Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I thank you for your kind words about our visit to Naples
The city and its surroundings are worth the trip
156xu6w.jpg

2yyzifm.jpg

The Nativity of Cuciniello (1879)

Alan "Vedi Napoli e poi muori" need an ancient Neapolitan response;)
2j5i1e0.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With my Dad for Passover (behind me, his portrait of my mom from the time they were married in 1946)... quiet and peaceful at the beach before the return of summer revelers.

pesach1.jpg

pesach2.jpg

pesach3.jpg

pesach4.jpg

pesach5.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Alan. I love that portrait of your mom. It's great!

Hawthorn Hill (link goes to Wiki page) is the Wright Family home, located in Oakwood, OH, which is a suburb of Dayton. Oakwood is located just south of the University of Dayton. Orville and Wilbur intended for it to be their joint home, along with their family. Unfortunately, Wilbur succumbed to typhoid fever and never saw the home finished. Orville, his father Milton, and Sister Katherine lived in the home, beginning in 1914. The home is not often open to the public (it was owned by NCR and used as a guesthouse for visiting dignitaries for many years), but yesterday, tours were available, sponsored by the Oakwood Historical Society. I've lived here all my life, but this is the first time I have gotten the opportunity to be in this beautiful house. Many of the original furnishings have been put back into their original places as the home continues to undergo work as part of the National Aviation Trail National Park. I took some photos...I hope everybody enjoys them.

Hawthorn Hill
Picture13.jpg

Not having a Stratoliner, of course I wore my Dalt-O-Liner
Picture16.jpg

A sculpture/award given to the Wright Brothers by the Aero Club of Sarthe, FR.
Picture14.jpg

Some period furniture, etc. which was used by the Wright family and are still in the home,
Picture11.jpg
Picture12.jpg

Naturally, I photographed some of the house's "guts." As an engineer, this is the stuff that interests me. Orville was always a tinkerer, and had a direct hand in the design and operation of much of the house's infrastructure, 1) Orville's workbench in the basement 2) the central vacuuming system 3) the furnace 4) a pot/still that I couldn't get close enough to read the label on. Of course, my thought was, "Hey, I could clean hats in that!"
Picture17.jpg
Picture19.jpg
Picture20.jpg
Picture21.jpg

Cont'd

Orville's bed, and a pretty cool shower in his bath. You are now thinking of Orville Wright taking a shower - sorry about that.
Picture25.jpg
Picture26.jpg

It was a very interesting afternoon, and the neighborhood itself has housed some interesting folks from the Dayton area, as well. I had no idea Cheez-its had a Dayton connection. Steven Wright, the great grandnephew of Wilbur and Orville, was showing some recently digitized home movies in the garage. The Wright family at dinners, sledding down the hill outside the house, the dedication of the Wright Bros Memorial, located out by Wright-Patterson AFB, etc. I naturally asked him if he knew where the Wright Brothers' signature bowlers were. He believed they might be in the Smithsonian, but wasn't certain.

Picture22.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed it.

With my Dad for Passover (behind me, his portrait of my mom from the time they were married in 1946)... quiet and peaceful at the beach before the return of summer revelers.

pesach1.jpg

pesach2.jpg

pesach3.jpg

pesach4.jpg

pesach5.jpg
Alan, I always enjoy your posts. Especially those with your family. You are so lucky to still have your Dad around. It is fantastic. I am sure your daughters enjoy it as well.
The portrait of your Mom is wonderful.
Not to be an advocate for smoking, but in that venue, it totally works. A smoking female from the day is something else. Love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24