Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras in France

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Another wonderful trip we all get to enjoy with you.

I'm surprised they are still displaying the heads from the revolution though.

hatsxp7.jpg

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I suspect that the warm welcome you have received is due to a couple of factors.

First, the French admire style, and you certainly reflect that from the photos you have posted. Unfortunately, many travelers there seem to covet the cargo shorts and offensive t-shirt uniform. You two look terrific.

Second is the use of manners. I've seen so many people who never bother to learn anything about local language or culture. We all know that you can apologize without knowing the local words. I don't know if it's embarrassment (I suspect it is), so some tend to say nothing and move on.

I recall one of my biggest faux pas' one my first visit was wondering when the waiter was going to bring the check. :D

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Finally!

Thanks for defending the French a bit! I've been a student of (and now teacher of) French for 9 years now (graduate student in French lit) and I'm so glad people can step beyond the stereotypes and realize just how magical and lovely the French people and their country really are. They're a very special culture and it's so good to have them recognized for being so! Vive la France! (et le style) ;)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I must admit, it makes me want to visit. Which is good, because both the popular view and my fathers personal views were the "French are rude" line.

My dad had a couple of bad experiences. One (not even the fault of the French) was merely French Canadians - who were speaking English. He came up and asked them directions, they replied in French that they did not speak English, then resumed their English conversation as he walked away.

More influential, were some bad experiences with French underground types in WWII, and a farmer who turned him in when he escaped a prison camp transfer march.

In any case, he always seemed to have it in for the French. Imagine my surprise when we were going through his things after he passed away, and discovered he had carried on a correspondence with a fellow he met there for some years. So even he had good experiences…

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
HJ, what about the berets? I don't believe that you can leave without one. Some sort of law...they check at the airport... sarcasm mode off: I believe you'd look dashing in one,especially with a three-piece suit to complete the look.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Berets are not so common in France lol!! It's like saying that all american people wear cow boys hats!!! In the Basque country it's cultural, for the local events they all wear red berets!! AND NO!! We don't smell garlic!! lol!! We take showers and we don't all eat frog legs and snails (hum lol!! I have to say that I love snails and frog legs, but I'm the only one in my family. My mum can't even see them baked lol!!). Frog legs look like little/tiny chicken wings... Most of french people love the americans!! Anti americanism is a few few few part of the population!! American people (not only but...) saved us in WWII (Normandie).... It's in our blood... We can't forget it!!

dr greg

One Too Many
attitude

I haven't been to Paris for 20 years now, but I remember that it was definitely style-conscious to the degree that the very worst excesses of the 80's in men's fashion were EVERYWHERE, because that was what was up-to-the-minute at the time...but it was ghastly, a lot more gaudy and gauche than the 70's when I spent some time there. I'm sure it's similarly avant-garde these days.
Rule one in France..NEVER start a conversation in English, no matter how bad your French is, you will be forgiven for at least attempting to speak their language and not PRESUMING that they should understand you.
Mind you, this holds true for most cultures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran