Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Great river pics Bamaboots. It's been a good while since I was last up that way, but I really like going to downtown Florence. It's like stepping back in time.

Joao once again, great photos and thanks for sharing Portugal. The chourico bread looks delicious.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Chouriço bread is something you should try but not all chouriços works.
"Pasteis de Nata" (most commonly known as "Pasteis de Belém") is also something beyond explanation ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
A drive again but a bit more far, this time near Abrantes.

This is the last coal power plant. Coal is transported from Sines to this powerplant and are the heaviest train running in Portugal
abrantes01.jpg

This is the Tagus river (+/-) 100 kms up. A train bridge can be seen. Coal for the Powerplant crosses it.
abrantes02.jpg

This is a old Lisbon tram converted in a pizza place.
abrantes03.jpg

This is a tipical place in the Tagus river south bank.
abrantes04.jpg

"Vila Nova da Barquinha" train Station. No train...
abrantes05.jpg

Went to watch some "Rancho Folclorico", this one were some friends perform dancing. Some big brims but low low crowns.
abrantes06.jpg

abrantes07.jpg

abrantes08.jpg

abrantes09.jpg

More great pics, Joao!
I'm always intrigued at how much the train stations there (and a lot of the other architecture) reminds me of the ones in Ukraine. Especially the smaller towns. And the coal power plant looks just like one that is a few miles away from where I live. I guess those designs are pretty international.

While not exactly "afield," I thought I'd take you folks on my morning stroll and show you some of my town.

IMG_0786.JPG
Leo the Lion and me in my partially refurbed Stetson Premier Milan.

IMG_0788.JPG
Leo at one time sat at the corner of First and Monument Streets downtown, in front of Steele High School. If memory serves me correctly, the students took up a collection to buy him in the 40s or 50s. They tore down the HS years ago, but Leo was moved to the front lawn of the Dayton Art Institute, an area known as Steele's Hill.

IMG_0791.JPG
The Dayton Art Institute, which is just a couple blocks from my house. At one time, Jonathan Winters was a student here. We regularly attend concerts and other events here, and it's the site of the city's Oktoberfest. It's nice to be within walking distance of one of the biggest parties of the year!

IMG_0790.JPG
The Masonic Temple, which sits right by the DAI. Not pictured is the Greek Orthodox Church. All three institutions sit high on Steele's Hill overlooking the Great Miami River, and present a very picturesque view to the travellers along I-75 through town

IMG_0793.JPG
Another view of the Masonic Temple and DAI. The Greek Orthodox Church sits out of view to the right of the art museum.

Last edited:
IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0792.JPG
A couple of views of the skyline, first from the front steps of the DAI, then from along the levee in front of one of the neighborhoods bordering downtown, known as MacPhersontown. The blue line on the wall to the left in the second photo is a representation of the height of the water during the 1913 flood, a disaster that wiped out a good portion of the city and resulted in The Miami Conservancy District, which operates and maintains a series of dams and reservoirs in the area designed to keep the waters at bay. So far, so good! Because of this, we are one of the few areas in the country whose waterways are not directly managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Thanks, I hope you enjoyed a slice of The Gem City, or Funkytown, as I like to call it.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Great photos, Joao. Thanks for sharing.
@Joao and Bama.............great pics!!! I love that stuff!!!:eusa_clap
Glad you liked.

More great pics, Joao!
I'm always intrigued at how much the train stations there (and a lot of the other architecture) reminds me of the ones in Ukraine. Especially the smaller towns. And the coal power plant looks just like one that is a few miles away from where I live. I guess those designs are pretty international.
Train Station buildings design is almost the same in all network. Some have a smaller 2nd floor, some have a bigger 1st floor, some with only 1 floor, some with bigger buildings on big towns. All terminus are not the same.
About Ukraine, I've never been there nor never search anything train related from them.
Power plants are something of international design, same as nuclear power plants. This one I believe already have 1 generator running on natural gas. Train track to there was almost not electrified, only the "Linha do Norte" was so diesel power was used. Later they electrified half of the track, so Diesel to that point and electric locomotives beyond that. Only with the Euro 2004 all track got electrified, so now only electric locos are used. It kind of lost interest. It was nice to ear the triple locomotive set on the "Serra de Grandola". Funny fact -> triple diesel locos = 6600CV -> Double electric lococ = 15000cv and carry less than the triple diesel.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Adventure of this weekend... exploring an old railroad tunnel and climbing up a little mountain called "Morro da Cruz". After some dificulties in the woods and climbind a slippy path in the rocky flank of the mountain, the reward of a beautifull view, including an amazing waterfall called "Waterfall of Santa Luzia" which has about 350 feet high.

img-1.jpg img-4.jpg img-21.jpg img-40.jpg img-48.jpg img-53.jpg img-56.jpg img-60.jpg img-75.jpg img-79.jpg img-96.jpg Maps.jpg

g.durand

One Too Many
My brother and his daughter were visiting last week so we played tourist and visited some of the SF Bay Area highlights.

A stroll through a redwood grove.
DSCN1349_zpsrqsmzggx.jpg

Point Reyes National Seashore.
IMG_4241_zpsftmrpcmy.jpg

A clear day afforded a good view of the Farallon Islands, about twenty miles offshore.
IMG_4242_zpsi4l6ub81.jpg

IMG_4230_zpsxogyjugs.jpg

At the Sausalito waterfront.
IMG_4283_zpsdtkkjzrk.jpg

IMG_4286_zpsacjnhusm.jpg

A late afternoon hike along the Bay shore.
IMG_4294_zpsbzbyeqqg.jpg

IMG_4290_zpsk4vtx3oh.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
The family took a long weekend in Chattanooga, TN before the kids go back to school (man, already?). One of my favorite towns of all time. Historic architecture, old brick, bridges, and super friendly people. A great combo! My father took me here when I was a kid, so I am getting sentimental bringing my children here at the same age as I was. We came up here last April. The weather is a tad bit hotter this time of year. Muggy, too. I've already sweat right through to the felt on the two Stetsons I brought. I even keep a handkerchief with me to wipe the excess sweat off my forehead and from the sweatband.

For the trip, I packed a Stetson 3XB, Stetson lightweight, and a Dobbs Panama (clockwise from right). The wide brims were excellent choices for the sunny days.

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8710.jpg

We did the amphibious DUKW trucks (ducks) for a tour up the Tennessee River along the bluff. It was a little overpriced, but what isn't these days. The first evening we went to Lupi's Pizza (a local favorite) that I haven't been to in almost 20 years!! Oh boy, it was super tasty. Afterwards, we went to a frozen yogurt joint called, "Top Off". I thought their logo was pretty cool.

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

After grabbing a cup of delicious local cappuccino, I noticed an old pub on Market St. that I hadn't been to in 20 years. I had a fake ID back then. :)

IMG_8718.jpg

Then we traveled up Lookout Mountain on the Scenic Railway. It was pretty cool; my wife is scared of heights; I can appreciate heights, but I do prefer staying close to the ground. The railway wasn't bad, until the seats started leaning forward on a steep angle. I mustered it and took some pics.

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8736.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes