Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

One hat, will travel.

IMG_1305.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Excellent, Karl! I love Cashel, been there many times, but never with a cool fedora!

i've been passing cashel by road since i was a child, was my first time going in, oddly enough, and only because the waitress in the pub we stopped in for lunch gave us a free pass. It was inaccessible for years and since the bypass...

We were located in a Masseria (ancient farm) near Ostuni View attachment 76104 surrounded b

i have visited such olive groves in sardinia which is the only part of italy i've been to twice as a good friend lives in Olbia. Ostuni looks beautiful, as per usual does that hat you are wearing well.

It's a quote taken from something he wrote describing his early life in Virginia City, as he blended in with the miners there. That was how they dressed, so he saw it as the uniform of the working man.
Could be but from what I recall he lived in Missouri until he began working as a riverboat captain about age 21. He worked the riverboats for about 5 yrs then joined for a short stint with the Confederacy when the War broke out. After that is when he headed West.

Maybe he saw Virginia City from the riverboat? He probably took some "poetic license" in his writing of his early life.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Could be but from what I recall he lived in Missouri until he began working as a riverboat captain about age 21. He worked the riverboats for about 5 yrs then joined for a short stint with the Confederacy when the War broke out. After that is when he headed West.

Maybe he saw Virginia City from the riverboat? He probably took some "poetic license" in his writing of his early life.
No, Virginia City is in Nevada, where he went during the silver boom, thinking to get rich. He is honest that he hated working that hard, and ended up getting a job at the newspaper there in that boom town, writing articles. When there wasn't enough news to write about, he began making things up, and his fiction career began. He wrote of this in Roughing It. After Virginia City he lived in San Francisco for a while, writing for a newspaper there. He also lived for a while in Calaveras County, home to the jumping frog contest that was one of his earliest works.

Yes I knew Virginia City was in NV. My "seeing it from the riverboat" comment was an attempt at being humorous. In your OP I assumed "early life" meant something entirely different; my apologies. I agree, after his short stint in the Confederacy he ended up in Virginia City after heading west in 1862 at the age of 27, & writing "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" some 3 yrs later at age 30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21