Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge app

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
With over 11,000 members, wouldn't it be nice if one of us developed a free "app" for the Fedora Lounge so members could more easily keep up to date with developments while out and about?

I know there are quite a few iPhone and mac'sters who would appreciate it!

:p

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm not a developer, but I do know it would take considerable time to devote to an app for posting. We might be able to support something like the existing Tapatalk app, but it's up to MK.

donCarlos

Practically Family
This forum needs quite a lot of memory, but our modern mobile devices can handle it either via its standard browser or via something like Opera Mobile. This is not facebook, there is no need for a special application.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Lenore said:
If this goes anywhere, don't forget us s60 users...

Not everyone has an iPhone.. lol

What's an s60 now? I dont even have a cell phone. Got rid of it in February.. Never been happier.

Now if people want me they can knock.

(I have had a cell phone since 1998.. I just.. - failed to continue to see the purpose for one).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
Not being much of a computer geek, I have to ask---what is an app? I'm actually posting this from my Blackberry. Am I using an app and don't know it? AF

Yes you are! "App" was popularized via the iPhone/Pod. Blackberry's use the same technology - It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm for it! My iPhone is my life and the rest of the world in the palm of my hand! :eek:

Me too. I think this technology is a great portal into vintage!

donCarlos said:
This is not facebook, there is no need for a special application.

Why would you presume to tell me what I don't need? [huh] I never said there was a need anyway, I said "wouldn't it be cool if...." :mad:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
C-dot said:
Yes you are! "App" was popularized via the iPhone/Pod. Blackberry's use the same technology - It's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. :)

Thank you, C-dot. I love my Blackberry, and I find it generally easy to use, but I doubt that I'll ever do much posting from it. At age fifty-three, my eyes are such that I struggle to see its tiny keybord. :eek:

AF

donCarlos

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Why would you presume to tell me what I don't need? [huh] I never said there was a need anyway, I said "wouldn't it be cool if...." :mad:
OK, it would be kinda´ cool.
I´m not telling you what you don´t need - it´s just the fact that this forum can be properly displayed and used in mobile browsers.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
It's too much a pain in the butt to put into place, I think, and the change to the board would be drastic... but what I think would've been cool instead of any "app", is to spend time developing TFL into a quasi-social-networking site. (Don't gag just yet!)

I've seen some forums-addons that allow members to have a wall/photos/about-me section similar to facebook.. and well, just the idea that if the members had a spot where we could all look at their collections, their styles, and what's goin on with them- aside from the forum, while being neatly arranged and smartly aligned and sharp-looking?

well that'd be cool.

BUTTTT

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

:)

That's my take.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"What about "Chat Salon" or are they old hat?"

med_bell_switchboard.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
NY_Confidential said:
What's an s60 now?

Symbian, or s60, is the operating system used on Nokia smartphones and some other mobile phone companies. More popular in Europe and Asia than here in the states. (Sadly, I'm sending this from my Nokia e71.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
what would an 'app' specific to the FL do that a mobile based web browser cannot do?

Load the FL without having you need to bookmark things?

I am honestly unsure what other functionality is wanted here, that would stay within the bounds of the vbulletin message board software.

This would be the main issue I can see....places that have dedicated apps like facebook, are built with custom made code, so when they go to make the 'app', they can change both the website and the app coding around to make things work. We use an off the shelf package, which does not allow that.

Which means I honestly think that any app that one could code and would work, is going to be based on a browser app, and then that raises the question of 'what would make it different then a current browser app?'

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
what would an 'app' specific to the FL do that a mobile based web browser cannot do?

Load the FL without having you need to bookmark things?

I am honestly unsure what other functionality is wanted here, that would stay within the bounds of the vbulletin message board software.

This would be the main issue I can see....places that have dedicated apps like facebook, are built with custom made code, so when they go to make the 'app', they can change both the website and the app coding around to make things work. We use an off the shelf package, which does not allow that.

Which means I honestly think that any app that one could code and would work, is going to be based on a browser app, and then that raises the question of 'what would make it different then a current browser app?'

Of course, those of us that can make bookmark shortcuts might find an app superfluous. If FL had a more social networking interface (ie. facebook, myspace, etc) I could see the point of an App, but as it is a forum, I believe there really is too much information to warrant an app. Basically, I see it as facebook and myspace the information comes to you and with forums, you go in search of the information.

Just put a web bookmark on your home screen and you're good to go. :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
What a wacky response to the best answer- :p

Actually some of the best ideas in the world started out as being "wacky" ideas. :rolleyes:

BellyTank said:

OK ;)

Let me explain it this way - I can browse eBay on my mobile browser (Safari) and pinch and expand the screen all I like. But I have the free eBay app. I don't have to have it.... but I want to, it makes the experience better. If someone starts telling me that there is no need for me to have this app... well, that just yanks my chain!

I'm not aware of what would be needed for an app, heck I don't really, really want one.... I just said "wouldn't it be nice" as in wouldn't it be nice if my phone battery lasted a month - sure it'd be nice but not really possible right now.

Maybe I should stay off the Obs Bar - I haven't been here in years.... :eek:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
I'm not aware of what would be needed for an app, heck I don't really, really want one.... I just said "wouldn't it be nice" as in wouldn't it be nice if my phone battery lasted a month - sure it'd be nice but not really possible right now.

Just so you know....mine was a serious question...not a 'dissuasion' one.

I honestly want to know -what- you would want in such an app.

Not that I program apps....but I do determine 'user requirements' for systems...and it would be a step in the right direction to say 'what' you want...

posting things, or just reading....etc.....I mean you say it would be cool....but its always going to be on small screen....so I am trying to envision what functionality you want that still wont be cramped and small.

help me out here?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
I mean you say it would be cool....but its always going to be on small screen....so I am trying to envision what functionality you want that still wont be cramped and small.

help me out here?

An excellent point indeed. I hadn't thought it through, just threw the idea out there (fuzzy front end stuff!) I guess what I like about the eBay is that the fonts are pre formated to fit the screen without re-adjusting (pinching and spreading). Also, the info is neatly divided up onto tabs at the top (readable ones!) Also the pictures are in a picture tab. Corollary to the FL? Simply a mobile version of the site, where it fits the screen and is easy to navigate. Surely vBullitin are working on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy