever done anything like that that I've ever seen. You could even volunteer to ask for opinions! You've seen other threads like it here; you know how it's handled. All you'll get is encouragement in one form or another.

Carlisle Blues

MattJH said:
You can drop your guard. Nobody here has ever done anything like that that I've ever seen. You could even volunteer to ask for opinions! You've seen other threads like it here; you know how it's handled. All you'll get is encouragement in one form or another.

DJ just kidding;) This place is great, people are generous with thoughtful comments and information.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I have had four (? + ?) transactions with HatsDirect and found them to be supremely helpful, communicative and responsive. Now I could carp about their packaging decisions, but no harm done in my case - at least nothing I couldn't fix!

If there's a delay I'm sure there's a very good reason. Shoot them an e-mail and they'll respond and fill you in.

IMHO, the deluxe Fed is a very good choice. About binding I cannot say, but on the two Akubras I have with binding, I'd say they do a fine job. You could inquire. They might accommodate you with some custom work since they are so intimately tied to the manufacturer. ;)

- Bill

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
PICS????
They said that for some reason they've been hearing that US deliveries are taking a bit longer the past few weeks.

Perhaps the US powers-that-be are waking up to the real possibility of the entire continental shelf sinking and flooding under the weight of imported rabbit felt... :D
They named that movie wrong, it should have been 'The Day After Akubra'...

N. :)

Carlisle Blues

Goose you didn't say my hats look nice. I feel really bad.
icon9.gif

I am gonna post where I can be appreciated and people will give me nothing but compliments:p

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Goose you didn't say my hats look nice. I feel really bad.
icon9.gif

I am gonna post where I can be appreciated and people will give me nothing but compliments:p
Was going too but didn't wanna get b-slapped for thread jack :p

Carlisle Blues

Goose. said:
Was going too but didn't wanna get b-slapped for thread jack :p

Ok I feel better now :D I mean you like me!!! You really like me!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

But I now realize that this is not "your" thread or mine I will remove my pix and post to another sandbox:( :( lol lol

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Ok I feel better now :D I mean you like me!!! You really like me!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

But I now realize that this is not "your" thread or mine I will remove my pix and post to another sandbox:( :( lol lol
Been there, done that...still neither one of our threads, but it's more "thread related" I guess.
Here it is:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=740550#post740550

G

gwold

Reliable Hat Sizes?

I could use the help of experience, here, since I have so little. I am about *this* close to pulling the trigger on a Fed IV, but am a bit skittish as to size, given the distance involved--I'm in eastern PA, USA, and would rather not have to ship hats back & forth more than necessary.

I've had a Stetson Firenze for a couple of years now. It's a 61 (7-5/8), and fits with a very nice snugness. I'd measured my head with a dressmaker's tape, ordered what I read--good deal.

About a month and a half ago, I bought a Resistol 3X Cattleman. I'd done a little research first, so knew Resistol & Stetson are both made by the same manufacturer. So I ordered the hat at 61. Not only was it too big, but the step down to 60 seems too little, as well. The 60 (that I decided to keep) is fine front-to-back, but has gaps on the sides. When it finishes breaking in, I expect I'll need to pad the band.

Now, I've measured my head, and I find this odd: I've heard most people shrink as they age, but didn't expect it to be *around* the skull. No, no appreciable hair loss--most of that went during & shortly after college. Anyway, today I'm a 59.5.

I could ask why the Firenze fits so well, but figure like everything else, each maker has their own sizing. Why does the Resistol fit differently, though?

And most importantly: What does my experience mean for that Fed IV?

Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany