Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fedora through the wash...any way to fix?

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I'm asking this for a friend (who isn't part of this forum)
His mom was doing his laundry one day and put his fedora through the wash. Is there any way to fix the fedora?
It's 100% cotton, and I don't have a picture of it :(
EDIT: he says it's flattened out and won't get straightened out

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Anachronism said:
I'm asking this for a friend (who isn't part of this forum)
His mom was doing his laundry one day and put his fedora through the wash. Is there any way to fix the fedora?
It's 100% cotton, and I don't have a picture of it :(

:eek: lol :eusa_doh:

did she throw it in the dryer too?

did it shrink or does it still fit?

get it wet & have him wear it on his head till it dries or just have his mom buy him a new one .... at least it wasn't fur felt, gawd!!:D

----------------
Now playing: Medicine Drum - Skeleton Crew
via FoxyTunes

Corky

Practically Family
Have your friend take his mother to a reliable optician...

Either this woman needs to have her eyes checked or she is losing her bearings.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My first reaction was that perhaps it's a Fisherman's hat like Gilligan wore...in which case it's supposed to be pretty much shapeless. He could dampen it, partially fill a plastic milk with water, pull the hat over it and let it sit until dry - that might at least put some shape back in it.

Frankly, if it's really a cotton Fedora, it's time for him to find a felt one or a Panama to replace it. I very much doubt that he can restore any particular shape to it.

And yes, his mom needs her eyes checked.

pauljmuk

New in Town
"ok, it's wash day..... let me see.....

oh yeah, here's the wash basket..... in go the socks, in go the pants....... there's the t-shirts..... a pair of jeans,............................................ oh and that looks like a hat.

okey dokey, close the door and start the programme..

JAY........... ZUSS

:eusa_doh:

(DAMN, I LOVE YOU AVATAR BY THE WAY!)

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Chances are that Mommy Dearest was trying to eliminate the hat. When I was a teenager, I had a favorite (and admittedly hideous) shirt that my mother hated. Every chance she got, she washed it in hot water and dried it on high heat. It took it for a while, but ultimately succumbed.

galopede

One of the Regulars
He should think himself lucky! Several years ago, a friend's mother put his favourite Barbour waxed jacket through the wash while he was out! She reckoned it looked a bit grubby so put it on a hot wash too...

Gareth

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Your friend should be careful. He might end up in the machine next time...:eusa_doh:

As for suggestions, I can't think of anything the others haven't already mentioned. If the hat turns out to not be salvageable, then perhaps it would be a good time for your friend to "upgrade", and pick out a new fedora. Just don't let his mom touch it!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
If it was a fabric hat, then I can see why she may have thought it was washable by machine. Perfectly understandable, in my opinion. People should check care labels, no doubt. Still, if it is an all fabric fedora it should be a small matter to replace it (unless it was by Anthony Pieto or some other very expensive brand).

If it had starch or a stiffener in the crown/brim that helped it retain its shape, it is probably no longer salvageable.

Don't let people fool you into thinking that only a felt/straw hat is the way to go. Light fabric (such as cotton or linen) fedoras are preferred by some people, and they are certainly great choices for summer and spring hats. Light, breathable, and usually pretty stylish.

I had an all cotton Dockers fedora that I found at JC Penny on sale for 10 dollars a year or two ago. I wore it for an entire summer, and it was a great hat. I prefer straw and felt, but material like cotton and linen are perfectly respectable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner