Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
And the hat I took with me.
20150711b.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Nice pics and nice hat, Joao (sorry I got your name wrong when I replied to you in the Classified...my eyes don't see as well as they used to).

Headed over to Florence, AL in the quad-cities area early yesterday morning in support of the missus latest triathlon race. She had an Olympic size race this morning and I was her support (think sherpa) crew. Thought some of you might enjoy a few pics of NW AL where the race took place. The quad cities area is where Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals and Tuscumbia come together along the Tennessee river. Quite a bit of history in this area.
This is the park where the race started. Sorry for the disoriented photos. I was using her phone.
image.jpg
The open water portion of the swim was in the Tennessee river.
image.jpg
The bluffs across from us are on the Sheffield side of the river and in spots are more than 100' high in spots and houses are built all along them.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The Edward A. O'Neal bridge that connects Florence to Sheffield. O'Neal was a Civil War veteran who was the 26th Governor of the state. O'Neal, who was from Madison Co., AL went to college in Florence at what is now the University of North Alabama. O'Neal is buried in Florence. The cover on the bridge is due to maintenance work.
image.jpg
An historical marker which speaks to some of the history in the area.
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 114

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Sunday went to another drive but this time to the west part of Portugal. This part of Portugal have a weird weather.
Started to go to 2 train stations, "Dois Portos" and "Torres Vedras".
20150712a.jpg

20150712b.jpg

Soon this railcar appeared. It was built with a Budd license in Portugal and refurbished several times, still running but not with the original Rolls-Royce engines.
20150712c.jpg

This small airfield is near Santa Cruz beach. A AlphaJet aircraft is there.
20150712d.jpg

Have I told the weather is weird? Near coastal line it's clouded and cold.
20150712e.jpg

Headed to "Mafra". Near the "Convento de Mafra" was a bread festival running.
20150712f.jpg

20150712i.jpg

Lots of music and people dancing.
20150712h.jpg

While I was eating a "Pão com chourisso" and drinking some wine.
20150712g.jpg

I have to say this hat made a lot of impression on the bread festival. And I made it!
20150712.jpg

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
..."Torres Vedras"...Headed to "Mafra". Near the "Convento de Mafra" was a bread festival running...While I was eating a "Pão com chourisso"

Great hat João! Love the wide brim.
I used to live in Torres Vedras (among other places) many years ago and miss it alot. Convento de Mafra is an amazing place and I miss dearly (Eu tenho saudades) Pão com chourico.

Cheers,
Kevin

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Click on the photo, and when it opens in the new window click on it again and it'll rotate 90° to the proper viewing position.
That works. Thank you.

Great hat João! Love the wide brim.
I used to live in Torres Vedras (among other places) many years ago and miss it alot. Convento de Mafra is an amazing place and I miss dearly (Eu tenho saudades) Pão com chourico.
Are you Portuguese? Pão com chouriço is something we can't live without ;)

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Are you Portuguese? Pão com chouriço is something we can't live without ;)

Nope, not Portuguese (American) just lived there a couple of years. Lived in Carregado, Lisboa (4 different places, last one was Quinta das Laranjeiras which is close to the airport), Torres Vedras and Camacha (Madeira). Just waiting for the my littlest to turn 6 or 7 years old and then will take the family to visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats